Influencers- help me understand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Many people have YouTube channels that attract a following. Which in turn attracts advertising and product placement. It's not all jetting about doing nothing - it could be cycling videos - lots of product placement there, make up tutorials or a friend of mine makes videos showing you how to repair lawnmowers. He has enough followers to attract advertising and make a small amount of money.
It could be seen as exploiting the influencer. Imagine you are a fashion retailer - it costs a lot less to give out freebies to people who promote your products on YouTube than to stage a fashion shoot in a high end magazine and pay professional models and photographers properly. As the "influencer industry" is completely unregulated, it means the influencer has to have very good business sense.

lane

Veteran
I watched a TV programme called holiday swap this week. There was a rich couple in it - they spend £50k a just year going on holidays. They sell a miracle hair growth product on line. They use influencers quite heavily to drum up sales. It is working for some folks.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Wonder how you’d look in a bikini? :smile:
1612298579061.png

('course I don't look quite so hard now I've quit smoking)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Think about this the other way round

Say you've got a product you want to sell that is targeted at under 30s...say false eyelashes for example. How do you generate product awareness to generate sales?

Influencers who have millions of under 30s watching their content every day are the perfect way. These under 30s don't watch TV and don't read newspapers. Via their social media feeds is how you reach them and the influencers are the portal.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Think about this the other way round

Say you've got a product you want to sell that is targeted at under 30s...say false eyelashes for example. How do you generate product awareness to generate sales?

Influencers who have millions of under 30s watching their content every day are the perfect way. These under 30s don't watch TV and don't read newspapers. Via their social media feeds is how you reach them and the influencers are the portal.

At the moment it appears to be like the Wild West. So in a few years I presume this will be far more heavily regulated.
You can’t be selling miracle hair cream on the TV so they are exploiting loop holes.

The internet has so many pluses but this social media total bull shoot is not one of them, all these weak minded idiots that watch this dross dolled out by these total morons need banning from all computers

I’m part of the founders on more than a few technologies that we’re used to create the internet and i led the team that pioneered all the crap behavioural ads you see when browsing the web, but this social media stuff is more evil than anything I’ve been involved in

sir Tim Berners Lee publicly named me as an internet evil person on BBC4 radio about 15 years ago and I’m saying these people need stopping

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The internet has so many pluses but this social media total bull shoot is not one of them, all these weak minded idiots that watch this dross dolled out by these total morons need banning from all computers

I’m part of the founders on more than a few technologies that we’re used to create the internet and i led the team that pioneered all the crap behavioural ads you see when browsing the web, but this social media stuff is more evil than anything I’ve been involved in

sir Tim Berners Lee publicly named me as an internet evil person on BBC4 radio about 15 years ago and I’m saying these people need stopping
Society does seem to be segregating on lines of sensible people who are passionate about making a difference, and the more easily led who just consume what the media feed them
It’s far easier and more lucrative to target the latter group.

Some changes like the internet, broadband and targeted advertising really didn’t sit well at first with 99% of the population but used the right way these tools have and are changing the world for good, influencers make me sick and angry, get a bloody life people make your own path be yourself not a mirror of some fake.

as you might be able to tell this is a sensitive subject for me so I’ll stop here and say we’re all awesome and don’t need those people to lead us to be ourselves

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
Some changes like the internet, broadband and targeted advertising really didn’t sit well at first with 99% of the population but used the right way these tools have and are changing the world for good, influencers make me sick and angry, get a bloody life people make your own path be yourself not a mirror of some fake.

as you might be able to tell this is a sensitive subject for me so I’ll stop here and say we’re all awesome and don’t need those people let’s be ourselves

You know what it has always been thus. My mum would laugh at the influencers but when young avidly followed all the doings of the Royals which to my mind is much the same. Admittedly the Royals weren't flogging miracle hair grow.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
When news broke the other week about them all going to Dubai for lockdown, 5 live had someone on who books said influencers into gigs etc. The way he put it was....
”Remember Judith Chalmers? Good. Well the young haven’t a clue about her. These are their Judith Chalmers”.

Then it made sense to me.

Top Bottom