International Cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
And of course we have the terrifyingly good U23 guys coming up. One of whom tore up the National Trophy at Shrewsbury in a very commanding fashion.

The Couch

Über Member
@VamP , just checked it... congrats for your results so far in your league: head and shoulders ahead of (overall) 4th place and only 2 points away of winning the EV45 competition! C'mon give it your all in that last race :thumbsup:

By the way... any idea what is up with Ian Field? He had a fairly good start of the season, but lately he's been pretty awful.

One of whom tore up the National Trophy at Shrewsbury in a very commanding fashion.
Hmmm...Yorben Van Tichelt?? Hardly rings a bell :blush: ... another sign that there are indeed quite some good Belgian U23 riders around.
They are also looking more promising then the previous generation that has already made the jump to the elites (Joeri Adams, Jim Arnouts, Wietse Bosmans). LvdH looks to be the only real gem from that generation.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
@VamP , just checked it... congrats for your results so far in your league: head and shoulders ahead of (overall) 4th place and only 2 points away of winning the EV45 competition! C'mon give it your all in that last race :thumbsup:

By the way... any idea what is up with Ian Field? He had a fairly good start of the season, but lately he's been pretty awful.

Hmmm...Yorben Van Tichelt?? Hardly rings a bell :blush: ... another sign that there are indeed quite some good Belgian U23 riders around.
They are also looking more promising then the previous generation that has already made the jump to the elites (Joeri Adams, Jim Arnouts, Wietse Bosmans). LvdH looks to be the only real gem from that generation.

Yeah, the U23 pressure cooker in Belgium is getting quite hot. Yorben wasn't good enough to make the 6 member U23 selection for the Rome WC race. This is what he said after the NT race:

"The under 23 category in Belgium is so fast this season with riders finishing second in Pro races behind Niels Albert. There's so much competition. There are 10 riders who could go to world cups races yet only six can race in a team!"

As to my league, the plan is indeed to give it my all in the last race, but first I need to get rid of this manflu, and then there is the small matter of the GB National Championships next Saturday :evil:

Dunno about Ian. Maybe just a couple of ropey races?

oldroadman

Veteran
Yeah, the U23 pressure cooker in Belgium is getting quite hot. Yorben wasn't good enough to make the 6 member U23 selection for the Rome WC race. This is what he said after the NT race:

"The under 23 category in Belgium is so fast this season with riders finishing second in Pro races behind Niels Albert. There's so much competition. There are 10 riders who could go to world cups races yet only six can race in a team!"

As to my league, the plan is indeed to give it my all in the last race, but first I need to get rid of this manflu, and then there is the small matter of the GB National Championships next Saturday :evil:

Dunno about Ian. Maybe just a couple of ropey races?

Ian Field spends the majority of his season in Belgium and Nederlands, he has only appeared at two NT races and in both cases simply rode away from the opposition as he liked. If he does ride the nationals, I'd have a little flutter, I think. A class above anyone in this country right now.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Ian Field spends the majority of his season in Belgium and Nederlands, he has only appeared at two NT races and in both cases simply rode away from the opposition as he liked. If he does ride the nationals, I'd have a little flutter, I think. A class above anyone in this country right now.

Well, he is on the start list...

lyn1

Über Member
...no surprise there given he has been a full time off road bike rider for 10 years, much of that based in the hotbed of cross, where he gets World quality racing every week. One would hope he can ride away from a field comprising part time amateurs like Oldham who work 35 hours a week and some weekend warriors. To his credit Ian has stuck at it although it's interesting to think where cross would be if some very strong bikers had also stuck at it, although understandable why they didn't.
YCCA site shows all these guys riding cross in Yorkshire during 2004/5 as youths:
Jason Kenny, Steven Burke, Pete Kennaugh (all Olympic Champions on the Track), Dave Daniell (GB sprinter until recently), Jonny McEvoy, Adam Blythe, Scott Thwaites, Jonny Bellis, Mark McNally (Road Pros) Ali Brownlee, Olympic Gold Medalist, Phil Graves, Ironman Champion.

Last edited:

The Couch

Über Member
.... To his credit Ian has stuck at it although it's interesting to think where cross would be if some very strong bikers had also stuck at it, although understandable why they didn't.
YCCA site shows all these guys riding cross in Yorkshire during 2004/5 as youths:
Jason Kenny, Steven Burke, Pete Kennaugh (all Olympic Champions on the Track), Dave Daniell (GB sprinter until recently), Jonny McEvoy, Adam Blythe, Scott Thwaites, Jonny Bellis, Mark McNally (Road Pros) Ali Brownlee, Olympic Gold Medalist, Phil Graves, Ironman Champion.
Wow... I'm not from the UK (nor do I know much about Triatlon or the Track-circuit outside of the 6-day races) and even I recognize quite some of these names

Makes me kinda wonder what if guys like Lars VdH would have chosen the track... with his sprinting speed and his ability to ride a very high constant speed for an hour long... I imagine he should be suited for the track as well (maybe even more than the cross)

The Couch

Über Member
Well, he is on the start list...
If I'd be him, I would also ride the Nationals. Who wouldn't want to wear the national jersey for a year?
And (not knowing the history or anything) he might be able to set some sort of record if he keeps focusing on cyclo-cross (while other talented youngsters most probably won't). He still fairly young (compared to Nys), so he should be able to win it many times, right?

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
If I'd be him, I would also ride the Nationals. Who wouldn't want to wear the national jersey for a year?
And (not knowing the history or anything) he might be able to set some sort of record if he keeps focusing on cyclo-cross (while other talented youngsters most probably won't). He still fairly young (compared to Nys), so he should be able to win it many times, right?

Right.

From another side: I see Styby has let the Czech Cycling Federation put his name down for the Worlds after all. He is leaving his final decision to the last minute, as he doesn't want to ''run in ankle deep mud for 45 minutes'', but I guess having the Worlds just down the road from his house he was just too tempted. He is however not going to the Czech Champs as he prefers to spend training time in Mallorca with OPQS.

The Couch

Über Member
Interesting to see he likes the disc version of this bike, as he hated the disc Colnago. Still I am not a fan of that bike, although I am sure it performs well. The only cool thing are the WC striped Rhinos. They are very very cool.
And what about the custom-made for Cancellara Paris-Roubaix saddle?

The Couch

Über Member
I don't tend to get that excited about saddles :laugh:
Last year, I went on a ride for the first time ever on a mountain-bike... I can guarantee you that since that moment I personally would be very interested/excited about saddles, if I would ever want to pursue a continuation to that experience ;):B)

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I don't want to be rude and ask about your age but...

...the first time ever on a mountain-bike...

Really???? :eek:

Top Bottom