IoW - turbo boys ride out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
I didn't think 'Jim Lad' was joining us? ;)

My passport has expired.. have fun though..is it on Eurosport?

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I got distracted by work (outrageous I know) before completing my ferry booking the other day, but all done now!

I will probably do a day trip rather than stay over, unless I can do some strong renegotiating with my wife in the meantime, considering we'll be back to full-on football season taxi service for my two boys by then! Hopefully I will at least have time to stay for one beer with you all (sorry - shandy :headshake:) before heading back

So perhaps nearer the time @kipster you could advise on whereabouts in Brockenhurst would be suitable for leaving the car all day?
I'm lazy so will be driving down to the ferry and parking near the port. Something like £8 for the day.

Whorty

Dumb beginner question, but what will folks be taking for the day? Water, nut bars, cash, phone and some spares I've OK with. But what are folks planning to wear assuming it's an OK day? Long trousers/leggings? Long sleeve top? Layers (but then where do you store stuff when you take a layer off?)

Probably need to think about hitting Ebay/Amazon soon to get some kit in :addict:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Dumb beginner question, but what will folks be taking for the day? Water, nut bars, cash, phone and some spares I've OK with. But what are folks planning to wear assuming it's an OK day? Long trousers/leggings? Long sleeve top? Layers (but then where do you store stuff when you take a layer off?)

Probably need to think about hitting Ebay/Amazon soon to get some kit in :addict:

Hi Whorty

My advice for what it's worth is to build up a good selection of clothing that will allow you to cycle in all weather you are willing / or want to cycle in. That way it's easier to prepare for any ride, in a variety of conditions, and you won't be limiting your options so early.
It's hard for any of us to say for example what you personally need, in say 15c weather, as all our bodies prob run slightly differently. But with a variety of kit, and trial and error, you'll be able to make a rough judgement the day before any ride.

For me personally, for a late September ride, in what I think could be fairly changeable conditions. And assuming we're going minimum 18mph average. Starting from the top:
-Crash helmet
-Sunglasses probably with clear or just off clear lenses
-Short sleeve base layer (maybe depending on temperature on the day)
-Medium thickness short sleeve jersey.
-Long sleeve jersey(maybe, but most likely just to get me to start line and home)
-Lightweight water proof jacket to fit in back pocket of jersey
-Fingerless mitts
-Bib shorts
-medium length socks (unlikely to be wateeproof)
-overshoes (depending on weather)
Standard shoes.

This kit selection may suggest I'm being optimistic with the weather so it's possible I'd adjust it a bit if the temperature was going to be say 12 degrees or lower with a higher chance of heavy rain.

Other people may prefer knee, arm warmers. Long sleeve base layers. cycle caps etc. But it's all personal preference depending on the conditions and how hot you run. Like I say, if I were you I'd be thinking more long term and build up a variety of kit such as different thickness / material jerseys and base layers etc. And suss out what you prefer.

Hope that helps... :crazy:

CXRAndy

Guru
I'll wear summer kit, with long sleeve lycra underneath. I will bring with me a cycle top which is shower proof and also a rain jacket(those lightweight roll-up jobbies). Then on the morning I will check weather and decide on just summer kit or wear shower proof jacket on top (temp 5-15 deg C). I just wear normal shorts, doesn't matter if it rains, legs get wet whatever you wear.

OP
OP
kipster

kipster

Guru
Summer kit, with arm warmers and a gilet. Winter kit comes out in November. I get warm and don't like over heating.

The island is 65 miles round, so a couple of drinks bottles and some food (banana, apricots and the emergency gel that I take on every ride but never use) will see me good. We will stop for food on the island so you don't need yo bring a picnic ;)

@TurboTommy i think 18mph is a little optimistic. We will get some good speed in the new forest, but the lumps on the island will reign us back a bit.

Last edited:

Whorty

Summer kit, with arm warmers and a gilet. Winter kit comes out in November. I get warm and don't like over heating.

The island is 65 miles round, so a couple of drinks bottles and some food (banana, apricots and the emergency gel that I take on every ride but never use) will see me good. We will stop for food on the island so you don't need yo bring a picnic ;)

@TurboTommy i think 18mph is a little optimistic. We will get some good speed in the new forest, but the lumps on the island will reign us back a bit.
I average closer to 12 mph when I do outside rides!

CXRAndy

Guru
16 to 17 would be more realistic for a social ride. 4hrs traveling time @16mph, more than enough to get round and have a cup of tea :biggrin:

Last edited:

Whorty

16 to 17 would be more realistic for a social ride. 4hrs traveling time @16mphore than enough to get round and have a cup of tea :biggrin:
Looks like I'll need to take a map with me as there is no way I'll be able to keep up with the group at those speeds.

@kipster - have you got a ride plan I could have a look at so I can see what my options are if I get dropped and have to make my own way to the ferry and avoid missing my boat :sad:

CXRAndy

Guru
Looks like I'll need to take a map with me as there is no way I'll be able to keep up with the group at those speeds.

@kipster - have you got a ride plan I could have a look at so I can see what my options are if I get dropped and have to make my own way to the ferry and avoid missing my boat :sad:

Carl, when Paul did the ride it was at an average of 15mph for the 60 mile loop, it took 4hrs give or take a few minutes. Plenty of time and we'll all be together for the whole loop. Social. :smile:

Paul did it on the 11 July this year. He can send you the GPx or you can download from strava(don't know if you need premium for that). Don't worry about the pace, you can't use the DD average because it was so hilly. There is 4000k ft so less than half the climbing, average speed will be higher

Last edited:

Whorty

Carl, when Paul did the ride it was at an average of 15mph for the 60 mile loop, it took 4hrs give or take a few minutes. Plenty of time and we'll all be together for the whole loop. Social. :smile:

Paul did it on the 11 July this year. He can send you the GPx or you can download from strava(don't know if you need premium for that). Don't worry about the pace, you can't use the DD average because it was so hilly. There is 4000k ft so less than half the climbing, average speed will be higher

On my rides whilst training for the DD, I averaged 13 over 72 miles and 14 mph over 40 miles. Never got anywhere near 15 mph on average on an outdoor ride (DD it was 11.9 mph). Might be different in a group, but if you guys can go at 16+ I am seriously going to be slowing you down which will be no fun for the faster guys.

I may just have to miss stopping for food and eat on the go - stopping for too long killed me on the DD anyway so that in itself is not a bad idea. It will then give you guys a chance to ride at a faster pace to catch me back up.

At 65 miles, I need to average 13 mph for 5 hours, and assume 1 hour 'lost' time (taking a pee, stopping for drinks and nut bars, getting to ferry 15 mins before for check in). Given the hilly nature of the IoW this is going to be a challenge I think as I will be at my limit :sweat:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Yes perhaps 18mph was a little optimistic. Promise I won't go blasting off the front! As Andy and Kip say it's a social ride.

Whorty no way anyone gets left behind bud. Not unless we get chased by a large hungry animal. At which point I'm sure we'll agree it's every man for themselves! :hello::bicycle:

Top Bottom