Insurance query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mick54

Any recommendations for getting bike insurance,got a new bike coming friday valued at 1600 and need to get it insured before hitting the road

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Any recommendations for getting bike insurance,got a new bike coming friday valued at 1600 and need to get it insured before hitting the road

I am with velosure insurance. £102. Insured at home and away from. 2 million third party liability as well.

And of course you can look at your contents insurance as well. You might be able to insure your bike on that.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you can, it will almost certainly be cheaper to add it to your home insurance.

I used Bikmo+ when my house insurance didn't offer sufficient cover and the cover provided seemed good but I never had a claim so can't comment on that side of things. I've since changed house insurance provider to get the bikes covered.

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm with Bikmo. I pay about £200/year to insure all of my bikes. And the coverage is full RRP, not what I paid for it. Includes accessory cover as well.

Brads

Cycle insurance is the most expensive I've come across.
7k worth of bikes cost more than my 17k motor bike and car insurance combined.

They are on my home insurance and will never be stolen away from home.

Brads

I would disagree with that actually.

I would guess my BMW GS adventure is far more likely to walk than my bikes, which realistically, never leave my sight away from home.

Anhoo, moot. Insure them via home cover and never have them stolen away from home, even if they are.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Most home contents insurance policies will let you insure named items lost or stolen away from the home. That way you don’t have to lie on your claim form.

Anyone's home policies cover bikes worth over £5k? Ours won't the buggers :-(

Brads

Mines will but cannot find one that covers theft away from home.
Named items yes, I have watches covered in this way, but bikes seem to be an issue for them.

They are thieves anyway so creative claiming wouldn't break me out in a sweat.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Anyone's home policies cover bikes worth over £5k? Ours won't the buggers :-(

I'm not sure if you mean one bike over £5k or several bikes totalling more than £5k. Either way I think with research you would find the cover. It's a relatively low risk and insurers understand it's an excellent way to gain business.

Plenty do offer cycle cover though the position with an individual insurer can change from year to year. I'll be researching for next year over the next week. Usually the cover is as named items rather than specific cycle cover.

Currently I'm with Hastings Direct. EVERYTHING I own covered for £199 including new for old on two named bikes, one valued at £3500, the other £2500. The renewal for the next 12 months is £231.

When one can cover one's house and every poessession, world wide, for +/-£200 I can't begin to understand why one would have bike specific insurance for the same cost. Quite beyond me.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm not sure if you mean one bike over £5k or several bikes totalling more than £5k. Either way I think with research you would find the cover. It's a relatively low risk and insurers understand it's an excellent way to gain business.

Plenty do offer cycle cover though the position with an individual insurer can change from year to year. I'll be researching for next year over the next week. Usually the cover is as named items rather than specific cycle cover.

Currently I'm with Hastings Direct. EVERYTHING I own covered for £199 including new for old on two named bikes, one valued at £3500, the other £2500. The renewal for the next 12 months.

When one can cover one's house and every poessession, world wide, for +/-£200 I can't begin to understand why one would have bike specific insurance for the same cost. Quite beyond me.
Do the bikes have to be stored in the house Paul or would that cover in a shed?

Top Bottom