Indicators for bicycles - Magnetically attached and removable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I am a cyclist.*

I am not a motor vehicle.

I do not want to be reduced to the lowest common denominator on our roads; the car. I have no need of rear view mirrors, brake lights, fog lights, blindingly powerful headlamps, or indicator lamps.

I do not want any form of indicator other than my own two arms and, on occasion, one, or two fingers.

I suspect there are millions of cyclists like me.

*actually I'm not I just own a lot of bikes and ride 'em quite a lot.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
WingLights. They are magnetically attached, and clip together to form a keyring. What does everyone think?
Fail: looks like a product designed by motorists. All but one of my bicycles have bar ends that face backwards and most are otherwise occupied. I'm also worried about the battery waste (they're removable so I'm assuming they're not dynamo-powered) and the magnets interfering with watches and electronics.

How are those indicators activated anyway? The website doesn't say anywhere than I saw.

Other bike indicators like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicy...mp-Turning-Indicators-Horn-Bell-/291411049322 haven't become widespread and they're far cheaper.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Grumpers raised an interesting thought, If we acquiesce and accept indicators, then what'll be next? Seat belts? An engine? Number plates?
It is a depressing indicator of just how unconsciously motor-centric folks' thinking is. Let's make cyclists and bicycles more like motor vehicles.

No. Let's reduce the speed and volume of the motor traffic, around more vulnerable road users, which is the root cause of the safety problem.

If I want to operate something like a motor vehicle I'm licensed to operate several different types. I have the spondoolicks to buy one. Or more. I choose not to.

“WingLights brings the tried and true method employed by every other road vehicle to your bike

anyone who uses the UK roads is aware that a significant minority of road vehicles do not employ them

They may be fitted but are rarely used

“WingLights brings the tried and true method employed by every other road vehicle to your bike

anyone who uses the UK roads is aware that a significant minority of road vehicles do not employ them

They may be fitted but are rarely used

I sell bikes to people with disabilities. Some of them struggle to indicate with their arms. We struggle to find indicators which are durable, visible and affordable. These aren't perfect but they might suit some of my customers very well.

I'd like to know how long the batteries last - I'd be tempted to leave them flashing full time. on the principle that any visibility is good visibility...

Grumpers raised an interesting thought, If we acquiesce and accept indicators, then what'll be next? Seat belts? An engine? Number plates?

Think of the advantages...

By having them both on permanently they can be used as hazard lights, and we all know that putting hazard lights on exempts vehicles from any driving rules

I sell bikes to people with disabilities. Some of them struggle to indicate with their arms. We struggle to find indicators which are durable, visible and affordable. These aren't perfect but they might suit some of my customers very well.

I'd like to know how long the batteries last - I'd be tempted to leave them flashing full time. on the principle that any visibility is good visibility...

Special needs is a different category and needs different answers.....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

And that's about the only circumstance I can think of where I'd like to see 'em.

Drago

Legendary Member
...on the principle that any visibility is good visibility...
Except that isn't the case when it comes to lighting. There are circumstances where inappropriate lighting can actually compromise an observers ability to calculate the speed of an object, thus making it more likely they'll step out in front of you, T bone you, or whatever.

Top Bottom