Increasing performance-strangely worried

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
That's great cheers. I will keep an eye on times. Here's my log of the hill so far. All have been maximal efforts. Bar the last one that prompted this thread.

IMG_20140522_154910.jpg

tadpole

I guess I'm the only person who really wants to ask Jason/Walter, "What colour is the regimental boat house in Hereford?" :smile:

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

Note down the wind directions and strength next time :thumbsup:

Especially with how much the wind has been changing lately
Good god! A good point finally from You squire ;) i log notable wind on strava as a note as well as equipment changes-what worked+what didnt. and main aim of ride, feeling etc. cheers for the suggestion

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
On a more serious note although the OP's progress is outside the norm it is not completely unusual.

It seems he had been racing before and therefore was trained to a reasonable extent. He then had a long lay off from training but in that time I presume he remained physically very active given his career, particularly his cardiovascular ability. Whilst adaptations can take a lot of effort to trigger in the body actually maintaining them does not.

Therefore when he got back into cycling a lot of his ability (especially CV ability) was still remaining and it is taking a few weeks for S.A.I.D (specific adaptation to imposed demand) to kick in and tap back into that fully.

As for the specific sharp improvement on one ride again that is not an inexplicable phenomenon. I experienced similar thing with weight training where I could go into the gym and smash a P.B out of the blue. Maybe a combination of a lot of things coming together all at one time (properly rested / recovered / strong mental state / fully hydrated and feed / good conditions / sheer luck.)

The question is whether this improvement is repeatable over time and becomes a trend and when the OP plateaus (which he will) whether he can then break that.

That explains a lot to me as I was very active in sport as a youngster . In a physical job all my working life and now jumping on a bike . Thankyou for posting that .

Last edited:
OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

Update*

Original post times
Screenshot_2014-06-01-19-32-09.png

Screenshot_2014-06-01-19-31-57.png

New times* diet today (6packets of crisps and 8 cigs.) Not good!
New times*
Screenshot_2014-06-01-19-26-17.png

Screenshot_2014-06-01-19-31-22.png

All part of a hilly 70 miler... I just dont know anymore

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
[QUOTE 3113395, member: 30090"]Nothing at all? Surely if you are going quicker you are getting better/more efficient? Or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]
Riding in a group, drafting a vehicle, tailwind?

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

This thread is not about KOMs.
Add 15 seconds onto my before and after times and we arrive at the same place. Performance increase

Top Bottom