Influencers- help me understand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
I have bought a couple of cars from a place called Available Car. I saw recently that the owners wife is quite a celebrity on Instagram and described as a beauty vlogger and influencer with 2 million followers. It was in the news because she had gone to Dubai just before Christmas when travel advice was not to go. Seems Dubai is quite the in place for influencers.

lane

Veteran
If you cant'f find enough info on this thread you could try calling this number:

"To collaborate with lifestyle influencer Fleur de Force or to find out more about how influencers can impact your brand marketing campaign, contact Influencer Matchmaker via email at contact@influencermatchmaker.co.uk. Alternatively, call one of our dedicated matchmakers on 0203 9580 427."

PaulB

Legendary Member
Makes you wonder about the logic of the BMW. How many people following her are able to go out and buy a £40k BMW?
I've asked my wife for more info about this. Her niece has her own magazine apparently and it's online as well as in paper form. She was able to buy a luxury home in a fabulous part of leafy Cheshire as well so I think they're seen as a couple whose lifestyle is one to aspire to. I know the last time I saw her was for her grandmother's 80th and she was telling us - not in a boastful, but more a matter-of-fact way - that she didn't pay a penny out of her own pocket for anything relating to her baby. Cots, prams, baby grows, food, milk, everything you could imagine delivered to them, some of which she had to donate to other new mothers as she was given too much. I know that companies were giving her stuff in the hope she'd use it and would comment favourably on it or be seen out and about utilising it. I know a couple who had sextuplets who didn't receive this amount of stuff when they were big news.

Two words:
unboxing videos

[OK, I know they're old hat now - but crikey did they annoy me ... ]
Hot News: they're still a thing!

Viral Unboxing
During the 2020 coronavirus lockdown in the United States, Barstool Sports founder, Dave Portnoy, created an internet sensation by posting his New York City home address in hopes that companies could send him frozen pizza so he could continue his famous "One Bite" daily pizza reviews. By posting his address, he stated immediately receiving gifts from fans and companies that were not pizza related. Once Portnoy started unboxing these gifts during the pizza reviews, the packages started coming in larger quantities. Portnoy then started live streaming his unboxing of these gifts for multiple hours at a time on Instragram and YouTube garnering tens of thousands of live viewers. This unboxing became a nightly entertainment source for many as well as an opportunity for brands to try and make it "on air" and promote their product.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unboxing#Viral_Unboxing

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hot News: they're still a thing!

Viral Unboxing
During the 2020 coronavirus lockdown in the United States, Barstool Sports founder, Dave Portnoy, created an internet sensation by posting his New York City home address in hopes that companies could send him frozen pizza so he could continue his famous "One Bite" daily pizza reviews. By posting his address, he stated immediately receiving gifts from fans and companies that were not pizza related. Once Portnoy started unboxing these gifts during the pizza reviews, the packages started coming in larger quantities. Portnoy then started live streaming his unboxing of these gifts for multiple hours at a time on Instragram and YouTube garnering tens of thousands of live viewers. This unboxing became a nightly entertainment source for many as well as an opportunity for brands to try and make it "on air" and promote their product.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unboxing#Viral_Unboxing
You wait, some nutcase with a sick sense of humour will probably end up sending him human body parts, a letter bomb, or some deadly toxin! :eek:

Judith Chalmers was a documentary maker who was famed for making documentaries about holidays, holiday destinations, and travel. She was not, for the most part, involved in sales or direct promotion.

These influencers are sales promotion staff, and the the media should refer to them as such and not glamourise their activities with a trendy title. The products they promote, aside from holidays themselves, could be promoted from a council flat in Sheffield, or the North Pole. It matters not. The fact that they travel to the UAE during a global pandemic that is killing millions just shows how thick, selfish and vacuous they are, and the sheep who follow them so willingly are likely little different in character.

They're freeloading wasters who serve little real purpose in the grand scheme. They're Golgafrinchans that society and the environment can ill afford. I was around before they appeared and I can promise you that you and I will still be around long after they are gone.

sad to say but Judith Chalmers asked me back in 1998 to be a person in the background drinking cocktails in a hotel pool in Mallorca I’d call that being an influencer

stephec

Legendary Member
Think about this the other way round

Say you've got a product you want to sell that is targeted at under 30s...say false eyelashes for example. How do you generate product awareness to generate sales?

Influencers who have millions of under 30s watching their content every day are the perfect way. These under 30s don't watch TV and don't read newspapers. Via their social media feeds is how you reach them and the influencers are the portal.
This is pretty much it, just another name for advertising, the modern day equivalent of having Jim Bowen tell you what his favourite cigar is. 😊

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unboxing - don't get me on this. If you are going to review a product, I'm not interested in you talking about the box, then taking 3/4 of the review slowly taking the product out of the box, showing me the various wires, then finally a review of the product. I'm bored by then. ;)

Top Bottom