Injury after hitting pothole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1814405 said:
Do we not deserve decent roads?

I don't know whether we deserve them. They can certainly improve our perception of the quality of our life, which is not a bad thing.

I do not consider potholed roads as shown in the OP's pics to be deeply substandard; nor am I above making the same gaffe as the OP.

About fifteen years ago I threw myself off an MTB at speed while sprinting (for my own safety?) past the westbound exit ramp of the highway between Sarajevo and Ilidza. Thieves had removed a drain cover and my front wheel stopped unexpectedly. It was quite terrifying - rush hour traffic, stair rods of rain, standing water and a driving population unused to bicycles. I didn't get hit (not sure how) but smashed the glass of a dress watch, lost the skin on various joints, lost my lamps and put an amusing gouge on my right cheek that's still visible when I tan.

I knew very well that drain and inspection covers were being half-inched. Everyone knew it. I also knew that only a fool would ride that section of the highway. I took the risk as I had on many other days and it failed to pay off. Needless to say, I did not present myself at the municipal office with a claim.

In the case described by the OP, I do not think there is a case. Many clearly think there is. I know a guy who once complaied in a creperie because the yolk of the egg in his galette was broken. He got a new one and moaned throughout the meal. It was his right. He deserved a complete yolk. I loved my meal and haven't eaten out with him since. :tongue:

rusky

CC Addict
I don't know whether we deserve them. They can certainly improve our perception of the quality of our life, which is not a bad thing.

I do not consider potholed roads as shown in the OP's pics to be deeply substandard; nor am I above making the same gaffe as the OP.

About fifteen years ago I threw myself off an MTB at speed while sprinting (for my own safety?) past the westbound exit ramp of the highway between Sarajevo and Ilidza. Thieves had removed a drain cover and my front wheel stopped unexpectedly. It was quite terrifying - rush hour traffic, stair rods of rain, standing water and a driving population unused to bicycles. I didn't get hit (not sure how) but smashed the glass of a dress watch, lost the skin on various joints, lost my lamps and put an amusing gouge on my right cheek that's still visible when I tan.

I knew very well that drain and inspection covers were being half-inched. Everyone knew it. I also knew that only a fool would ride that section of the highway. I took the risk as I had on many other days and it failed to pay off. Needless to say, I did not present myself at the municipal office with a claim.

In the case described by the OP, I do not think there is a case. Many clearly think there is. I know a guy who once complaied in a creperie because the yolk of the egg in his galette was broken. He got a new one and moaned throughout the meal. It was his right. He deserved a complete yolk. I loved my meal and haven't eaten out with him since. :tongue:

So you were riding in the gutter which (IIRC) is not considered part of the highway.

So you were riding in the gutter which (IIRC) is not considered part of the highway.

:rolleyes: Technically, yes. But I'd just sprinted past the broken line on the right of the nearside lane, marking the exit sliproad of a fast dual carriageway.

In those days and in that part of the world many drivers considered the pavement the place to cycle. Being on the road at all was an act of faith.

There was standing water that made road position hard to judge and trucks were putting a lot of that water into my face, eyes and mouth.

I happily confess that I was not riding as the HC would advise me to, which up to a point was my point. I was taking a risk and I paid for it.

I could perhaps have invoked my rights as a road user and moved to my left.... I think I'd make a nice radiator ornament on the nose of a Scania, but I might have started to smell after a while.

As it is I was silly and paid a small price. Which I didn't try to claim back from anyone. :rolleyes:

theclaud

Openly Marxist

I'm sure this entirely irrelevant anecdote is of enormous interest to someone. Actually, I'm not sure of that at all - I'm just being nice. Anyway, when you've finished trivialising what was clearly a painful and traumatic incident that happened to somebody else, you might like to reflect on the fact that not everyone is inclined to read your parables as repositories of wisdom or examples of moral superiority. I'd say a bit more about how they do come across, but like I said, I'm being nice...

I'm sure this entirely irrelevant anecdote is of enormous interest to someone. Actually, I'm not sure of that at all - I'm just being nice. Anyway, when you've finished trivialising what was clearly a painful and traumatic incident that happened to somebody else, you might like to reflect on the fact that not everyone is inclined to read your parables as repositories of wisdom or examples of moral superiority. I'd say a bit more about how they do come across, but like I said, I'm being nice...

Ha ha ha. Yes. Quite right. Spot on.

I'd already offered my best wishes and my sympathy to the OP. It sounds a ghastly crash. However, I think claiming over this sort of thing inappropriate. Many don't.

No moral superiority from me. I can't afford it.

Happily (or not) I've got to the age where there is little left in life but the tired anecdote and the fading memory of past vigour. Your posts suggest to me that you have not. I whitter online because I'm too old to do much else. I imagine you are not.

It's just a guess, but I'd say late twenties or early thirties and dreaming of a huge career in something creative and literary that hasn't really left its provincial and underfunded launchpad, despite great enthusiasm and maybe even some talent.

There must be more amusing targets out there for your thoroughly nice comments. I love the attention, but you can do better.

If you want to be nice online, there are no bigger, softer or easier targets than me. It will do your reputation no good to keep indulging your passion for shooting fish in a barrel. :rolleyes:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Let me tell you a story. Back in 1998 I bought my first brand new car at the age of 25. It was a silver VW Polo 16V, 100BHP in silver. A beautiful car that went well but also drove nicely. It had alloy wheels with sporty tyres (low profile but not stupidly skinny ones). About 2 months after buying it I clipped a pothole while negotiating a mini roundabout which put a tiny scratch in the alloy rim but more importantly, damaged the tyre wall reducing the tyre to scrap with only a couple of thousand miles on the clock. After a trip to the nearest tyre bay I discovered the tyre was a bit of an odd ball size and not particularly cheap as it wasn't a popular/common size so of course it was over £100.

Did I get on the phone to the local council to complain about how their shoddily maintained roads had damaged my car? Did I demand recompense, the head of the chief highways engineer on a spike and threaten legal action? No, I simply accepted that I had been a twonk who should have driven more slowly, taken more care and watched were I was bloody going. Some you have to chalk down to experience.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ha ha ha. Yes. Quite right. Spot on.

I'd already offered my best wishes and my sympathy to the OP. It sounds a ghastly crash. However, I think claiming over this sort of thing inappropriate. Many don't.

No moral superiority from me. I can't afford it.

Happily (or not) I've got to the age where there is little left in life but the tired anecdote and the fading memory of past vigour. Your posts suggest to me that you have not. I whitter online because I'm too old to do much else. I imagine you are not.

It's just a guess, but I'd say late twenties or early thirties and dreaming of a huge career in something creative and literary that hasn't really left its provincial and underfunded launchpad, despite great enthusiasm and maybe even some talent.

There must be more amusing targets out there for your thoroughly nice comments. I love the attention, but you can do better.

If you want to be nice online, there are no bigger, softer or easier targets than me. It will do your reputation no good to keep indulging your passion for shooting fish in a barrel. :rolleyes:

You needn't have bothered. Certain things - condolences, commiserations, apologies - should be unconditional and unqualified, or they aren't worth the paper they're printed on (if you'll excuse the confused metaphor). Likewise, if one is determined to be critical, obnoxious and deeply unsympathetic, then fair enough, but one shouldn't fanny about with niceties and dress it up with faux compliments. Or people might conclude that one is a bit of an arse.

Top Bottom