Inspection light suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Faced with checking / wiping over my bike in darkness soon (commuting in darkness both ways) I'm wanting to buy a really good inspection light for use in the bike shed at home. I've found this which sound the business, but should I be concerned about replacements for the 50W screw-in bulb? I hear 'normal' bulbs are being phased out.

Does anyone have suggestions for really bright alternative inspection lights? Are fluorescent ones any better?

Jonathan M

Might sound dippy, but have you considered a decent LED headtorch? The beam of light is always where you need it. No greater light source but a basic light can be used to light the work area in general.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Jonathan M said:
Might sound dippy, but have you considered a decent LED headtorch? The beam of light is always where you need it. No greater light source but a basic light can be used to light the work area in general.

Not a dippy suggestion at all ;) - already have one which I use for 'in the field' repairs in the winter months, but I'm thinking for anything longer than a few minutes, an inspection light might be the business.

tyred

Legendary Member
LEDs are the business for this sort of thing. Especially if you want a rechargeable one. Battery life is so much longer. Flourescent (I've spelt it wrong I know) tubing types rarely give enough light in my experience and you can't really focus them on one place in particular. If you want something to plug into the mains, the cheap and cheerful normal light bulb in a cage works well and is very cheap but sadly, these types of bulbs will soon be off the market.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Thanks for these ideas chaps. :smile:

I'm still thinking the old fashioned lead-light might be best illumination - if I can get in a couple of spare bulbs to give it a few years life - but will keep an eye on this thread obviously in case any further suggesions pop up.

On a related tack: I'm just working on a way of hoisting my back wheel up in my small shed so that I can get at the rear wheel to see the tyre tread. Short bungees attached either side of the strong centre beam of the shed roof and hooked under the rear rack seem to be a promising route of experimentation at the moment. A slight thunderstorm has halted further investigations for the present. :ohmy:

Top Bottom