Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi Folks

I've insured my bike through my contents insurance. However, my bike is not insured for damage whilst in use (which to me is madness!). I think I would probably like to take out actual bike insurance. Can anyone recommend any insurance companies?

Thanks

J

vickster

Legendary Member
It's v expensive to cover your bike for accidental damage. Check with your home insurers and then the cycle specific firms. Most charge a premium equal to at least 10pc of the bikes value, may not cover for accidental damage

Also join an organisation providing 3rd party indemnity cover and legal cover if home insurers don't

And read this https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/insurance-and-cycling.118438/

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Hi Folks

I've insured my bike through my contents insurance. However, my bike is not insured for damage whilst in use (which to me is madness!). I think I would probably like to take out actual bike insurance. Can anyone recommend any insurance companies?

Thanks

J
If you damage your bike in use, get it home, put it on the drive, and reverse over it in your car.

Hopefully your excess isn't too, erm, excessive.

Hope this helps ^_^

If you damage your bike in use, get it home, put it on the drive, and reverse over it in your car.

Hopefully your excess isn't too, erm, excessive.

Hope this helps ^_^
...obviously this is said in jest as it would be encouraging insurance fraud.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
...obviously this is said in jest as it would be encouraging insurance fraud.
Obviously. I should never countenance such a thing.

Especially if one had nosey neighbours.

Amazing what can happen after dark through absent mindedness, though.

byegad

Legendary Member
Put your money that you would've spent on insurance in a jar, and if you need to fix the bike, spend the money in the jar.
I do that with both my bike and my dog and so far I've saved enough to buy 1 new bike and several new dogs...

Yes I adopted this some years ago when the annual fee for insuring my three recumbent trikes was quoted on the wrong side of £700/annum. Since then I've saved several thousand pounds and never made a claim against myself.

Mile195

Veteran
Yes I adopted this some years ago when the annual fee for insuring my three recumbent trikes was quoted on the wrong side of £700/annum. Since then I've saved several thousand pounds and never made a claim against myself.
Yes... Well I was thinking of expanding my crockery based insurance to cover my motorcycle too. The barrier to this is that the jar in question is not quite big enough to hold 10 million pounds. Guess I better start eating more jam...

Top Bottom