Instant mash ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
The best mash is made from the potatoes that roll off the trailers and bounce into the grass verge ready for this cyclist to pick up and fill her pannier bag full. :blush:

Poach the potatoes with a clove of garlic till very soft, drain, add a splooshette of milk, a dollop of butter, pepper, nutmeg and then mash. And after, stir in oodles of grated cheese.

Food of the Goddess! :hungry:

Proper mash, made with the right potatoes, infused with cheese and diced onion, tomatoes sliced on the top, plus more cheese, baked in the oven (or grilled)....heaven
Its often the simplest of foods that give most pleasure.

The best mash is made from the potatoes that roll off the trailers and bounce into the grass verge ready for this cyclist to pick up and fill her pannier bag full. :blush:

Poach the potatoes with a clove of garlic till very soft, drain, add a splooshette of milk, a dollop of butter, pepper, nutmeg and then mash. And after, stir in oodles of grated cheese.

Food of the Goddess! :hungry:

A lot of mash, especially that which many TV chefs do, is almost like a purée they get it so soft and smooth, often with the help of copious amounts of butter.

Give me crushed potatoes, any day of the week, instead.

A lot of mash, especially that which many TV chefs do, is almost like a purée they get it so soft and smooth, often with the help of copious amounts of butter.

Aaaaah, the secret to getting really good mash without rubbing the potatoes through a sieve or chucking in a cake of butter is twofold, but really simple.

1) You MUST use floury potatoes, the more floury the better. The very best for mash are either Maris Piper or Desiree

and

2) Poaching the potatoes* rather than boiling them makes them really soft and fluffy. Basically, bring them to a simmer, simmer them until just tender, and then turn the heat off and leave them for 10 minutes or so.

* a tip I picked up from the Hairy Bikers many moons ago now, but it really does work. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
No beer, no cheese, no coffee.

Not for me.

The coffee is a tough one but the other two I get locally, granted a bit of processing but not on the industrial scale to what most are used to. In these three things I research to maintenance absolute minimum of miles travelled but coffee by its growing nature is hard. I figure with my lifestyle of not driving, minimum electrickery and doing everything as local as possible I am not as big a part of the problem as most. Will it help? Long term no. But I know I've done my best.

Jameshow

Veteran

Imho I make the best mashed potato in my family always put the butter in when the Mrs isn't watching!!

I quite like them raw, now and again!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I made a proper hash of real mash this afternoon.
Picasso potatoes i think, make lovely chips and roasts....but not mash so it seems.
Boiled them, checked with a knife, just cooked, turned them off waiting for my wife to finish work...10 minutes later...mush not mash.
Ah well, a packet of Idahoan came out.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I made a proper hash of real mash this afternoon.
Picasso potatoes i think, make lovely chips and roasts....but not mash so it seems.
Boiled them, checked with a knife, just cooked, turned them off waiting for my wife to finish work...10 minutes later...mush not mash.
Ah well, a packet of Idahoan came out.

Never heard of 'Idahoan'. Is it readily available ?

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom