Indicators for bicycles - Magnetically attached and removable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johncycl

I have seen previous discussions regarding bicycle indicators and whether or not cyclists would use them. I am working for a start-up, KickStarter company called CYCL, and we have created our own version - WingLights. They are magnetically attached, and clip together to form a keyring. What does everyone think?
http://www.cycl.bike/

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Interesting, and possibly quite useful, although, being magnetic, I would be scared if they came off enroute, or were somehow knocked off (unless the magnet is so powerful it could attract a Warship!).

Also, what about rear indicators?? You cannot be too careful with idiot car drivers out there!!

It looks like a really great product, I'd be interested in testing them with a view to retailing them through my shop. You could lose the 'cycling needs to evolve bullsh!t' tho.

Sorry but there's no way I'd rely in those to signal my intention

Drivers don't look. If I needed to signal to move across a lane it would be a clear and definite signal I was confident they'd see. That product is not it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
And cars aren't used to seeing cycles with indicators? If a solution to lack of visibility of an arm signal is needed (I'm not sure it is, maybe in poor light) then a flashing ring around the riders wrist would be better IMHO, build it into a glove with a switch you can tap on and off with say your thumb against a switch on side of the index finger?

I have got a problem with the magnet bit in your design, that's quite neat

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
A good idea I think but it doesn't address the signaling to the vehicles behind.

Initial questions:

Are they powerful enough in daylight? Not sure.

Because they are activated with a tap they will be hard to fit somewhere so they signal to vehicles behind. Perhaps they should come with a handle bar extension so they are clearly seeing from the back too.

What about drop handlebars? Again, an extension but that would look weird and I don't think I'd be interested

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I think that my bar end mirror gives me greater safety and will receive far more use, I would not consider ditching those for a wing light a sensible swap nor one that increases my overall safety.

Why would I wish to make myself less distinctive as a bicycle and look more like a motorised vehicle to the casual/glance observation? How does that make me safer if someone doesn't pay sufficient attention noticing only the blinking amber and mistakes me for a vehicle with greater speed, protection?

How effective are they in broad daylight?

I'll have that they can be the same colour and frequency of car indicators, but same power from what looks like button cell batteries?

The inch+ wide reflective slap bands I wear on my wrists as indicators are larger in area, contrast strongly with skin or the clothing I wear, they are visible higher up in drivers eyeline and stick further out to clearly signal my intention and directional change, 2 of them cost me £4, there is no danger of a hefty bump in the road knocking them off (I've had lights come loose before let alone magnets & they wrap a couple of times around my wrist so will not slip or fall off accidentally, there is no danger that forgetting to remove them will see them vulnerable to theft and they require no power source to be fully operational.

Nowhere in your video do you show these from a following drivers eye viewpoint, you've shot from the front or side only, never from the same.road plane that the driver posing most danger to me is in. I would like to see them shot from a following drivers perspective to see how visible they are past the rider, particularly for the adjusting road position of a right turn, I suspect, if properly visible at all, they could easily be confused for a different orange light on a more distant vehicle and if anything make me less safe rather than more.

I can see that they would fit on drop bar bikes too but would be of very little effect viewed from the front, & again not compatible with bar end mirrors or shifters, also I think a well panniered trip from the supermarket or touring would obscure their effectiveness backwards, as would the riders legs on narrower bars.

How much time.and money and effort will you be putting in to educating drivers that you are pushing a product onto cyclists that is highly unusual to associate with a bike and looks much like they would expect to see on the corner of a car or top of a roadsweeper, utility van etc?

For what they are, they are a good example, up there with the same idea that is incorporated into a mirror,,tho that does give a tad more width and rearward visibility to the flashing parts than your idea, but what they are is still the problem for me and I don't think that you have answered all of the problems bike indicators pose, TBH I'm not convinced there are answers other than your casually & slightly fallaciously dismissed extended arm.

I note on your 1934 & today stick riders you conveniently forget to include any sort of hi viz glove & arm reflective / flashy, these are ubiquitous in cycle and sport shops and more diverse outlets for pennies for reflectives and a pounds for gloves as well as being a staple giveaway at cycle, running, sport events.
Added to which, I am 46 now, as a child I had an orange and reflective armband on my winter coat at my mums insistence & my teen/20+yo kids had reflective + LED armbands handed out for free by primary school more than once many years ago. Little bits of dishonesty by omission are a personal annoyance that put me off the producers as well as the product.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I came equipped with 2 very long and fully functioning arms that came free. Best bit is they require no batteries and never get left at home.

JMAG

Über Member
It's very easy to find fault with this product, but it still has benefits. There was a thread last week where some people thought a shoulder check should suffice as a signal in situations where a proper signal was impractical or difficult and labelling car drivers good or bad depending on whether they interpreted the riders intentions correctly.

This product may not have every angle covered (metaphorically), but has it's advantages. One thing mentioned is that it allows the signal to be made earlier and for longer. Even if it's only useful at night and/or for oncoming traffic, I think it has value. How many people spend maybe £25 on a front "see-me" light? It's not an all encompassing solution, but used appropriately I think it has plenty merit.

Drago

Legendary Member
You really think so JMAG? I'm 47, been riding over 40 years and never once thought "bloody hell, something needs to be done here. Wouldn't it be nice if someone made some bike indicators?"

I'm afraid it's a solution looking for a problem, not the other way around.

On the plus side, it does have the appearance of being nearly designed and engineered.

It's very easy to find fault with this product, but it still has benefits. There was a thread last week where some people thought a shoulder check should suffice as a signal in situations where a proper signal was impractical or difficult and labelling car drivers good or bad depending on whether they interpreted the riders intentions correctly.

This product may not have every angle covered (metaphorically), but has it's advantages. One thing mentioned is that it allows the signal to be made earlier and for longer. Even if it's only useful at night and/or for oncoming traffic, I think it has value. How many people spend maybe £25 on a front "see-me" light? It's not an all encompassing solution, but used appropriately I think it has plenty merit.
I disagree. If you need to turn you either need to rely on it or don't. If you rely on it, you are assuming that a driver will see a small light in a place they're most likely not looking and probably obscured by your arms. To turn in front of a car assuming they've seen that means you either have a death wish or have never cycled.

If you work on the assumption they may not have seen it and signal in another way then why bother having it?

Drago

Legendary Member
I suspect that indicators on bikes will be treated like indicators on cars, where most people use them as a substitute for proper looking instead of a separate action to be carried out only after proper looking. If that turns out to the be the case then they'll actually be detrimental to safety.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@JMAG, it is easy to find fault with the product....

The punchline should write itself but just in case.

......because there are faults with the product that would need rectifying before it could be considered a viable improvement on other bike indicators or as a suitable alternative to what is already available hanging off your shoulders and is readily understood by other road users and pedestrians (when they look).

Pretending those.problems don't exist or blowing sunshine up the producers a**e does nobody any good, cyclists get a product that is.potentially dangerous and poorly researched and the developer blows loads of money before going bust and potentially hurting themselves and people that depend on them.

Top Bottom