internal headset servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the internal headset on my trusty carrera-framed trigger's broom of a commuter/winter bike was sounding a bit gritty as i turned the bars.

i took the stem and wheels off with the view to taking the offending headset bearing out (the one at the bottom of the head tube) and trawling the local bike shops for a replacement, but it became apparent that it was a job for someone with more suitable tools/patience than me.

i've smothered the bearing in grease and it now seems to turn without any grumbling. is it an accident waiting to happen, or should it be safe enough until i can get it booked in for a proper replacement?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Should be ok , i ran mine for 6 months + like that till i decided to get it done.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
[QUOTE 4209191, member: 45"]If it's carerra, Halfords will have your part.[/QUOTE]
i'm sure they will, but i wouldn't trust them to fit it!

i've found cane creek replacements on wiggle which, according to one of their agents on live-chat, will fit, but i reckon one of the two lbs i frequent for servicing will go the job just fine…

with a long club run looming tomorrow, i'm having to make-do-and-mend as the weather won't be good enough for the summer bike, and i'd get complained at for it not having mudguards anyway ;)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i'm sure they will, but i wouldn't trust them to fit it!

i've found cane creek replacements on wiggle which, according to one of their agents on live-chat, will fit, but i reckon one of the two lbs i frequent for servicing will go the job just fine…

with a long club run looming tomorrow, i'm having to make-do-and-mend as the weather won't be good enough for the summer bike, and i'd get complained at for it not having mudguards anyway ;)
Depends on the particular shop, my local has a decent mechanic and they changed mine in an afternoon , LBS is good but i might have to wait two weeks and with BC discount it was a good price.

lpretro1

[QUOTE 4209191, member: 45"]If it's carerra, Halfords will have your part.[/QUOTE]
Not necessarily - Halfords often do NOT have things like gear mech hangers, bearings etc. Just cos they sell that make of bike doesn't guarantee they'll have the part I'm afraid - experience shows this :smile:

Top Bottom