Invisible me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
magnatom said:
Crackle, I thought you got me. I go around to the side of the car and ask her (in a annoyed fashion I'll agree) what was she reversing for. I see she apologises and I wave her, on. What did you want me to do, ask her out for a coffee?! My annoyance at the situation lasted all of about 10 seconds after the incident. After that I thought it was mildly amusing. I posted it along with my amusing reply from my colleague, as I thought it would be interesting/amusing etc. Also producing these videos is 'what I do'!

No idea why you think I am wound up by this!:whistle:

I do get you and no I didn't say you were wound up but the annoyance is uneccesary and accomplishes what?

On quite a few of your videos in your interaction with other people you sound annoyed which is understandable but not useful. Why, because logic and reason tend to dissolve at that point. In this case instead of telling her she can't reverse if you're there, which I'm sure she realized, a simple calm call for her to check her mirror might have sunk in more, don't you think? And that's without considering the effect on your own mind and approach to cycling.

With reference to state of mind and cameras, I'm now quite convinced that I wouldn't ever buy a camera. My view is the fitting of one tends to fixate you into a negative view of cycling and then allow you to dwell on it over and over again. I can't argue that they are occasionally useful but on balance I think their use has more negatives than positives. I know you and others may disagree but I'm clear in my own mind what I want out of my cycling experience.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Crackle said:
I do get you and no I didn't say you were wound up but the annoyance is uneccesary and accomplishes what?

On quite a few of your videos in your interaction with other people you sound annoyed which is understandable but not useful. Why, because logic and reason tend to dissolve at that point. In this case instead of telling her she can't reverse if you're there, which I'm sure she realized, a simple calm call for her to check her mirror might have sunk in more, don't you think? And that's without considering the effect on your own mind and approach to cycling.

With reference to state of mind and cameras, I'm now quite convinced that I wouldn't ever buy a camera. My view is the fitting of one tends to fixate you into a negative view of cycling and then allow you to dwell on it over and over again. I can't argue that they are occasionally useful but on balance I think their use has more negatives than positives. I know you and others may disagree but I'm clear in my own mind what I want out of my cycling experience.

Oh come on crackle. There was no need for me to point out anything about using her mirror. I'm sure she could have worked it out for herself! My reaction here was perfectly understandable considering how close she came to actually knocking me off my bike. Had she gone another 10cm she would have hit my bike, possibly another 20cm and I would have been off.

What a reaction like mine (which by many standards was very subdued) would achieve is to indicate to her the gravitas of the situation from my point of view. From my initial reaction she would at least realise how silly what she did was. I reckon, she will pay more attention in future....result.

As for cameras, yes they can focus on the negative, and I know mine does. However, not everyone needs to use their camera in the way I do. I started something, and I want to keep it going. Just think about all of the debate we have had. All of the issues that my and others filming has raised, not just here, but in the minds of the general public. Any debate on road safety is a good debate, as it makes people think, and hopefully on occasion change their ways.

I wouldn't be without my camera now on commutes. That does not stop me enjoying them, as I certainly do. On the odd occasion where something does happen, it makes me happier to know that I have a record of it and if necessary I could take it to the police etc.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
magnatom said:
I wouldn't be without my camera now on commutes. That does not stop me enjoying them, as I certainly do. On the odd occasion where something does happen, it makes me happier to know that I have a record of it and if necessary I could take it to the police etc.
And they could enjoy watching it over a nice cuppa... and then carry on to do something else which involved someone far more important than a cyclist. :whistle:

tyred

Legendary Member
She wasn't expecting to find anyone so close behind her at that point.

I almost reversed over a man while driving a van once. I was parked in a car park, started the engine, was about to reverse out, stopped for a split second to retune the radio, had a quick glance in both door mirrors and started reversing. I had moved about a foot when someone knocked on the back door. It was quite a breezy day and as it turns out, a man had crouched down behind my van looking for a bit of shelter to light a fag when I started reversing. I never expected anyone to be there.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
A copper on yacf had his bike and foot (I think) run over by a reversing van. It's one to be careful of, and ever since reading his story I've been wary of being close behind a vehicle.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
A copper on yacf had his bike and foot (I think) run over by a reversing van. It's one to be careful of, and ever since reading his story I've been wary of being close behind a vehicle.

When I started crossing the junction I thought she was turning. So I had no reason to think she would still be there by the time I crossed. I noticed she was slowing, but by that time I was crossing the junction so I had to keep going (some cars were coming). It meant I had to get closer than I normally would. Still about 1.5m away before she starts reversing!

OK Maggers I take your point.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
magnatom said:
When I started crossing the junction I thought she was turning. So I had no reason to think she would still be there by the time I crossed. I noticed she was slowing, but by that time I was crossing the junction so I had to keep going (some cars were coming). It meant I had to get closer than I normally would. Still about 1.5m away before she starts reversing!

No need to be so defensive, you're like a cat on carpet for traction at the moment.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
No need to be so defensive, you're like a cat on carpet for traction at the moment.

:smile: I'm not being defensive, honest! Just explaining what I did and why. I suppose I'm getting used to the abuse now (not here), and pro-actively react to what I think people might pick up.

I really do know what it must be like to be on trial for murder, the scrutiny of every detail, the hate etc! :biggrin:

I sometimes check out the places that link to my videos (insight on youtube) and recently I noticed I was getting a lot of new hits on the site. Turns out someone had posted one of my videos on pistonheads. Blimey, you'd think I'd been responsible for some heinous crimes. Ho hum, it gets people talking.....:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

[Devil's advocate]

Should you not have clocked the parallel-parking car, the black one approaching it from behind, and the cars approaching you on the other side of the road, and waited?

[/Devil's advocate]

Yup. I probably should have, but from where I was coming it wasn't obvious. I honestly thought she was turning, but taking her time. See I am human! :biggrin:

Top Bottom