Indexing gears..Shimano XT RD-T8000-SGS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi all,

I did ask this in one of my other threads but thought here may be a better option,,

My Scott Sub Cross 10 is fitted with the Shimano XT RD-T8000-SGS / Shadow Type / 30 Speed derailleur...

Today I noticed that when I changed down a gear it worked perfect i.e small to large, but when changing up, for instance the large cog to the next one it did not seem to do anything... until I clicked the lever again... but not between every change, seems more the first two..

I presume that something has changed since they fixed my damaged spokes, not sure how as I only took in the wheel..or is that not possible?

Any idea what I need to do to fix this?

I have read about indexing but there is no adjuster on the derailleur itself only on the lever which looking at the manual online is the adjuster, but I turned this clockwise about a 1/4 turn and it now seems to have turned as far as it will go...

Maybe I have read the instructions below wrong..

Since adjusting (if that is what I have in fact done) if I lift the rear wheel and change up and down it seems to work OK, but when riding it seems to stick... any idea?

A visit to the shop may be in order. lol.

Stuart

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Definitely worth rechecking the indexing if the wheel's been off, IMHO. Check some Youtube videos. It's not difficult once you get the hang of it.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I did ask on one of the Scott Facebook pages and a friend and they suggest I check to make sure I actually put the wheel back in right, which is a possibility as it was OK before it was removed for the spokes to be replaced on Wednesday...

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Just been out.. wheel looks ok... plus I have just tried lifting the wheel again and going up and down in sequence... up and down each gear top to bottom and then between each one, and worked perfect everytime.. even between the largest and the next gear which seemed to play up this morning .. What would make a difference between doing it by lifting the wheel and riding, could me riding on it cause a problem?

Will try it in the morning..

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

The wheel does look to be in OK... and as I say it worked perfect every time when I just lifted the back wheel even between the two it played up in... unless lubricating the pivots on the derailleur has worked... .I did degrease everything yesterday lubed the chain but not the pivots..

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Well I have just ben out again and it changes exactly how it should, so no idea what is wrong with it, if anything lol... it goes up and down as sweet as anything... unless it is when I sit on the bike..

Will find out in the morning when I go out..

If it does I may just take it to the shop and let them check it out for me..

One thing I have found is that the lever has two positions on down shifts, the first click moves one gear, the 2nd click moves two gears, no problem, but if I push to the full extent it is like it has three clicks and moves three gears :smile: not sure if it should do that, never noticed before..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's fine. Gears can sometimes not quite shift right and might need a quarter turn. Dirt, etc doesn't help. I wouldn't go round spraying de-greaser on bike parts willy nilly too often. Mechs just need a squirt of GT85 or similar on the pivots, but keep it away from the jockey wheel bearings.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Don't waste your money with the shop, just learn and practice. Gear indexing isn't rocket science.

That is what I did, just sprayed some GT85 on all the pivot points so maybe it was just sticking a little for some reason, I only use degreaser once in a while and I did yesterday and lubed the chain but not the pivot points...

Problem is I know bikes are fairly simple things but I don't like messing with things I know nothing about so I would sooner pay a few pounds and know its done right... I will see how it goes in the morning, based on all the changes I have tried this afternoon whilst lifting the wheel it worked perfect every time, so fingers crossed it will on the road tomorrow morning lol...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bikes aren't that complicated, really. Gear changing on the stand (or lifted) is usually OK, but you sometimes need a slight turn on the adjuster when under load.

Best to practice it though. When shifting up to a larger rear sprocket, just give it a little bit more pressure over the 'click'.

Don't stress, ride.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I agree, practice makes perfect, but those are my big problems in life, always have been, I get paranoid, annoyed and stressed out when things are not right especially when I don't really know what I am doing..

Top Bottom