Insurance recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Now I've bought an expensive (to me) bike, I'm looking at getting accident damage cover for it, just in case the worst happens.

I've looked round lots of insurance companies and they largely seem much of a muchness but the one I'm leaning towards is Velosure. Their cover also includes 24/7 cycle rescue (limited though it may be) and there theft cover only requires a Sold Secure Silver lock (meaning I can use my small lock, rather than lugging around the 1.6 kg Gold lock I've got)

I'm already covered for theft through my house insurance, but they don't offer accidental damage cover and as I'm mid-policy I accept I'll have to double up on that element for now.

Before I take the plunge, any advice or recommendations? Thanks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Once the household policy is up, that's the answer long term. Have a look who BC and CTC (Cycling England ?) use.

Reactions: mjr

Brains

Legendary Member
To resurrect an old thread.

I have a what was, when new, a top of the range Tourer, also a couple of Bromptons and a decent run around bike, altogether no change from four grand if you had to buy them all brand new today

For a number of years I insured my bike via my CTC membership to Butterworth Insurance. they offered 'new for old' insurance, which for a bike is what you need, as getting say £500 quid back for a nicked Brompton is not going to buy you a Brompton

Butterworth seem to have quietly dropped 'new for old' insurance and also quietly dropped me as a client (even though in 12 years I have never made a claim and they have got back substantially more in premiums than the cost of a new replacement of any single bike)

Can anyone recommend and insurance company that offers 'new for old' on bikes at a sensible figure
Or am I better off taking the risk and not getting cycle insurance ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Home insurance?

vickster

Legendary Member
Even on named items? Insured at replacement value (which you'd have to do anyhow so as to not be under insured)

Or See what Wiggle offer? Cycle guard? British cycling?

Or just put the premiums in a just in case pot?

OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I went with Velosure and they offer 'new for old' cover regardless of the age of the bike: https://www.velosure.co.uk/bicycle-insurance-faqs - see under 'How do I value my cycle'.
That said, it may be worth you shopping around when your home insurance comes up for renewal as different companies will offer different cover, either as standard or on option when taking a policy out.

Top Bottom