IoW - turbo boys ride out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kipster

kipster

Guru
Brockenhurst to Lymington is roughly 5 miles. 122ft of elevation change, quick blast even for me ::biggrin:
That's direct, I never go direct ;)

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Just checked times and distances etc and I'm 90% likely to go straight to Lymington and park up there at the ferry terminal rather than Brockenhurst. Save my little fat legs for the IoW climbs :surrender:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
what kind of percentages r these climbs after the DD I said I don't want to see 20% unless I'm in a motor vehicle
from what i can remember its nothing like the DD
one was steepish and the other shortly after seemed to go on for a bit
we'll be fine :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
If you look at kipsters iow ride, you'll see his speed never drops to 3-4mph on the two big ish hills. 6-7 mph are the slowest he recorded and not very long periods. So 10% I would say is the max for very short periods, nothing like DD

OP
OP
kipster

kipster

Guru
You'll be fine mate. A couple of bumps in the road, most of it pan flat.
The first 30 miles are deceptive, it's constant rolling hills, nothing steep or long but it isn't pan flat. I think I recorded about 2000ft of climbing in that first 30. The second half of the ride has two proper hills, again nothing steep, they are just a bit longer, after the second hill there is a long down hill / flat road (Military road) if we get a tail wind it'll be great, if it's a head wind it is grim, sea to the left, countryside to the right, nowhere to hide.

OP
OP
kipster

kipster

Guru
By way of an update, it appears there is a cycle festival on the IoW the weekend we will be there. It starts on the Saturday, there is a 'vintage' bike ride on the Saturday and a sportive on the Sunday, so we shouldn't be affected much at all. There is a cycle village being set up which might be worth a visit (possibly in Cowes).

However I think we should book the ferry tickets soon, we'll be foot passengers. So we can either book separately or I can book in bulk and you can transfer the money to my account. If it's the second option I need to know final numbers. The tickets are £15.40 and we'll be sailing on the Lymington to Yarmouth @ 10am, returning on the 5:05pm.

https://www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/whats-on/festivals/cycling-festival

http://www.iwcyclefest.com/

Top Bottom