Increasing performance-strangely worried

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Maybe the smoking is the reason for the performance increase?

Altitude training has also become common among endurance athletes, because it has been associated with an increase in performance and in serum hemoglobin and hematocrit levels. However, this response is transient — the physiologic variables return to their baseline soon after the athlete returns to sea level.2 This moderate performance benefit is outweighed by several severe and life-threatening risks, including pulmonary edema,3 cerebral edema4 and severe flatulence.5
While athletes endanger their careers and well-being in attempts to gain small benefits with illicit or inconvenient practices, a legal, nonprescription alternative has been largely ignored by athletes, coaches and exercise physiologists alike. Cigarette smoking has been shown to increase serum hemoglobin and hematocrit levels, increase lung volume and stimulate weight loss — characteristics all known to enhance performance in endurance sports.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3001541/

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
What GPS device do you have Jason. Remember you were going to buy a HRM the other day (when you bought the tyres) did you look at a Garmin that can do both?
Getting garmin on Monday. Or a smaller frame. Decisions decisions. Using android phone

KneesUp

Guru
Oh really... Hows that going for you? If its not apparent already, I'm not interested in riding average. I'm interested in breaking people. Can't be done by me in TT
It's going great, thanks. The bike I use most is perfectly suited to the roads I ride it on and the use I put it to.

I don't understand why you don't get a big old heavy bike to be honest. If you can push that around at whatever speed you need to "break" someone (is it like in the Hadron Collider? I'm not clear on this bit) then you'll be really flying on your bike. Which presumably isn't "average" but is apparently a "POS"

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

leave off, it diminishes lung function and attaches carbon monoxide to your haemoglobin. Stopping smoking would be the first and best step you could take for performance and your general health and wealth.
Thank you. First bit of advice on this thread. Could use fewer easy rest days

Last edited by a moderator:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
No, I like to know who I am talking too, don't you?
Not really , i'll talk to anyone .

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

Top Bottom