iPad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

I just tried Proxy Settings App by Lechuck Captain from Play/Market on my Samsung Tablet and once you run it if you then go into the wifi settings and LONG PRESS on the currently connected wifi connection it gives you access to the proxy settings for that connection. Dont know if the settings work as I dont use a proxy but might be worth a look.

Depends on the firmware version you are running, but chances are it won't work, although it will let you change some settings those settings won't be called by the phone, and so it won't actually connect. I've even seem some proxy apps screw up the ability to connect to the web (though not the Internet as a whole) by being installed without rooting the phone on pre-3.2 versions of Android, so be careful what you download!

col

Legendary Member
dont confuse the sim card with the memory card, most handsets these days use a micro sd memory card this is not what we are talking about. What phone have you got.
A Desire S android.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Bugger, never mind It has wifi so still an attractive home use tablet. Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

You might be able to get a wifi tablet to work through the phone, if you goto settings-> wireless & settings then enable portable wifi hotspot then connect your tablet to the wireless hotspot you just created, can be a bit hit and miss but worth a try.

col

Legendary Member
You might be able to get a wifi tablet to work through the phone, if you goto settings-> wireless & settings then enable portable wifi hotspot then connect your tablet to the wireless hotspot you just created, can be a bit hit and miss but worth a try.
I have a hotspot shortcut with a few others on the pulldown screen, its part of the major update it had a few weeks ago. Changed the homescreens too, very good I like it a lot. Only problem Iv had with it is it turns itself off the odd time?

phil_hg_uk

I have a hotspot shortcut with a few others on the pulldown screen, its part of the major update it had a few weeks ago. Changed the homescreens too, very good I like it a lot. Only problem Iv had with it is it turns itself off the odd time?

Well HTC have announced that we will be getting an upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich sometime in the next few months so see it that fixes the problem.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
But could I use the 3g from my phones card on the Ipad? I know the Ipad will have wifi, but the 3g allowance I get on my phone, could it be used on the Ipad?

Many smart phones will turn into a mobile wifi hotspot so no need to swap the sims - just enable and the ipad can connect.

fossyant

Bugger, never mind It has wifi so still an attractive home use tablet. Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

See my post above about sharing the connection.

phil_hg_uk

Doh.... missed that on catch up !!!

Although there seems to be a problem with 2.3.5 it seems google have made it possible for carriers to disable mobile tethering / portable hotspots as I notice on mine I can connect to the phone but from my tablet but it is not routing to the internet so I will have to have chat with my provider tomorrow. I assume they have done this to help promote these MiFi devices that have appeared after all who would buy one of those if you can just tether your tablet to your phone for free.

fossyant

Although there seems to be a problem with 2.3.5 it seems google have made it possible for carriers to disable mobile tethering / portable hotspots as I notice on mine I can connect to the phone but from my tablet but it is not routing to the internet so I will have to have chat with my provider tomorrow. I assume they have done this to help promote these MiFi devices that have appeared after all who would buy one of those if you can just tether your tablet to your phone for free.

I'm still 2.2.? on my Desire - can route my son's HTC Magic through it when we are away from home (I've turned off his data as he is only 11, can use data in the WiFi areas. The bug I've found is if you enable the hotspot, it will time out, but switches off the WiFi - so walking into home say, the wifi isn't on

That's a bit naughty though turning off the hotspot, but I know T-Mobile a few years back said your phone's data was 'unlimited' but this excluded any tethering or modem use for laptops - if you've got a data cap, ten I don't think the hotspot is unreasonable - I use less than a 5th of my 3G 500gb allocation.

We are often away in N. Wales, and the 3G out there is pants, certainly near the coast, so it's difficult even web browsing on a phone, never mind via a laptop connected to the phone.

phil_hg_uk

I'm still 2.2.? on my Desire - can route my son's HTC Magic through it when we are away from home (I've turned off his data as he is only 11, can use data in the WiFi areas. The bug I've found is if you enable the hotspot, it will time out, but switches off the WiFi - so walking into home say, the wifi isn't on

That's a bit naughty though turning off the hotspot, but I know T-Mobile a few years back said your phone's data was 'unlimited' but this excluded any tethering or modem use for laptops - if you've got a data cap, ten I don't think the hotspot is unreasonable - I use less than a 5th of my 3G 500gb allocation.

We are often away in N. Wales, and the 3G out there is pants, certainly near the coast, so it's difficult even web browsing on a phone, never mind via a laptop connected to the phone.

What I have found here is that if i enable the portable hotspot on my desire s it turns off the mobile data so although i can connect to the mobile hotspot with my tablet the data isnt routed anywhere. Once i disable the portable hotspot the mobile data comes back on, i have been googling this and it maybe down to tmobile disabling tethering but the sim only deal i have has unlimited internet on it so i will be popping into the tmobile shop tomorrow and just hope i can find someone who knows what they are talking about. ........... I wont be holding my breath

Top Bottom