Instant mash ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

Its not bad. Mashed spuds have come a long way since the smash stuff.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Been eating Idahoan mash for a few years as camping food, much better than Smash, great with a tin of mackerel and some veg.
The pot version is good for a lunch stop out on the bike, boil up some water and pour it in, stir, and you've got lunch, maybe add a chopped up Peperami.

Mike_P

Guru
Waitrose list it @ £1.50 a sachet but I would have thought for household use the frozen variety would have taken its place and a lot cheaper for the quantity.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Anyone else do mash with the skin left on?

if not, you're missing out ;)

I never peel potatoes and have them crushed I suppose rather than most people's idea of mash. just made some with swede turnip mixed in which I rather like as an addition to a variety of meaty things.
I do have my own potatoes in my garden as the only thing I now grow for food apart from jerusalem artichokes I cannot get rid of. Currently using Shetland Black which are from seed I keep every year.

Aaaaah, the secret to getting really good mash without rubbing the potatoes through a sieve or chucking in a cake of butter is twofold, but really simple.

1) You MUST use floury potatoes, the more floury the better. The very best for mash are either Maris Piper or Desiree

and

2) Poaching the potatoes* rather than boiling them makes them really soft and fluffy. Basically, bring them to a simmer, simmer them until just tender, and then turn the heat off and leave them for 10 minutes or so.

* a tip I picked up from the Hairy Bikers many moons ago now, but it really does work. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

New best variety for making mash. I used to use Maris Piper but my local Coop were selling British Lily , promoted as a spud for mashing. According to my wife, who is an authority on such issues, it was the best mashed potatoes ever.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
New best variety for making mash. I used to use Maris Piper but my local Coop were selling British Lily , promoted as a spud for mashing. According to my wife, who is an authority on such issues, it was the best mashed potatoes ever.

I bought these in a larger potato in the Co-op for baking and it they are one of the nicest flavoured potatoes I've had for a long time.

icowden

Veteran
I bought these in a larger potato in the Co-op for baking and it they are one of the nicest flavoured potatoes I've had for a long time.
Well now I'm going to have to find some British Lily!

I don't see making mash as that much effort honestly. Yes peeling the spuds is boring, but then it's just a matter of dice them up (I like to chop up quite small so they cook more quickly), boil for 10 minutes or so, drain. Chuck in a generous knob of butter and 2 minutes elbow grease with the masher. If not sharing with the kids then a bit of salt and pepper at this point also. Job done - immediately fill pan with hot water and a splash of fairy liquid so that cleaning is easy after dinner.

Side note saw some awful person on twitter sharing their "cottage pie" the other day - it looked like this abomination:-
Martha here has just made up some history to justify doing it. Bl**dy americans.

I don't see making mash as that much effort honestly. Yes peeling the spuds is boring, but then it's just a matter of dice them up (I like to chop up quite small so they cook more quickly), boil for 10 minutes or so, drain. Chuck in a generous knob of butter and 2 minutes elbow grease with the masher. If not sharing with the kids then a bit of salt and pepper at this point also. Job done - immediately fill pan with hot water and a splash of fairy liquid so that cleaning is easy after dinner.

Side note saw some awful person on twitter sharing their "cottage pie" the other day - it looked like this abomination:-

Martha here has just made up some history to justify doing it. Bl**dy americans.

I have a sensitivity to under cooked spuds. I think I boiled them for about 40mins, a bit longer than intended but to good effect.

Tenkaykev

Guru

I'm the " Masher in Chief " in our household and recently invested in am OXO brand soft grip masher. It's a great bit of kit, especially like the fact that the masher is curved so I can follow the contour of the pan and ensure that no piece goes unmashed!

Top Bottom