Indoor training/racing systems.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am fascinated by the Zwift/Peloton TV adverts on the ITV4 coverage of the TDF.

How much difference does having a top level carbon bike make on an indoor trainer?

What are the factors that might make a difference, other than the rider?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Absolutely no difference

Milzy

Guru
I am fascinated by the Zwift/Peloton TV adverts on the ITV4 coverage of the TDF.

How much difference does having a top level carbon bike make on an indoor trainer?

What are the factors that might make a difference, other than the rider?
It makes pretty much no difference. I went out to deliberately buy a cheap aluminium second hand Eastway for the turbo. It feels great but it wouldn’t in real life.
Why sweat salt all over a high end carbon bike. Any old thing will do the job fine. It’s the rider all the way mostly.
If it’s E-sports then forget what I say. A Dura ace groupset will spin ‘marginally’ better than Claris, or at least feel nicer.

Peloton seems to be like having a gym spinning class online and on tap: the bike itself is essential to the Peloton system, as well as the subscription, and costs around £1600, I think. Whilst there are classes and workouts, I don't think there are races.

You can get started on Zwift using your existing bike, for around a hundred quid... though the experience gets more immersive with a smart trainer, bigger screen etc etc. Someone will be along in a minute to say that neither are real cycling, but in the meantime I'd say zwift is more like cycling while Peloton looks like a spin class in the (dis)comfort of your own home or an episode of Black Mirror.

In the past few weeks I've ridden with/been overtaken by Philippe Gilbert, Anna van der Breggen, Alex Dowsett and Maurizio Fondriest on Zwift.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Turbo led to injury for me , apparently you need to spend over 1k to feel the proper road . I'll take the proper road and put the money towards bikes .

Slioch

Guru
On tonight's programme they referred to something called "a Wahoo eco system".:wacko:

I know there are loads of people that only get on a "bike" when they go to the gym and do a spin class, but is there a new breed of cyclist evolving who have all the gear and a top end bike, but only ever do their riding indoors on Zwift?

Milzy

Guru
On tonight's programme they referred to something called "a Wahoo eco system".:wacko:

I know there are loads of people that only get on a "bike" when they go to the gym and do a spin class, but is there a new breed of cyclist evolving who have all the gear and a top end bike, but only ever do their riding indoors on Zwift?
Nothing wrong with that if they’re happy. Structured training is the the ultimate bang for buck time wise & can be done easily anytime. It’s safer than the roads & ppl might be on call so they are always at home & can abandon an audax in a second instead of been 100 miles from home.
Plus E-Sports will have a big future, it’s already getting popular.

Slioch

Guru
It’s safer than the road
You're not wrong there.

I can certainly see the appeal though with the use of a combination of top-end technology plus some highly desirable consumer goods, and as you say, great bang for buck time wise fitting it into busy schedules.

Top Bottom