Invitation to join in a non-stop JOGLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich87

Hi All,

I'm sure a few of you are aware of my up coming attempt to cycle JoG - LE in 2 and a 1/2 days from my numerous posts asking for advice.

Well the time to set off is fast approaching. We're due to depart JoG at 9am on Saturday 28th May, with the aim of arriving in LE at some point on Monday 30th May.

If any of you live close to the JoGLE route, I just wanted to ask if you would be interested in meeting us and cycling a few miles of the route with me? I'm the only member of our team doing the cycling (i.e. not a relay arrangement) and am being backed up by a couple of support vehicles and a team of 6 friends.

I've mentioned the potential for meeting cyclists en route before, with some expressions of interest, but now that the big day is fast approaching I'd like to confirm arrangements if there is interest?

The route that we'll be following can be found at; http://www.richardwestover.com/page13.htm or http://www.bikemap.net/route/719719.

The main places that we'll pass through are;
After initially following the coastline from John O'Groats and then cutting across Scotland, the first major town we'll hit will be Fort William and then after taking in many of the Lochs, Glasgow followed byKilmarnock and Dumfries. From there, we'll cross over the border to Carlisle and down to Kendall.

Next will be Lancaster, going straight past the university and then Preston, Wigan and Warrington. From there it's down to Shrewsbury and Hereford, before aiming for the Severn Bridge and crossing back into England.

Then we'll go past Bristol and down to Bridgewater and Taunton on the way to Exeter for the final stretch. I hope this will be a dash across Cornwall, but that may optimistic by the time we get there, particularly with the undulating Cornish countryside.

This section will take us through Okehampton, Launceston, Bodmin and then Redruth. Finally we'll reach Hayle which takes us very close to one of my favourite holiday destinations, St Ives.

Then it's just Penzance and on to Lands End hopefully around lunch time a couple of days after we set off from John O'Groats.

It would be a big morale boost to meet up with some other cyclists en route, so please do get in touch if you are interested and I can give you some approximate timings. You're obviously welcome to ride as many or as few miles with me as you feel like, I'll just be glad for the company - I'm sure it would also be helpful for picking up my pace if I'm starting to slow down, particularly after going through the night.

If you don't fancy getting on your bike, I'm sure the team or I wouldn't say no to a fresh cup of tea and some cake!

Hope to see some of you in a couple of weeks,

Rich

I wont be able to join you but I wish you all the very best - you are a braver (fitter) man than I!

Christkd

Dude, you are hardcore! I wish you all the very best, what you are doing is amazing!!! Unfortunately living in Southampton I am nowhere near your route but I hope others can join you as it'll be a very lonely journey otherwise!

Chris

Rebel Ian

Likewise, we're setting off in July so will be nowhere near your route as you pass.

I think you're mad ;) but wish you the very best of luck. It's an amazing challenge.

Mitz

And heres me fretting about doing it in 14 days !!!

The very best of luck to you ..... you won't be passing near us, so I cant pop along for a ride I'm afraid
biggrin.gif

shirokazan

Veteran
You're obviously welcome to ride as many or as few miles with me as you feel like, I'll just be glad for the company - I'm sure it would also be helpful for picking up my pace if I'm starting to slow down, particularly after going through the night.

Best of luck! Frankly, if I were to meet up with you, I don't think I could live with your pace!

OP
OP
R

rich87

Thanks for your support guys, shame I won't be able to ride with you.

Best of luck with your End2End's!

If you want to follow our progress down the country anyway and see how we're getting on, the team will be updating twitter and facebook with messages and photos as much as our phone signal will allow.

For Facebook, just search for page 'UKin1' and for Twitter, we're @UKin1.

The ride is also aiming to raise money for the children's charity Barnardo's who do a huge amount of work to turn around the lives of vulnerable children. Our justgiving page is; http://www.justgiving.com/ukin1 - any donations would be immensely appreciated and provide the extra motivation to get to Lands End!

Rich

david1701

up for riding alongside for some of the Cornish stretch maybe get a lift over to exe and ride with you home to launceston the on my own to Bude if that works?

OP
OP
R

rich87

Sounds great David, I expect I'll very much be needing the company to stay awake by Cornwall!

We can either contact you en route to let you know when exactly we'll be in Exeter/ I can give you some of our contact details to stay in touch over the weekend?

sabian92

Über Member
I'm the wrong side of Warrington but I wish you the best. A part of you must me missing a few screws, because that is insane! (In the nicest possible way, that is :biggrin:)

davefb

Guru
I'd join you near wigan...

except i think it'd be like a snail and a hare ;)...

even though you'll have been cycling all that way already !!!!

Best of luck!!

Top Bottom