Inferior technology that did well

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

The smart phone can do loads of things, but none of them super well. For example if I want to take a photo in landscape, I have scroll down from the top to get a menu, then hit landscape. Then hit it again duentonto dumb bug. Take the photo then put it back into portrait mode other wise the phone opens keeps wanting to go into landscape mode whenever I open another apps. I have that.

And various other nuances of using such a device.
Can't you just hold the phone like this <landscape>, instead of like this <portrait>?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The smart phone can do loads of things, but none of them super well. For example if I want to take a photo in landscape, I have scroll down from the top to get a menu, then hit landscape. Then hit it again duentonto dumb bug. Take the photo then put it back into portrait mode other wise the phone opens keeps wanting to go into landscape mode whenever I open another apps. I have that.

And various other nuances of using such a device.

That's a very dumb smartphone you have. Most (all?) have an Option in them whereby, if you turn the phone through 90 degrees, the picture it takes is automatically landscape. Turn it through another 90 degrees and it reverts to portrait. No menus required.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
That's a very dumb smartphone you have. Most (all?) have an Option in them whereby, if you turn the phone through 90 degrees, the picture it takes is automatically landscape. Turn it through another 90 degrees and it reverts to portrait. No menus required.

I have the portrait-only and portrait-or-landscape modes, but it takes too long to change between those modes. Also, ifbi have it in the latter mode, if I open an application, it always opens in landscape mode even when I'm holding the phone in portrait mode.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member

I have the portrait-only and portrait-or-landscape modes, but it takes too long to change between those modes. Also, ifbi have it in the latter mode, if I open an application, it always opens in landscape mode even when I'm holding the phone in portrait mode.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Also auto correct can make nonsense out of a sentence

I'm assuming you meant "hate"
Now I can't remember. And that reminds me, the keyboard on this thing just doesn't gel with me in the way an iOS keyboard does. Even now, years later, if I type on an iOS device, I make far fewer typos than on android. The solution: swipe keyboard (instead of fixing problem).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
So when you say 'the smartphone', you mean your smartphone. Which does indeed appear to be kinda dumb.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
MP3 is a lossy compression. That is, while compressing, they throw away some of data to make the file smaller with the hope it will make little difference to the playback.

So what could have changed on the intervening years?
  1. Storage is cheaper,and communication is faster, so you're using less compression.
  2. Better compression algorithms
  3. You're older and are losing your high and low frequency hearing :sad:
Also network bandwidth is far higher.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
So when you say 'the smartphone', you mean your smartphone. Which does indeed appear to be kinda dumb.
I think either I am dumb or android's interface is.

presta

Guru
I must have been lucky but I've never had a low energy bulb blow within months. We had a spate of low energy bulbs go a while ago and realised it was probably because we'd installed them all at about the same time, when we moved in about 15 years before.
The only room in my house with CFL was the lounge, I got through four of them in the space of 11 years. Of the 12 tungsten bulbs in the house, I've replaced just one in the last 16 years.

My view is that the threadless stem is only inferior until you try sprinting up a hill
But the ugliness of the system just shows a lack of imagination (albeit astute marketing).

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Feck knows how they did it, I tried it once in 1980 something and it was horrible enough for me to never repeat the experience but it was the UK's best selling beer for friggin ages.

gnQABmiS.jpg

Top Bottom