Scotland : Glasgow & Clyde Valley Informal Ride 08/12/12

Informal Ride What Route ?

• Glasgow to Balloch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

Yeah it has been very busy since it opened, i'm working my way through accreditation at the moment and it has been a little frustrating having to wait so long between sessions! It has been so busy they were not allowing group bookings to be made but i think that is changing soon

What's the velodrome like? I've never actually been to one before.

zizou

Veteran
What's the velodrome like? I've never actually been to one before.

If i only had 1 word to describe it would be "awesome" :smile:

It can be quite scary walking in at first because the banking looks much steeper in person than on TV but you get coaching and within about 15 minutes of that you will be going round the corners on the banking.

If you want to try it out for yourself then i'd recommend trying the introduction session - this costs £10.20 and that is for an hour with a coach and also includes track bike rental, shoes and helmet. Actually i think it is cheaper than that if you are 16 or under (although im not sure what the price would be then)

D

Deleted member 20519

If i only had 1 word to describe it would be "awesome" :smile:

It can be quite scary walking in at first because the banking looks much steeper in person than on TV but you get coaching and within about 15 minutes of that you will be going round the corners on the banking.

If you want to try it out for yourself then i'd recommend trying the introduction session - this costs £10.20 and that is for an hour with a coach and also includes track bike rental, shoes and helmet. Actually i think it is cheaper than that if you are 16 or under (although im not sure what the price would be then)

Hmm, that sounds quite good. I was actually talking about trying out track cycling as a winter sport as opposed to road cycling, £10 isn't bad for just the lesson - the bike, shoes and helmet is a bonus!

I take it it's fully booked until January though?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You all need to get to the velodrome...no ice (a nice and warm 25 degrees or so) and dry and so much more fun that turbo trainers!

Actually if there is enough interest (say about 15 people) then i can look into booking a CC group session in the new year?
I'd be up for it, is the activity suitable for an older lady scared of speed? :whistle:

OP
OP
ianjmcd

ianjmcd

Über Member
Yeah it has been very busy since it opened, i'm working my way through accreditation at the moment and it has been a little frustrating having to wait so long between sessions! It has been so busy they were not allowing group bookings to be made but i think that is changing soon

what level accreditation have you done so far ?

zizou

Veteran
I'd be up for it, is the activity suitable for an older lady scared of speed? :whistle:

I think the steep banking will cure your fear of speed, because you have to go over a certain speed so as not to slide down it :biggrin:

Seriously though the introduction sessions are a real mix of abilities - the emphasis is on safe riding and learning the basics as opposed to going hell for leather.

zizou

Veteran
Hmm, that sounds quite good. I was actually talking about trying out track cycling as a winter sport as opposed to road cycling, £10 isn't bad for just the lesson - the bike, shoes and helmet is a bonus!

I take it it's fully booked until January though?

Yeah it is pretty busy in terms of booking, however i heard that they only released the January time slots yesterday so you may get lucky and get something early in the new year (it had got so busy that they had stopped taking bookings to far in advance so they could clear the backlog a bit)

To get access to the system then you need to fill in this form http://www.123contactform.com/form-390997/Velodrome-Accreditation and they will email you back within a couple of days.

btw the price is £7.15 for juniors and that includes those with a young scot card so up to 18 rather than 16.

D

Deleted member 20519

Yeah it is pretty busy in terms of booking, however i heard that they only released the January time slots yesterday so you may get lucky and get something early in the new year (it had got so busy that they had stopped taking bookings to far in advance so they could clear the backlog a bit)

To get access to the system then you need to fill in this form http://www.123contactform.com/form-390997/Velodrome-Accreditation and they will email you back within a couple of days.

btw the price is £7.15 for juniors and that includes those with a young scot card so up to 18 rather than 16.

Just filled in the form, thanks for the link. I shall now await their email. :thumbsup:

The velodrome does look awesome. I've wanted to have a shot at it for a while, so I've filled in the form also.
My only experience of track riding is at Bellahouston, and that's not anything like suitable for competitive racing.

Also, the weather forecast for Saturday now looks like being dreich rather than icy, so is the ride still happening?

OP
OP
ianjmcd

ianjmcd

Über Member
so far the sun is splitting the sky here but renfrewshire council are saying the roads are still dodgy guess i will find out when i get on the bike

weather forecast looks dry so anybody thats coming remember layers are your friend

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Weather looking pretty good for the weekend. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend tomorrow, but I might sneak out for a wee ride on Sunday.

Top Bottom