Indoor trainers—love or hate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only way I can be bothered to use the turbo is for 30 minute sessions of HIIT. A pretty good way of regaining or maintaining a level of fitness without taking up too much time, especially for someone like me with a low boredom threshold and an antediluvian trainer.

Big T

Guru
Multiple reports yesterday of people falling off on black ice, with several having to go to hospital and many broken bikes. At least you don’t get ice on the roads in Watopia!

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I can just double what few people already said: Just get Zwift and you'll discover that there's an entire parallel universe of cycling. There is absolutely no comparison between sitting on a trainer and looking at the wall and virtual riding. Races at all skill levels, social rides and chatter and continuous banter - whatever you fancy.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I can just double what few people already said: Just get Zwift and you'll discover that there's an entire parallel universe of cycling. There is absolutely no comparison between sitting on a trainer and looking at the wall and virtual riding. Races at all skill levels, social rides and chatter and continuous banter - whatever you fancy.
And Tour de Zwift starting this week. I'll be doing stage 1 today :hello:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My experience echoes many others here. A dumb trainer 20 odd years ago that was boring and soon just gathered dust in the corner, some rollers which were fun; but offered no resistance, a basic wheel smart trainer that was not powerful enough ands the tyre slipped, a Tacx Neo which was great and finally a Neo Bike which has been awesome. I also use made a rocker plate (actually made a batch of 3 for friends too). I have been a Zwift subscriber since the beta days on Jarvis Island and use it for all my indoor riding (and rowing).

I do not ride exclusively indoors in winter, but I do get a couple of mid week rides in, one group ride whilst Facetiming with my friends and then one race/training session. At the weekend, it only gets used if it is too icy outside, no other weather stops us.

@fossyant Regarding a subscription for your wife. My wife is a very occasional user, she uses my daughters free Zwift account the once a month or so she goes on the bike. Zwift offer free accounts for children, you just need to apply and then wait for them to get back to you. The other option is to just use the 25km demo that you get every month. I wish Zwift would offer a PAYG for infrequent users or like other platforms, a family package, but they seem to ignore all feedback that they get and stick to their own roadmap.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@fossyant Regarding a subscription for your wife. My wife is a very occasional user, she uses my daughters free Zwift account the once a month or so she goes on the bike. Zwift offer free accounts for children, you just need to apply and then wait for them to get back to you. The other option is to just use the 25km demo that you get every month. I wish Zwift would offer a PAYG for infrequent users or like other platforms, a family package, but they seem to ignore all feedback that they get and stick to their own roadmap.

I've requested a childs account - it will be very occasional, but I'd rather it not mess my profiles up.

I know lots of people who use and like them and I had one for a while and quickly became bored with cycling nowhere. Although I tried to make it a more enjoyable experience by watching videos and listening music this was no substitute for getting out and going for as bike ride.

Multiple reports yesterday of people falling off on black ice, with several having to go to hospital and many broken bikes. At least you don’t get ice on the roads in Watopia!
Yes ! Family circumstances made me unable to get out on Sunday - my riding pal did get out and he was flagged down by a club to warn him of the black ice ahead. It seemed really mild round here -not a patch of ice or frost at all - but it just shows how localised these things can be.

I'd much prefer weekend rides to be on the road - but if not Watopia is a good fallback. Work hard on there so its not so hard outside !

alex_cycles

Veteran
I know lots of people who use and like them and I had one for a while and quickly became bored with cycling nowhere. Although I tried to make it a more enjoyable experience by watching videos and listening music this was no substitute for getting out and going for as bike ride.
Absolutely. Outside is nicer. 100% agree. But if you don't like riding in the dark/cold/wind/wet/snow/ice then sometimes it's good to have alternative options to enable you to get some cycling exercise when you otherwise wouldn't bother.

Also good for the time-constrained, rehabilitation, controlled workouts and those for whom riding outdoors might be problematic/unsafe.

Big T

Guru
I’m only a recent convert to Zwift and indoor riding. I was also a died in the wool outdoor cyclist who would ride in all weathers. But the recent cold spell has changed all that. Last week, I did 3 one hour long rides on Zwift, totalling 52 miles. I’ve been on twice this week too. I did ride outside on Sunday, but we did see ice and it was really cold, and as I’ve said previously there were numerous reports of crashes on ice on the same day. I’ll be back on the road as soon as it warms up, but in the meantime, it’s the turbo and Zwift for me.

Yesterday, I did a group ride on Zwift and World Rugby Cup winner Jonny Wilkinson was on the same ride.

Its bizarre if I have a programmed workout during the week I don't mind the turbo and sometimes quite enjoy it, but on a weekend day like today (here at least, freezing fog) when I would just have to pull out an unprogrammed library workout I just can't get motivated.

gzoom

Über Member
Haven't been out on the real bike since the fall last week, but am loving the indoor bike, nearly 10hrs on it last week.....I might be slightly addicted:smile:.

51824319570_a418ba5b7d_c_d.jpg

Also finally got around to checking the bike after the fall in ice about 10 days ago, it appears I some how managed to avoid doing this to my thigh/hip. Tomorrow the temperatures looks OK, but no chance am going out in anything close to freezing.

51824047201_4cab1f42d5_c_d.jpg

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I’ve not had my bike out since November and it will probably be a few more weeks yet before it comes out again, but in the meantime I’m more than happy to be using my smart indoor bike trainer. It has a 20 minute “test” workout that it uses to estimate your FTP and from then onwards all the pre-programmed workouts are customised to your fitness level (it’s like having your own personal gym trainer). Obviously it’s not the same as being out on the road, but the workouts are engaging and there’s no risk of hitting ice (or slippery mud) and falling off.

Top Bottom