iPad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doseone

Guru
I've ordered the case, dock and stylus to go with it, all funded by an unexpected council tax rebate! :smile:

Nice one, what a great way to spend your rebate. If you went for the official Samsung case it's great. You'll have many happy hours playing working with your tab^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, it is the £23-ish slimline Samsung case, not one of those chunky leather ones!

I'm sure that there will be a lot of playing on the Tab, but I also want to use it when I'm watching TV to be able to quickly look things up online.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that either somebody comes up with Silverlight for Android, or that Eurosport release an Android Player so I can watch the Eurosport cycling coverage on the Tab.

I want to have a go at writing some Android apps and am hoping this will encourage me to get stuck in.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Yes, it is the £23-ish slimline Samsung case, not one of those chunky leather ones!

I'm sure that there will be a lot of playing on the Tab, but I also want to use it when I'm watching TV to be able to quickly look things up online.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that either somebody comes up with Silverlight for Android, or that Eurosport release an Android Player so I can watch the Eurosport cycling coverage on the Tab.

I want to have a go at writing some Android apps and am hoping this will encourage me to get stuck in.

I keep hearing rumours that microsoft are dumping silverlight in windows 8 but I don't know how true that is. Looking at windows 8 and that metro interface I am glad I have windows 7. I am sure it will look ok on phones and tablets but I don't want it on my desktop.

ColinJ

Nice one, what a great way to spend your rebate. If you went for the official Samsung case it's great. You'll have many happy hours playing working with your tab^_^
I am getting a great deal of use out of the Tab. In fact, I am using it now to post this. It is so handy to be able to bring the Tab to life and be online in less than 5 seconds. I keep it by my side when watching TV so I can search for information on subjects mentioned in documentaries etc. I find that the Tab loses less than 1% of its charge per hour when left in standby in 'flight mode' with all interfaces off. I am getting at least a full day's actual use on one charge so even when I use it a lot, I'd only have to charge it every second day. I am impressed.

I have installed the Opera Mobile browser and greatly prefer that to the stock browser and Dolphin HD.

Google Streetview works stupendously well - way faster than the standard web version!

One thing had been bugging me a lot - the 'back' function was not working properly on Google searches. For example - search for info on GPS, visit Wikipedia page and then click back. Instead of taking me back to the search results, I always ended up with a new search page and had to do the search again. I have just discovered a fix for it - go into the Google search preferences and disable 'Instant'. You lose the feature where Google guesses what you are searching for, but I found that the list of guesses was always obscured by the onscreen keyboard anyway, so that is no great loss.

ColinJ

Are the Google cycle maps showing up yet?

They are now on PC but seem limited to some Sustrans routes
I can't see them on the app but I can always use the web version instead for that. I work out my own routes anyway, so I'm not bothered.

What I would love is to be able to download an Android version of Memory Map that lets me use my PC licence ...

I just investigated - there is an Android MM app but they charge £12.50 for the right to use the map data on a second device. That is really annoying, but I might go for it anyway since I like having the whole of mainland UK in one big Landranger map! It would be very handy when travelling to be able to use the Android MM with the built-in GPS since my Tab is Wifi only and I don't have a phone I can tether it to (yet!).

Doseone

Guru
I am getting a great deal of use out of the Tab. In fact, I am using it now to post this. It is so handy to be able to bring the Tab to life and be online in less than 5 seconds. I keep it by my side when watching TV so I can search for information on subjects mentioned in documentaries etc. I find that the Tab loses less than 1% of its charge per hour when left in standby in 'flight mode' with all interfaces off. I am getting at least a full day's actual use on one charge so even when I use it a lot, I'd only have to charge it every second day. I am impressed.

I have installed the Opera Mobile browser and greatly prefer that to the stock browser and Dolphin HD.

Google Streetview works stupendously well - way faster than the standard web version!

One thing had been bugging me a lot - the 'back' function was not working properly on Google searches. For example - search for info on GPS, visit Wikipedia page and then click back. Instead of taking me back to the search results, I always ended up with a new search page and had to do the search again. I have just discovered a fix for it - go into the Google search preferences and disable 'Instant'. You lose the feature where Google guesses what you are searching for, but I found that the list of guesses was always obscured by the onscreen keyboard anyway, so that is no great loss.

I use mine for pretty much the same - use it loads for work, loads at home, the odd game of chess when I get time. I love having it close to hand for looking stuff up. Great for downloading the TdeF podcast (podkicker app).

I'm interested that you use it for posting on here though, particularly long posts as that's the one thing I find it a bit clunky for (I'm typing this on the lappy). Do you use Tapatalk or similar, and which keyboard do you use? One of the things I find most difficult is having to place the cursor by tapping the appropriate place on the screen - dunno if it's my fat fingers but I find that a bit hit and miss. I also find there is a quite a lag with the typing, but it only seems to be when posting on here. Do you get that or has Opera sorted that out?

Also interested that you have changed browser, I may give that a go, but will probably wait and see what Ice Cream Sandwich brings, which is due sometime between now and end of August for the 8.9.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I went mac 3 years ago now on ipad3,iPhone 4 and mac book pro ,I donated my first iPad to one of my lads,the trio suit my needs they communicate with each other,some problems ie no flash on pad but apps are great for traveling ,I was always suspicious of mac but once tried I never turned back,great looking kit great build quality and support is spot on

phil_hg_uk

I went mac 3 years ago now on ipad3,iPhone 4 and mac book pro ,I donated my first iPad to one of my lads,the trio suit my needs they communicate with each other,some problems ie no flash on pad but apps are great for traveling ,I was always suspicious of mac but once tried I never turned back,great looking kit great build quality and support is spot on

Shame about the rediculous price and lack of flexibility compared with the alternatives and the same goes for the phones

Berties

Fast and careful!
Shame about the rediculous price and lack of flexibility compared with the alternatives and the same goes for the phones

I don't knock any ones choices as mac is my choice,and cost is a issue,for me it just suits,sling a iPad in your back pack and I can work and play my way all day,yes it's shiny ,and was loooking at the Samsung galaxy at a trade wagon but it has not got the apple ..... Well if you are a fan of apple you'd know
Same with some bikes, may be style over substance but I still apple has got a level playing field

phil_hg_uk

I don't knock any ones choices as mac is my choice,and cost is a issue,for me it just suits,sling a iPad in your back pack and I can work and play my way all day,yes it's shiny ,and was loooking at the Samsung galaxy at a trade wagon but it has not got the apple ..... Well if you are a fan of apple you'd know
Same with some bikes, may be style over substance but I still apple has got a level playing field

Fair enough as you say it is your choice, but as I work in the IT industry and spend a lot of my time answering computer questions people ask me I can't help but point out that the shinney outer skin people go on about is just a few quids worth of plastic and does not justify the price.

I prefer to concentrate on what is inside and when you do that you realise that there is not much difference between their products and others costing a lot less, also now that they have made their latest products unfixable and removed the green certification from all their products I can't see how the price can be justified.

Sent from my portable telephone

Top Bottom