Influencers- help me understand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
They usually aren't anywhere near as wealthy as they appear. Most are almost completely dependent on freebies from companies they're approaching, so for example they'll market themselves as a "lifestyle guru who flies first class around the world" which makes them sound rich, then you realise they've flown in first class around the world in a free seat in return for a positive review of the experience on Youtube. It's quite a neat trick in a way I suppose, but it's shallow and a facade / illusion. My daugher (9) is interested in being an influencer (shudder), I'm trying to guide her that it's far better to be someone who's so good at something that they can afford to pay, rather than having to sell their soul vlogging about it to pretend that's their lifestyle.

There have been lots of stories in the last few years of highly followed influencers being exposed... There was the famous (and really hilarious) one where the girl picked the wrong Dublin hotel to threaten with a bad review if they didn't "comp" her stay, she regretted that as the owner had quite the line in Irish banter and put downs. Turns out she wasn't well off either, but she told everyone she was, in reality she was pulling the same trick on cosmetics companies, hotels, bars, anyone. There was also that lad on YouTube who was a supposed "supercar expert and lifestyle vlogger" doing videos about his Lamborghinis and such like... it turns out he still lived with his parents, and his well off dad rented the cars for him so he could be "influential" online.
(Edit: Beaten to it by @Cycleops )

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Way yer go...
Wonder how you’d look in a bikini? :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A friend's daughter is trying to get into the 'scene'. Seems to be getting the odd freebee - clothes, phone cases in return for her posting pictures on instagram with the product and 'her' on it, usually with not that many clothes on for the time of year !

Nah they are all stuck in Dubai
oh noes! Is cyclechat blocked in Dubai? :sad: That would be too harsh a punishment, shirley?

Drago

Legendary Member
A friend's daughter is trying to get into the 'scene'. Seems to be getting the odd freebee - clothes, phone cases in return for her posting pictures on instagram with the product and 'her' on it, usually with not that many clothes on for the time of year !
There are a few Y front manufacturers who would pay well to have me on Telegram posing on the beach wearing only their wares.

Drago

Legendary Member
See - I'm an influencer!

Top Bottom