Indicators for bicycles - Magnetically attached and removable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 3635079, member: 45"]I'm currently standing in a queue on a street in Amsterdam. No indicators, zillions of bikes. Most of the cyclists don't even stick their arms out. No-one is dying and everyone is making progress.[/QUOTE]
I call BS. If they're not wearing hi-viz you wouldn't be able to see them.

JMAG

Über Member
Pretending those.problems don't exist or blowing sunshine up the producers a**e does nobody any good

I don't believe I was doing either of those things, simply expressing MY opinion. Yes, it has limitations or problems, but I wasn't ignoring them. I think that the product can be useful in some situations. Whether it makes the product worth buying is another matter.

JMAG

Über Member
I suspect that indicators on bikes will be treated like indicators on cars, where most people use them as a substitute for proper looking instead of a separate action to be carried out only after proper looking. If that turns out to the be the case then they'll actually be detrimental to safety.

So indicators on cars are detrimental to safety too? Unless you think that they are different because other road users pay attention to indicators on motorised vehicles, but that's not foolproof either. Plenty of accidents every day involving cars etc.

I disagree. If you need to turn you either need to rely on it or don't.

Indicating your intent does not give any road user guarantee of safe passage, whether car, motorbike or push bike. I try not to drive my car into the path of other vehicles when they aren't paying attention to my signaled intention. I do the same when riding my bike. Indicators are simply an aid.

Indicating your intent does not give any road user guarantee of safe passage, whether car, motorbike or push bike. I try not to drive my car into the path of other vehicles when they aren't paying attention to my signaled intention. I do the same when riding my bike. Indicators are simply an aid.
If a turn requied a signal, would turning that flashy thing on be sufficient or would you signal with your arm too?

Drago

Legendary Member
JMAG, next time you're a car passenger watch the driver. Odds are they will indicate and look later, if they look at all. If cyclists start doing the same, and human nature being what it is they most assuredly will, can you explain how that will make a positive contribution to road safety?

andyfraser

Über Member
So indicators on cars are detrimental to safety too?
They can be. A roundabout near where I live has 3 exits: south, west and east. When I'm crossing the road at the east exit I see the majority of cars coming from the south indicate right but don't indicate left when leaving going east. It looks like they have come onto the roundabout from the west and are going south because they are indicating right. This is potentially very dangerous and makes the use of indicators pointless on that roundabout. Anyone who doesn't know or doesn't pay enough attention could step out thinking they're safe. Luckily there's a toucan crossing there so I use it.

Agree with @Drago. Solution looking for a problem.

If one is needed and to be effective, it should be on the rear sides of the helmet and remotely controlled by a switch on the handlebar. More likely to be seen by someone behind. A bike's slim profile does not lend it self to be mounted on it except where the pedals are ( where reflectors are) are. But too low for a proper profile.

Cannot cover those who don't don helmets or are on clipless. But will cover those who feel comfortable. Actually it will be easier to rig.

JMAG

Über Member
If a turn requied a signal, would turning that flashy thing on be sufficient or would you signal with your arm too?

TBH I would probably signal with my arm too and use these as an additional aid just like I use road position as an aid. I'm not advocating buying these indicators, I just think they have some merit in certain situations. For example, turning right with either oncoming traffic or perhaps vehicles waiting to turn right out of the road I am entering. I make my move into position well before I reach the turning, but I don't hold my arm out from the point at which I move to the middle of the road until I reach the turning as I will be braking and changing gears so I can see the benefit of having this indicator on for the duration on that manoeuvre.

JMAG, next time you're a car passenger watch the driver. Odds are they will indicate and look later, if they look at all. If cyclists start doing the same, and human nature being what it is they most assuredly will, can you explain how that will make a positive contribution to road safety?

All valid points, but 2 wrongs don't make a right. Car drivers who don't look don't make indicators or mirrors redundant on cars. Any merit I personally see in this product does not negate any downsides - all I've said is that I think is has some merit in some situations. My commute for the last few months has had 2 distinct places where this product would have been useful especially as both legs of my commute were in darkness.

I could use some of the same arguments being expressed about these indicators against lights or reflective/high viz clothing. Neither is a perfect solution on their own and neither guarantees that you won't get knocked off your bike, but used together you have a better chance (but not guarantee) of being seen by other road users. How many times have you heard people complain about near misses or worse even though they were lit up like a Xmas tree? I think some people expect indicators to do everything in all conditions and situations.

Drago

Legendary Member
You could just answer the question. Most indicator users are very poorly disciplinedDabout their correct use, and tend to knock out an indicate as a substitute for looking. We've no reason to believe the typical bike rider will be any different (motorcyclists certainly aren't). This being the case, how does it make a contribution to road safety?

It's a simple, thirteen word question. Feel free to actually answer it any time.

JMAG

Über Member
You could just answer the question. Most indicator users are very poorly disciplinedDabout their correct use, and tend to knock out an indicate as a substitute for looking. We've no reason to believe the typical bike rider will be any different (motorcyclists certainly aren't). This being the case, how does it make a contribution to road safety?

It's a simple, thirteen word question. Feel free to actually answer it any time.

Use them correctly.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Or look or indicate at all in my experience

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This flowchart should be a sticky for the forum:

bikesafetyflowchart-2.jpg

GC

Top Bottom