IoW - turbo boys ride out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
sure you will be fine Carl - tuck in behind a wheel when you want a breather - if you want a blast for a bit downhill - go for it ! i know there is a lovely downhill a few miles before the needles where i am expecting to be the one seeing if every bodies tail light is working

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
IMG_1546.JPG

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
I get warm and don't like over heating.

It was a certainly a problem for me yesterday, 26C, no wind and quite a lot of climbing. Not really hot enough to be really uncomfortable, but it did wreck any attempts I made to keep my heart rate down.

On every little incline, as I slowed down, my heart rate just shot up. On a 12-13% bit I was past my 160 limit and hit 169, even though I slowed to a wobble inducing crawl. Watching my power meter, I was down to around 130 watts and still my heart rate was high, but on the faster bits I could sustain more like 160-180 watts and not get past 160 bpm. I guess when climbing, speeds slow and body temp rises, pushing heart rate up as well.

I can see why a fan is so important when on the turbo!

Another side effect of the warm weather seemed to make some drivers complete morons. The number of close passes we experienced was starting to become a real aggravation. People trying to squeeze past when traffic in the opposite direction meant they couldn't cross the center line at all, meant they were getting within a foot or so, rather than 1-1.5 meters. I took to my usual tactic of pulling out towards the middle of the road when I really didn't think it was safe for someone to pass, then pulling back towards the gutter when safe.

They were quiet roads and many cars did move entirely into the oncoming lane, but many just couldn't be bothered, or were trying to overtake approaching a bend and I guess felt safer squeezing us into the gutter than exposing themselves to possible oncoming traffic. I took to thanking anyone who pulled wide, while my friend swore loudly and gesticulated wildly at anyone who crowded him!

I guess warm sunny bank holidays are always going to bring out a number of morons...

Geoff

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
I average closer to 12 mph when I do outside rides!

@Whorty, I'm sure you'll go much faster in a group than riding on your own.

On my own, or with other riders who don't draft, I tend to be around 12-14 mph depending on terrain. Riding with only my usual companion, where we constantly draft each other, taking it in turns to pull and rest, just the two of us usually manage 15.5-16.5 mph over the same route. Riding to a heart rate, my effort is pretty much the same each time.

I've never ridden with more than 1 or 2 other riders, and have never experienced the draft from a whole group, but I have ridden with people who can average 18 mph in a group, and I doubt they were any stronger or faster than you!

Unless you spend too much time on the front, and wear yourself out! Personally, I'd let Tommy do all the hard work... ;)

OP
OP
kipster

kipster

Guru
I'm not going to get to the IoW for this but I was thinking of doing this instead

http://www.bkool.com/profile/detail/1009760?durationType=DISTANCE&lapCount=1

How close is it to the route you'll be taking?

Pretty much all the same roads, albeit a different start point and we're going clockwise

OP
OP
kipster

kipster

Guru

On my own, or with other riders who don't draft, I tend to be around 12-14 mph depending on terrain. Riding with only my usual companion, where we constantly draft each other, taking it in turns to pull and rest, just the two of us usually manage 15.5-16.5 mph over the same route. Riding to a heart rate, my effort is pretty much the same each time.

I've never ridden with more than 1 or 2 other riders, and have never experienced the draft from a whole group, but I have ridden with people who can average 18 mph in a group, and I doubt they were any stronger or faster than you!

Unless you spend too much time on the front, and wear yourself out! Personally, I'd let Tommy do all the hard work... ;)

I'm regularly in a group of 8 or 10 riders, on recent ride at the front pulling 25-27mph, my HR got to 182, after my stint I dropped to the back, same speed, HR @ 145.

Anyway, don't worry @Whorty I had an off at 18-20mph on Saturday (in the new forest). I got a good dose of road rash and am feeling a little tender. We have all day, and it would be a shame to waste the scenery and banter for a few extra mph.

Last edited:
I'm regularly in a group of 8 or 10 riders, on recent ride at the front pulling 25-27mph, my HR got to 182, after my stint I dropped to the back, same speed, HR @ 145.

Anyway, don't worry @Whorty I had an off at 18-20mph on Saturday (in the new forest). I got a good dose of road rash and am feeling a little tender. We have all day, and it would be a shame to waste the scenery and banter for a few extra mph.
I hit the like button for the post not you falling off and getting bruised up.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

If we let Tommy lead too much we'll end up going round the island twice :whistle:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
IMG_0752.JPG IMG_0743.JPG View attachment 370435

It was a certainly a problem for me yesterday, 26C, no wind and quite a lot of climbing. Not really hot enough to be really uncomfortable, but it did wreck any attempts I made to keep my heart rate down.

On every little incline, as I slowed down, my heart rate just shot up. On a 12-13% bit I was past my 160 limit and hit 169, even though I slowed to a wobble inducing crawl. Watching my power meter, I was down to around 130 watts and still my heart rate was high, but on the faster bits I could sustain more like 160-180 watts and not get past 160 bpm. I guess when climbing, speeds slow and body temp rises, pushing heart rate up as well.

I can see why a fan is so important when on the turbo!

Another side effect of the warm weather seemed to make some drivers complete morons. The number of close passes we experienced was starting to become a real aggravation. People trying to squeeze past when traffic in the opposite direction meant they couldn't cross the center line at all, meant they were getting within a foot or so, rather than 1-1.5 meters. I took to my usual tactic of pulling out towards the middle of the road when I really didn't think it was safe for someone to pass, then pulling back towards the gutter when safe.

They were quiet roads and many cars did move entirely into the oncoming lane, but many just couldn't be bothered, or were trying to overtake approaching a bend and I guess felt safer squeezing us into the gutter than exposing themselves to possible oncoming traffic. I took to thanking anyone who pulled wide, while my friend swore loudly and gesticulated wildly at anyone who crowded him!

I guess warm sunny bank holidays are always going to bring out a number of morons...

Geoff
tell me about it !!
I met one coming the other way
Mind you the red nose wasn't entirely his fault

Top Bottom