Intersex athletes in Women's sport

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Crackle, 23 Aug 2016.

1. MikeonaBike

MikeonaBike Active Member

All I was trying to do was to imagine how an athlete may feel about competing against someone who they can never be on equal terms with. Not blaming Semenya at all but it must be very frustrating to believe that the only way to be on equal terms in that situation would be to take drugs to even things up. I agree that in itself, it is not a PC matter but any comments against people such as Semenya are often taken as a PC issue. What would happen if someone was born with webbed feet and hands? Would they be allowed to compete in competitive swimming? A slightly absurd analogy, maybe, but is the point not the same?

2. dellzeqq

dellzeqq pre-talced and mighty

see also Usain Bolt.

Some runners are faster, some jumpers can jump further (or higher), some dwile flonkers can dodge the flonk. And the rest of us have to get used to it...

3. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

I pondered the same question on page 1, as it's fundamental to all competitive sports in which not everyone can win. (Someone did then helpfully try and answer it though :wacko:.)

4. OP
    OP
    Crackle

Crackle Pah

I don't think being PC, which is a meaningless term, has much to do with it. At it's most basic level it's practical problem requiring a solution but your thoughts and reaction, go to the heart of the matter, which is one of public perception of gender. It's only when you begin to de construct that on athletic terms you realize that gender equality is meaningless and sporting equality is equally meaningless because we are not all the same and in fact it's our differences which make us the sportsperson we are.

The question remains at how we square up that perception with how we practically run sporting competitions. As yet, I haven't seen or still don't have an answer

Bollo likes this.
  5. bianchi1

bianchi1 Veteran

The trouble is you need some sort of classification system if you are going to have seperate male and female events. If Jimmy Vicaut (7th in the men's 100m) decided to start competing in the woman's event he would win everything, but I imagine it wouldn't be allowed because he is a man...but what defines him as a man.

So if people want segregated sport, some sort of definition needs to be made. My guess is it's going to be an agreed testosterone level.

GuyBoden likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Crackle

Crackle Pah

7. CaadX

CaadX Well-Known Member

I believe an event catering for athletes with different abilities is called a handicap. I run a summer handicap TT series to cater for different abilities,reason being I wouldn't get the the numbers and competition were it not a handicap. Men and women compete for one trophy and its close. Different level and simplistic maybe but it cannot be that hard to come up with something should the requirment be there.

Looking at it from the opposite end, what's to stop suspect coaches ( surely not ) using intersex for there own advantage and personal gain and maybe at the cost of all others.

We know what happens when a sporting field believes rightly or wrongly that an athlete has a fair or unfair advantage, its been discussed enough in these pages. The majority of contenders would probably find something else to occupy their time and probably again to the dertriment of their sport. I could be wrong, however history tells us otherwise.

8. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Handicaps may be a fair way for the athletes themselves, but what about spectators?

Part of the "excitement" of the race is watching the struggle and competitiveness as athletes perform and one gets to the finish line first

I would have thought if you then had to wait for the times to be adjusted and it was then announced that because of the handicap that the third person to cross the line was in fact the winner would detract from this and spoil the sport for spectators

9. HF2300

HF2300 Insanity Prawn Boy

Well, we have some idea what the effect would be from para sport, where something similar is regularly done up to Olympic level; Jody Cundy's gold in the C4-5 TT, for example, where the results are factored to equalise the two categories.

10. CaadX

CaadX Well-Known Member

Spectators want entertainment from the performers they are paying. That is what you are discussing, entertainment. Sport happens elsewhere not paid and not many spectators. Not very attractive sport, unless you happen to enjoy it.

11. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

The OP was about Rio.

At these levels the sport and athletes rely heavily on sponsorship, which in turn relies on popularity and that in turn relies on Spectators and fans

12. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Have a word with the UCI about the World Champs, will you ..

Pro Tour Punditry and HF2300 like this.
  13. HF2300

HF2300 Insanity Prawn Boy

It might be suggested there was a heavy reliance on finance there as well, albeit not from the spectators...

14. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Which is why I included fans as well

15. OP
    OP
    Crackle

Crackle Pah

Several months on and the IAAF has produced its first report about androgenous athletes and the effect of testosterone on performance

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...undertake-hormone-therapy-for-future-olympics

It looks very much as though they are still leaning towards using testoerone as a cut off and requiring athletes to undergo some form of treatment in order to meet this boundary. So with everything still pending, we still hav to wait and see what the final decision will be but I can't see the stuffed blazers of the IAAF or IOC deviating too much from their view of sex and gender.

Bollo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice