iPad problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Argos, roughly 18 months ago (definietely well under 2 years), but I don't have the receipt and can't be arrissed to waste time on a fruitless argument.
Any luck?

If it is only 18 mths, I think Apple is your best hope. Apple without receipt will do these things for free as it is software.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive put the serial number through Apples websits, and they want either a recept, or £269 fixed fee. I only paid £300 in the first place.

Im annoyed, because aside from the expense it was a gift for Mini D for doing so well at school. My inclination was to go Android at a third the prive for a comparable spec, but Mrs D likes Apple stuff so she talked the into it. I think I'm going to try the place Biggs recommended.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ive put the serial number through Apples websits, and they want either a recept, or £269 fixed fee. I only paid £300 in the first place.

Im annoyed, because aside from the expense it was a gift for Mini D for doing so well at school. My inclination was to go Android at a third the prive for a comparable spec, but Mrs D likes Apple stuff so she talked the into it. I think I'm going to try the place Biggs recommended.

They seem good to me and a lot better than a so called official Apple place upon Heathfield ind est was who wanted £300 to replace a charging socket on works macbook when others charged me £70 , but each to there own .

Thats bad. Apple has this thing about protecting their IP so they go crazy putting in control over petty things including wires, adapter and software. Keep the iPad aside and wait for Covid to blow over and walk into the store when it is convenient. I am sure they will be more sensible.

Last edited:

mikeIow

Guru
Thats bad. Apple has this thing about protecting their IP so they go crazy putting in control over petty things including wires, adapter and software. Keep the iPad aside and wait for Covid to blow over and walk into the store when it is convenient. I am sure they will more sensible.
& Mini-D gets a detox from screens....that’ll be popular :cry:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
We ration her to 2 hours a day max, and not after 1800hrs, so she won't go cold turkey. To be fair, i was a bit less rigorous about enforcing that during the lockdown as it was the only means by which she could have any social interaction with her friends.

markemark

Über Member
Have you tried cleaning out the socket? If there’s dust in there in can stop a proper connection to a cable. It’s doesn’t need much connection to charge so sometimes this fault is masked until you need a data connection. There’s tools to do it but a paper clip if done carefully can do the job.

tamiya

Mini D's ipad has a problem. Its kind of locked into this screen...
I've Googled it, and the interweb suggests plugging it into a pooter so it can update. Mrs D has an Apple laptop and she plugged it in there,

Assuming there's been no physical hardware damage eg water ingress which has scrambled the motherboard...

Sometimes Restore screen can be triggered by user holding down home button whilst plugging in cable to charge. Usually that mode can be kicked out of by doing Force Reboot, if you don't have a computer running iTunes.

When you have available a PC with working iTunes, next step is to try entering DFU mode...
https://osxdaily.com/2010/12/04/ipad-dfu-mode/
Usually iTunes manages to clear out most brainfogged units under DFU sedation assuming no physical damage; it often needs to download several GBs to reload OS etc

Data on device may or may not survive. But hey if you've never bothered running iTunes to back device up before the brainfog then that's a vote that you didn't care about the data anyway, too late to come crying now.

tamiya

Have you tried cleaning out the socket? If there’s dust in there in can stop a proper connection to a cable. It’s doesn’t need much connection to charge so sometimes this fault is masked until you need a data connection. There’s tools to do it but a paper clip if done carefully can do the job.
DO NOT USE METALLIC IMPLEMENT to try clean Lightning port, there's live power available at the tiny pins always. You will short them out.

Use wooden/plastic toothpick or I like to cut cardboard into strips width of the Lightning tongue. Stack enough strips for snug thickness in the hole & there's your best ever scrubber tool.

Blow out dust with air puffer, don't spray liquids into port. If you must use Contact Cleaner spray, I spray that onto the cardboard scrubber.

Top Bottom