ipad release delayed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twowheelsgood

I can barely contain my indifference.

I would have bought an OS/X netbook at that price, but not this. It fails the "useful" test because although no doubt in circumstances it may do things more conveniently, it's an additional gadget rather than a practical replacement for my needs. I also cannot stand the level of control Apple inflict on my ipod touch, I'm assuming this isn't going to be any better. In fact as the virtual on screen buttons are not really very good for an in pocket media player, it's already been replaced by a cheapo Sansa, which even sounds better.

I paid £160 for my Aspire One which seems to manage to include 3 usb ports, 2 memory card readers, a keyboard and 120GB or storage. Oh and the keyboard doubles as a handy built in stand rather than an extra!

Still, if it were someome else paying....

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Och, he needs something to surf the web with when he goes down south (which is often) and doesn't have acesss to a computer and doesn't need all the gubbins so its a good fit I think.

I agree, it's not for everyone and it probably will be a bit overpriced but he's only ever used macs (20 years+) so I think it's worth it.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Mark_Robson said:
Have you read about the connectivity issues that users are experiencing?

Aye man but I think that's because those users are using dual frequency routers which wouldn't be a problem for him as he'd be using something like Mi-fi. And there's always people who can't make stuff work everywhere. Reckon if there is a serious-ish problem it can be solved with a firmware upgrade. (Well I hope anyway :-))

OP
OP
M

Melvil

gaz said:
Very disappointed, we are getting some at work and now it's delayed :biggrin:

I think that one of the best uses for the ipad will be for companies to buy a wodge of them for meetings/briefings so that people can come in and just pick up an ipad from a pile of them on a table and they will have been pre-loaded with whatever presentation/brief that the meetings about. It's a great thing.

johnnyh

Veteran
It falls down in so many ways that it is of no interest to me at all.
Maybe version 2 will have multi-tasking and cameras and a slide out keyboard to make it useful...

Next gen screen and USB ports too

twowheelsgood

Johnnyh, you won’t get the product you want. The problem is Apple's whole philosophy really. Which centres around a) platform control :biggrin: deliberate obsolescence both of which explain the crippled connectivity.

Really, that amount of money for 8G of storage? It would have been the easiest thing in the world to include a recessed card slot, but instead you need an ugly wart at extra cost that immediately detracts from the products one, real advantage – the form factor. But really you do want to spend 5 times as much as generic flash and get the bigger model anyway, don’t you? And why in the 3G model a type of simm card that NOBODY yet uses? (what lovely new contracts for Apple’s exclusive providers? Surely not?). They aren’t exactly short of physical space; that’s just being obtuse. No USB, why? Crippled Bluetooth, why?

I stopped buying Sony because of their proprietary formats (memory stick, ATRAC, minidisc, etc.) and they seem to be learning because the latest phones and cameras use bog-standard SDHC, I hold no such hopes for Apple.

Ironic if you remember the “1984” themed Apple Mac adverts setting yourselves free from “Big Brother” (by implication at the time Microsoft). Really as much as we love to hate MS, they are saints compared to the polo-necked control-freaks at Apple.

I have a G4, 2 ipods and an ipod touch, but that’s it from me.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Before you all rush off and order one you might like to know that a Berlin firm will be releasing its own version in the next two weeks called the WePad. It has two USB ports and I believe the screen is a bit bigger. It is Linux and Android based (which will probably mean something to you lot but means nothing to me) and because it can take a keyboard and cope with Office documents, I'm thinking of getting one because it will meet all my computing needs. Oh and it will be cheaper than the ipad with the dearer version coming in at 569 Euros.

U

User169

Andy in Sig said:
Before you all rush off and order one you might like to know that a Berlin firm will be releasing its own version in the next two weeks called the WePad. It has two USB ports and I believe the screen is a bit bigger. It is Linux and Android based (which will probably mean something to you lot but means nothing to me) and because it can take a keyboard and cope with Office documents, I'm thinking of getting one because it will meet all my computing needs. Oh and it will be cheaper than the ipad with the dearer version coming in at 569 Euros.

The "WePad"!? Sounds like an incontinence device.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
My thoughts too. You've gotta love these continentals.

Nonetheless the spec makes interesting (perhaps even comprehensible to some?) reading. They've got one site in English.

Something I cannot understand, but when the iPad battery wears down and needs replacing, Apple intend to replace the whole unit...

But what happens to your apps and data, or are they supposed to 'stay in the cloud' ?
(Note to self: Stop listening to management terms.)

Top Bottom