Indoor trainers—love or hate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thankfully I don't have to bother about that faff now having a DD turbo but I want to go outside with the best (gripiest/ p'ture proof) tyres that I have. One cr@p day I might be on the turbo but the next I'd probably be on the road again. I couldn't be bothered with the faff of changing tyres/wheels or cassettes for that. It was easier when I stayed with my parents and had the space for a dedicated turbore bike.
Ah yes - I have a dedicated old bike on my turbo trainer. I wouldn't want to be swapping tyres about either!

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
a recent addition of a frail MiL who needs fairly constant care, meaning the house can’t be left without a carer available.
@figbat as someone who until July this year had the same responsibilities as you . I hope you don’t mind me saying that I understand and sympathise with your position.

For a couple of months I have had a turbo trainer set up with a dedicated bike in the shed.

I have never liked indoor cycling but wanted to do it to get back to fitness after an operation. I did it for a couple of weeks but have now come to accept the body is willing but the mind is weak when it comes to this form of torture.

I am not in training for anything competitive and have found over the years that I can only do exercise for enjoyment but quite envy those who actually get satisfaction out of the exercise itself.

GuyBoden

Guru
I have a set of training rollers, they're much better in my opinion than a "Turbo Trainer", for no other reason than the name "Turbo" puts me off.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/technique/train-rollers-three-sessions-master.html
Eileen-Roe-Rollers.jpg

It's raining all day today, so I won't be riding outside, but I will be riding on my training rollers in the garage whilst listening to some music.

Last edited:

Scaleyback

Veteran
I am using sufferfest/systm right now, I use it most days and also use the yoga and strength workouts in provides. Nothing beats getting out on the real road though, feeling the sun beating down, the gentle breeze . . . .

. . . . don't forget dodging the huge potholes and the thousands of thorns after the farmer has cut (thrashed) the hedges. Playing 'White van' roulette with the delivery driver trying desperately to meet his schedule. The stressed out Mum on the school run trying to control her errant children in the rear as she plans the evening meal. The BMW driver who's daily sport is intimidating cyclists who everyone knows don't pay road tax and therefore have no right to be on the road. Oh ! And bugger me it's now pi**ing it down with rain.

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
. . . . don't forget dodging the huge potholes and the thousands of thorns after the farmer has cut (thrashed) the hedges. Playing 'White van' roulette with the delivery driver trying desperately to meet his schedule. The stressed out Mum on the school run trying to control her errant children in the rear as she plans the evening meal. The BMW driver who's daily sport is intimidating cyclists who everyone knows don't pay road tax and therefore have no right to be on the road. Oh ! And bugger me it's now pi**ing it down with rain.

When you put it like that, riding outside must be really great if we still bother.

I just went for a gravelly mud ride in the wind. First outdoor ride for about 10 days. I LOVED IT! :laugh:

Reactions: C R

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The stressed out Mum on the school run trying to control her errant children in the rear as she plans the evening meal...
I nearly got 'taken out' on a 'date' by one such driver... a date with death!

I almost got squashed once on the climb of Saddleworth Moor by a large car whose driver had turned to remonstrate with her children who were squabbling in the back seats. I will never forget the look of horror on her face as she cut me up facing back down the hill at me! :eek::thumbsdown:

Scaleyback

Veteran
For a couple of months I have had a turbo trainer set up with a dedicated bike in the shed.
I am not in training for anything competitive and have found over the years that I can only do exercise for enjoyment but quite envy those who actually get satisfaction out of the exercise itself.

The satisfaction kicks in when you stop :stop:

CXRAndy

Guru
Turbos are frigging boring - I can manage 45 minutes spinning and then that's it.

I get by by (first time I have ever written 2 x by consecutively) imagining I am some hot-shot Pro storming up a long mountain climb leaving everyone in my wake. Anyone else do this?

I had a 40 min race this morning on Zwift. A few days ago I rode Zwift's Alpe d' Huez, a nice Z2 workout. 1hour30 mins.

In a couple of days I'll ride the Simulation of Ventoux on Zwift. Then another race after. Then there is Zwift's tour series or I could join Danish Bike Racing series with our Cyclechat's Zwift team.

Biggest ride has been 5 hours on Zwift. I'm a lightweight with guys ridden 9-10 hours. Some guys ridden 24hours

Zwift is very addictive :okay:

Chappy

Guru
With Winter in full swing and the temperature consistently under 10 degrees a turbo is perfect for me to keep riding and training what with suffering from Raynaud's. I have found that Trainerroad keep me on track and helps with passing the time of sitting stationary on the trainer.

Chislenko

Veteran
Thankfully our house wifi doesn't reach the garage so I will never be tempted to spend a fortune on all the equipment to set up a smart turbo trainer and pay £12.00 a month for Zwift, result!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anyone recommend a way to allow my wife to use the Zwift set up - I don't use it much at present as prefer to get out, but it's always there as a back up - I know Zwift are gits about shring a membership - anything 'free' I can install on the PC set up for her ? She has a works strava challenge, but swimming even a mile doesn't get you far ? Smart Turbo (wheel type) so will support her hybrid, not the 29er.

Top Bottom