Insurance companies for a bike that's not mine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steven1988

Veteran
Hi Everyone,

Is anyone aware of a bike insurance company that will let me cover a bike that isn't mine. I'm wanting to insure the lads bike bit can't find a company willing to insure it in my name.

Any suggestions?

jay clock

Massive member
transfer it to your name?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
When you say "the lad" - how old is he? In general, unless you own an item you can't insure it - you need an insurable interest. If "the lad" is your child and still a child then you own the bike.

(The usual question of whether it's sensible to insure a bike remains.)

OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
Sorry the lad is 9, I've wanted to insure his bike but the companies I have rang say they will not insure a child's bike to an adult as it is obvious it is not Mine.

So I am at a dead end

alicat

Legendary Member
Is it very valuable? It might be covered anyway on your household insurance and failing that would it be the end of the world if it went missing?

OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
Is it very valuable? It might be covered anyway on your household insurance and failing that would it be the end of the world if it went missing?

It is an expensive bike,£1250 new, the home insurance only covers it at home. I'd like to get away from home cover just incase

400bhp

Guru
Sorry the lad is 9, I've wanted to insure his bike but the companies I have rang say they will not insure a child's bike to an adult as it is obvious it is not Mine.

So I am at a dead end
That is incorrect information, assuming the cover is for property and not liability.
It is not really owned by your son in any place as he is under age 16.
It’s the same as saying any contents in your child’s bedroom aren’t insured.

jay clock

Massive member
That is incorrect information, assuming the cover is for property and not liability.
agreed. If your 7 yr old had an iPad they would not insist in you taking out a policy in her name ....

when I was 9 my bike cost about a fiver. Lucky boy!

alicat

Legendary Member
When your home cover is up for renewal look for a policy that covers bikes away from home. You will have to make sure it is adequately locked etc as if you would an adult's bike.

Reactions: mjr

Firestorm

Veteran
The issue is that you cannot take out insurance if you do not have insurable inerest. In this instance you do have, the bike is not your sons its yours , he is 9.
There may be some issues in the wording of the policy conditions of some policies which may limit the coverage beyond that which you might find acceptable.

vickster

Legendary Member
How about asking if you can add away from. home cover? Or the bike as a named item? Failing that call the bike specific insurers, speak to them rather than trying online

Is your sun a British cycling member? Or a club member? Anything they can offer?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
This.

It's more likely that the insurance firms don't want to insure it. That might be because they've had hassle in the past with parents claiming bikes have been "stolen" when they've been outgrown, or because they're not used to the idea that a child's bike could be valuable.

If you need insurance, the best way is probably to change your household insurance to a better firm.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom