Instant mash ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
New best variety for making mash. I used to use Maris Piper but my local Coop were selling British Lily , promoted as a spud for mashing. According to my wife, who is an authority on such issues, it was the best mashed potatoes ever.

Oh, I'll have a look out for those - don't go to the Co-op that often tho.

I picked up a job lot of Golden King on yellow sticker in Tesco a fortnight ago, and they're good too. Not quite as floury as a Piper, but they have such a lovely smooth, silky texture and a nutty flavour.

Tried some of this last week, costs a quid and thats too much, yuck!
1668012578349.png

Couple of days later my next door neighbour pops round with a bag of spuds from the allotment, all muddy and lovely, but at least the spuds were clean :laugh: (@Fnaar .... see what I did there!) ....
.... anyway, where was I? Oh, yes .... the experience once I had liberally applied a good slab of butter was very memorable.

And the mashed potato tasted quite good too. :okay:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Tried some of this last week, costs a quid and thats too much, yuck!
View attachment 667380
Couple of days later my next door neighbour pops round with a bag of spuds from the allotment, all muddy and lovely, but at least the spuds were clean :laugh: (@Fnaar .... see what I did there!) ....
.... anyway, where was I? Oh, yes .... the experience once I had liberally applied a good slab of butter was very memorable.

And the mashed potato tasted quite good too. :okay:

We buy that all the time . Granddaughter loves it, i don't mind it, most seem ok with it. Its cheap and cheerful and very quick and easy.
Proper mash is a different kettle of fish, the right potatoes, perfect. The wrong ones, I'd rather eat instant tbh.

DRM

Guru
The best mash is made from the potatoes that roll off the trailers and bounce into the grass verge ready for this cyclist to pick up and fill her pannier bag full. :blush:

Poach the potatoes with a clove of garlic till very soft, drain, add a splooshette of milk, a dollop of butter, pepper, nutmeg and then mash. And after, stir in oodles of grated cheese.

Food of the Goddess! :hungry:

Does the farmer not wonder why a young lady on a bike keeps following his tractor & trailer?

DRM

Guru
Side note saw some awful person on twitter sharing their "cottage pie" the other day - it looked like this abomination:-
Martha here has just made up some history to justify doing it. Bl**dy americans
That looks suspiciously like a Lancashire hot pot type thing to me, but not as bad as this utter shambles.
1668277624815.jpeg

supposed to be an American version of Roast chicken with Yorkshire pudding! :stop:

icowden

Veteran
lumpy mash anyone ?
I love it, not strictly lumpy, but I do not like it when mash is like creamy, like a solid liquid, yuk.ì
No milk, just a nob of butter, lightly mashed, perfect.

Total agree. Creamed potato is not mash!

icowden

Veteran
That looks suspiciously like a Lancashire hot pot type thing to me, but not as bad as this utter shambles.
View attachment 667775
supposed to be an American version of Roast chicken with Yorkshire pudding! :stop:

Dear God. Is there no saving these people from themselves?

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
The best mash is made from the potatoes that roll off the trailers and bounce into the grass verge ready for this cyclist to pick up and fill her pannier bag full. :blush:

Poach the potatoes with a clove of garlic till very soft, drain, add a splooshette of milk, a dollop of butter, pepper, nutmeg and then mash. And after, stir in oodles of grated cheese.

Food of the Goddess! :hungry:

Do you ever steal the neeps that have been fed to sheep in winter? Like my parents used to?

Top Bottom