International Cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
I don't want to be rude and ask about your age but...

...the first time ever on a mountain-bike...

Really???? :eek:
Yeah... Accept for riding my (regular) bike to school, I never did any actual bicycling.
I've played football for 15 years and since I started working I have been playing badminton.

But as you've probably noticed I have always been a passive sports enthusiast (about cycling as well as other sports). :smile:

FYI I'm turning 30 in 2 months time

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Fair enough :smile:

However, I have to say, 30 is a great time to start cyclocross. You should be at the top of your game by the time you get to Vet age :biggrin:

U

User169

Watched the Belgians champs race today. Lovely move by Nys in the heavy sand - helped by Albert more or less falling off and slowing the rest of the field. Once he's got a gap it seemed to be pretty much game over.

The Couch

Über Member
Yeah, he looked the only rider able to maintain decent momentum through the sand!!
Well, he did struggle the 9th (and last) time he had to go through the sand section ;)

Nice to see some "underdogs" on the podium like Rob Peeters and "the other old guy" Wellens.

But the race itself was a bit of a let-down with Albert, Van Tornout and Pauwels clearly not in top-form and nobody else who had anything even close to what Nys could bring on this track.
I guess the riders (or their managers) didn't want to ruin the rest of the season by (having them) continuing the race, but still perhaps a bit disrespectful to the spectators and fans of Albert and Van Tornout not to ride out the race. And it's not like these circumstances (dry, not very cold) were that perilous to finish the race.

Funny (although of course not for Van Aert) bit with the U23:
Wout had a false start, than the judges didn't apply the rules fully (by having him removed from the race) and asked the other riders if it was ok for Van Aert to start in the back... of course not all riders agreed (since he was the big favourite to win it) and so he was put aside... The other guys had their start and about 2 seconds after they were away, he jumped on his bike and drove after them. He had gained up on many riders already by the time the judges could take him out (somewhere at the end of the first tour) by threatening to suspend him for the remainder of the season.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Impressive as the accomplishments of Messrs Nys and Kaiser undoubtedly are, yours truly also rode in a National championship. A little bit less impressive at 26th in my age group. I had fun though.

National Trophy Derby 2014 119.jpg

The Couch

Über Member
Impressive as the accomplishments of Messrs Nys and Kaiser undoubtedly are, yours truly also rode in a National championship. A little bit less impressive at 26th in my age group. I had fun though.
Hey... you'd still would have doubled me up (fairly quickly) :smile:

Did you ride then in the same race as the elite men or was it a separate time?
BTW, looking at the result Field didn't really blow the competition away in the nationals. I guess he's looking forward to the end of the season.

oldroadman

Veteran
Hey... you'd still would have doubled me up (fairly quickly) :smile:

Did you ride then in the same race as the elite men or was it a separate time?
BTW, looking at the result Field didn't really blow the competition away in the nationals. I guess he's looking forward to the end of the season.

Never built a huge lead, but never needed to - he was simply not in any difficulty. Others chasing were right on the edge, the difference in class was obvious. There is poor strength in depth at senior level, when Nick Craig, talented and determined as he is (and would probably be a superb coach), can get in the high placings a day after winnig a vets championship, it must raise a concern. Look at the results and so many riders in top 10 are "old campaigners", they were alos spread out over minutes by the finish. Let's just hope some of the under-23 can come through and shake things up.

The Couch

Über Member
Never built a huge lead, but never needed to - he was simply not in any difficulty. Others chasing were right on the edge, the difference in class was obvious.
Okay... of course didn't see the race, so now it makes more sense to me... still I had been keeping an eye on him (with you guys around here having much appreciation for him) and in the international crosses he's not been as strong as in the beginning of the season
There is poor strength in depth at senior level, when Nick Craig... high placings a day after winnig a vets championship, it must raise a concern
Sven Nys ain't that young either and he's still kicking ass as well ;) (he's older than the Paul Oldham that was mentioned here in earlier posts)
Let's just hope some of the under-23 can come through and shake things up.
And that they stay around in cyclocross

The Couch

Über Member
Funny bit with the U23:
Wout had a false start... the judges could take him out by threatening to suspend him for the remainder of the season.
Wout Van Aert had his revenge though...
the next day there is - traditionally - a cross in "Otegem" (where?? -- indeed :smile:.... but anyway) he won it ahead of Van Tornout, Peeters and Pauwels.

Albert and Wellens were not feeling well and Nys decided to rest, so neither of them started and all of the other had ridden the day before of course, but still it shows that there is some real talent in the U23 generation in general (and particularly in this guy). I am pretty sure Van der Poel will have to deal a lot of times with him in the coming years/decade.

oldroadman

Veteran
Okay... of course didn't see the race, so now it makes more sense to me... still I had been keeping an eye on him (with you guys around here having much appreciation for him) and in the international crosses he's not been as strong as in the beginning of the season

Sven Nys ain't that young either and he's still kicking ass as well ;) (he's older than the Paul Oldham that was mentioned here in earlier posts)

And that they stay around in cyclocross

Just for info, Nick Craig is 44 and had ridden - and won - the over 40 championship the day before. I stand by my comments. Nick has a lot of class and experience, but if there was any real strength in depth, he should have been in difficulty with the younger riders, which he wasn't. This of course, takes nothing away from his quality ride, it's simply a reflection on what the future may hold.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Just for info, Nick Craig is 44 and had ridden - and won - the over 40 championship the day before. I stand by my comments. Nick has a lot of class and experience, but if there was any real strength in depth, he should have been in difficulty with the younger riders, which he wasn't. This of course, takes nothing away from his quality ride, it's simply a reflection on what the future may hold.

I don't disagree, but would like to temper this with pointing out that the conditions truly favoured Nick. He is awesome in that kind of sketchy barely rideable terrain, and this clearly benefited him greatly in both races. Conversely, a lot of the seniors rarely get to ride a course as tough as Derby was, and that also showed. Plus Paul Oldham's early mechanical which played a key part in how the race played out.

Nick was a class above the Vet field on Saturday, and fatigue from Saturday racing would not have been an issue by Sunday, quite the opposite; recceing the course over 40 minutes of race pace will have helped him on Sunday.

Top Bottom