Insurance claim question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RCU

Regular
Hi all,

Hoping someone has experience with this. Got hit by a car a few weeks back, thankfully I'm all good but the bikes been written off. Drivers insurance is offering a replacement based on discounted equivalent which I'm not too happy about as no guarantee it will still be on offer or available in the right size. However, even if they offer the RRP I'm not keen on this year's colourway.

So the TL : DR question is...
Are they under an obligation to get the bike resprayed to match the old frame or just to supply like for like on model?

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for any advice!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Hi all,

Hoping someone has experience with this. Got hit by a car a few weeks back, thankfully I'm all good but the bikes been written off. Drivers insurance is offering a replacement based on discounted equivalent which I'm not too happy about as no guarantee it will still be on offer or available in the right size. However, even if they offer the RRP I'm not keen on this year's colourway.

So the TL : DR question is...
Are they under an obligation to get the bike resprayed to match the old frame or just to supply like for like on model?

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for any advice!
You'll be lucky.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you want the frame respraying because you don't like the colour that will have to come out of your pocket.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You are entitled to a like for like replacement, including any upgrades that you made. Stick to your guns. Don't accept anything else. It is up to the insurance company to reimburse you fully for your loss. However as classic said, if you want say an upgrade on anything, that is called betterment and you would have to pay the extra to cover that upgrade.

classic33

Leg End Member
Find one of the same make & model, in the colour scheme you like, and present that to the insurers.

You should be able to get the replacement from where you want, not have to accept the replacement as offerred.

OP
OP
RCU

RCU

Regular
Thanks everyone. Tbh I was going to throw a bit extra in to upgrade anyway. The exact make/model isn't available new anywhere I've been able to find. Thinking it over more I think I'm being stubborn because they have only offered to cover the discounted price they've found online. If they'd said RRP I'd have probably gone for it as miss having wheels. But since they've tried to save themselves about £300 it got me thinking about the colour side of things.

All I want at this point is a new bike but no guarantee I'll get like for like if I rely on a discounted price.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks everyone. Tbh I was going to throw a bit extra in to upgrade anyway. The exact make/model isn't available new anywhere I've been able to find. Thinking it over more I think I'm being stubborn because they have only offered to cover the discounted price they've found online. If they'd said RRP I'd have probably gone for it as miss having wheels. But since they've tried to save themselves about £300 it got me thinking about the colour side of things.

All I want at this point is a new bike but no guarantee I'll get like for like if I rely on a discounted price.
Get a quote for replacement of the bike that's been written off. It should include anything added to the bike since you bought it. Not the bike as bought.

screenman

Legendary Member
Tell them your back is starting to hurt.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Don't accept a pay-out for a bike you don't want that you might not even be able to get. You'll regret it afterwards - I know I would.

Get a couple of adverts for what you had (or the very nearest equivalent), including all upgrades or accessories (even down to fancy bar tape if you fitted it) and present that to them.
I'd also remind them how reasonable you've been and how you'd much rather settle direct with them than have to get solicitors involved to get a fair settlement.

Dreamer21

What happened to your bike that got written off ?
Who was your cycle insurance with ?

How quick was they too write off your bike

OP
OP
RCU

RCU

Regular
Hi all. Thanks for the responses.

Driver failed to stop at a roundabout and took me out and admitted all fault to police at scene. So all under their insurance. Had the bike assessed by LBS who quoted for full repair and the insurer deemed uneconomical to repair as cost was more than a new bike.

Good news is I went back to them and insisted on getting pedals replaced as don't come with the bike, and I had "upgraded" tires. They've agreed the full RRP and all extras so I am off to order the new bike tomorrow.

Top Bottom