IoW - turbo boys ride out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
CXR Andy
Bob
Tommy
Carl
Lee
Dean
Paul T
Paul(Bridgy)-maybe
Steve

Add your name if interested, plenty of time to sort bookings etc :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
You'll be fine mate. You go a lot faster tucked into a group without more effort. And it's more of a social pootle than a race anyway :cheers:

We can all stick together so no one gets lost:whistle:

OP
OP
kipster

kipster

Guru
Hi all, the reccy ride is done, we missed a bit out (up to the needles) as it was driving rain and a brutal side wind, it took us just under 4 hours moving time, but the conditions were rubbish so on a nice day 3:30-3:45 would be achievable. We got the 10 am ferry over and only just made the 16:05 ferry back (by 2 minutes). The roads are mainly smooth and lovely, with only a few patches of rough stuff. The first 30 miles is rolling with about 2000ft of climbing, a few short and sharp testers. We stopped in sandown for lunch and straight after two tougher climbs, nothing hard, but the wind and rain made them tough. Military road then followed and what should have been a great few miles turned into something quite dangerous as we were getting blown left and right by the wind. All in all a great day out, really looking forward to doing it again in September, just hoping for good weather.

OP
OP
kipster

kipster

Guru
Excellent Paul,. Early-ish start to ride down to ferry. How frequently do the ferries run/sail?
The ferries are about every hour, http://www.wightlink.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/timetable-lymington-to-yarmouth.pdf

The 10am crossing seems like the one to aim for on the day, leave brockenhurst at 8:30-8:45 and hammer down 10-15 miles to Lymington, the crossing takes about 40 minutes. They aren't too fussy about missing your return crossing (or getting an earlier one), so I'm tempted to go for the 5pm return, this will allow a good lunch stop, and a stop at the needles etc.. without having to rush. I'm tempted to try find a lunch stop after the first proper hill, there isn't much civilisation after the second.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
hammer down !
3.30 hrs !
its not a race you know :evil:^_^

Top Bottom