Insurance company telling me I have to go through Wheelies...is this right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Hasn't been fully approved yet but my insurance compant tell me that if they can't source a replacement for my stolen bike (which they can't because the new version is £250 above my limit) then I will have to get an alternative from Wheelies or perhaps Halfords. I have found a bike I like for £799.99 on Tredz - the same model is on Wheelies for £1049.99!!! So do I have to get a bike from Wheelies does anyone know? Or can I force them to let me get it from where I want?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/price-match

Tredz said:
If you do find the product you want cheaper from another UK retailer, we'll always do our best to match it.

Getting a price match is simple. Just call customer services on 01792 799508 or email info@tredz.co.ukwith 'Tredz price match' in the subject line. We'll check the price and if it meets our terms and conditions, we'll get back to you with our price match offer.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hasn't been fully approved yet but my insurance compant tell me that if they can't source a replacement for my stolen bike (which they can't because the new version is £250 above my limit) then I will have to get an alternative from Wheelies or perhaps Halfords. I have found a bike I like for £799.99 on Tredz - the same model is on Wheelies for £1049.99!!! So do I have to get a bike from Wheelies does anyone know? Or can I force them to let me get it from where I want?

When I was offered and online replacement bike (following a smidsy, my insurance company* were replacing my bike and claiming from the driver) I simply told them I had a longstanding relationship with my LBS and wanted to deal with them and got a cheque for full list price in the post the next day.

*Hiscox

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I don't believe the insurance company can force you to take their replacement, but then they'll only offer you their cash evaluation of the worth of the bike that was stolen. If you think that's a crap offer and they won't budge, then off to the ombudsman you must go.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Tredz and Wheelies were both owned by the same people - both businesses are now owned by Halfords anyway. Don't expect them all to be competing against each other too much...
Just about to raise that point....if they are under the same umbrella, then surely Wheelies £1049, Tredz £799......can't i just ask to get it from the Tredz arm of Wheelies/Halfords instead?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If the insurers are genuinely buying a true replacement or equivale to your satisfaction, then them getting a discount off halfords is not your problem as everyone's happy.

Now if they're giving you a Halfords or Wheelers voucher to replace your blinktastic Brian Rourke bespoke bike then you would be entitled to reject that as unsatisfactory

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
My LBS warned my that this was likely to happen as I'm currently going through a similar process (but for a SMIDSY), their advice was that you should just argue with them and insist you just receive the cash. It's just a deal they have set up with Wheelie to try to send trade their way.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I don't believe the insurance company can force you to take their replacement, but then they'll only offer you their cash evaluation of the worth of the bike that was stolen. If you think that's a crap offer and they won't budge, then off to the ombudsman you must go.
sfaik ianal it now depends on their t's and c's, which, of course, you read thoroughly before signing up.

Top Bottom