Increasing performance-strangely worried

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Smoking doesnt impede performance other than slowing recovery.
Pardon?
(and I say that as an ex-smoker)
:wacko:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The only thing we've learnt today, is that he doesnt have the intestinal fortitude to put his body through the hurt locker for TT's.

Which doesnt really surprise me tbh.

montage

God Almighty
The only thing we've learnt today, is that he doesnt have the intestinal fortitude to put his body through the hurt locker for TT's.

Which doesnt really surprise me tbh.

The only thing that we really want to learn, the burning question within, is why does MacDonalds not sell hotdogs???

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I rode 200miles, rest assured I have the kit and the shoes :biggrin: no, good advice thanks. Ill have both in 2 weeks anyway. Just deciding what first. Probably frame though. Could do with a week less on a huge one as I'm ever concerned about injuries etc

Phones accurate. Skipped a beat once that I posted about missing segments. I've confirmed with friends and speedo.

Anyone know if you can tether a garmin to your phone to upload to strava? Don't have pc

I have a Garmin Edge 800 and the only way to get data out of it is via USB cable to PC/Laptop or by plugging the memory card into something with a slot (so possibly a phone if it has said slot). I think there is a direct upload feature on the x10 models but possibly only direct to Garmin Connect. From there you would need to follow one of the methods suggested here to get the data into Strava http://www.sports.franzkelsch.com/2013/03/garmin-edge-810-to-strava/

michaelcycle

On a more serious note although the OP's progress is outside the norm it is not completely unusual.

It seems he had been racing before and therefore was trained to a reasonable extent. He then had a long lay off from training but in that time I presume he remained physically very active given his career, particularly his cardiovascular ability. Whilst adaptations can take a lot of effort to trigger in the body actually maintaining them does not.

Therefore when he got back into cycling a lot of his ability (especially CV ability) was still remaining and it is taking a few weeks for S.A.I.D (specific adaptation to imposed demand) to kick in and tap back into that fully.

As for the specific sharp improvement on one ride again that is not an inexplicable phenomenon. I experienced similar thing with weight training where I could go into the gym and smash a P.B out of the blue. Maybe a combination of a lot of things coming together all at one time (properly rested / recovered / strong mental state / fully hydrated and feed / good conditions / sheer luck.)

The question is whether this improvement is repeatable over time and becomes a trend and when the OP plateaus (which he will) whether he can then break that.

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
On a more serious note although the OP's progress is outside the norm it is not completely unusual.

It seems he had been racing before and therefore was trained to a reasonable extent. He then had a long lay off from training but in that time I presume he remained physically very active given his career, particularly his cardiovascular ability. Whilst adaptations can take a lot of effort to trigger in the body actually maintaining them does not.

Therefore when he got back into cycling a lot of his ability (especially CV ability) was still remaining and it is taking a few weeks for S.A.I.D (specific adaptation to imposed demand) to kick in and tap back into that fully.

As for the specific sharp improvement on one ride again that is not an inexplicable phenomenon. I experienced similar thing with weight training where I could go into the gym and smash a P.B out of the blue. Maybe a combination of a lot of things coming together all at one time (properly rested / recovered / strong mental state / fully hydrated and feed / good conditions / sheer luck.)

The question is whether this improvement is repeatable over time and becomes a trend and when the OP plateaus (which he will) whether he can then break that.
Thanks for that! Got everything in one post. Quality
How many repeats @that time would you recommend achieving to assume it is solidly repeatable?
Cheers

michaelcycle

Thanks for that! Got everything in one post. Quality
How many repeats @that time would you recommend achieving to assume it is solidly repeatable?
Cheers

I'd say every try the same ride every 3-4 weeks over 3 months and see where you're at. No hard and fast rule really.

Alternatively, if performance really is your bag you could hire a power meter or find a gym with a Wattbike and do a ramp test now and again in 3 months to check.

Top Bottom