Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I've bitten the bullet and committed to keeping the road bike dream alive.

Bike fitting booked for Tuesday at Hooked On Cycling in Bathgate.

Mon the revolution.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hi folks,

I'm finding that my riding position still feels a bit strange - I'm reaching too far (I think).

Anyway, has anyone had a bike fitting locally? (Have car, can travel^_^) I looked at Velocity 44 and notice a RETUL bike fit is £130 now, not sure if it's what I need.

Any suggestions?
I put a shorter stem on my Secteur which made it much more comfortable. Went from a 110mm to a 90mm and it made all the difference.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Although, just went out for a wee test and the left hood/break lever is a bit loose.

How do I tighten that? Looks like I'd need to take the rubber bit off.

If it's the same as the Shimano Tiagra; take one 5mm Allen key and insert it into the wee groove on the outboard side of the shifter. Pull the rubber to the side for easier access. You might have to do a bit of poking around to get the allen key into the bolt head. Photos speak more than a thousand words! .............

IMG_1907_zpsctkhiu5p.jpg

IMG_1908_zpsqdiavahl.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hullo fae Manchestuhh!
Got a bit of a wait now for the trailer swap, as it's coming from Heathrow.
M60 closure meant 4 hrs 27 mins driving time, compulsory 45 min break has to be taken before 4 hrs 30 mins!

Edit: Forgot how torturous night shift is. Southbound is fine, but left Manchester about 0130, had to stop for a half hours sleep at Tebay; a fuelling stop at The Golden Fleece (south Carlisle) and then another half hour sleep at Abington! Got back to Glasgow airport at 0730. Now home, had a full breakfast and heading to bed. :tired:

Last edited:

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
If it's the same as the Shimano Tiagra; take one 5mm Allen key and insert it into the wee groove on the outboard side of the shifter. Pull the rubber to the side for easier access. You might have to do a bit of poking around to get the allen key into the bolt head. Photos speak more than a thousand words! .............

IMG_1907_zpsctkhiu5p.jpg

IMG_1908_zpsqdiavahl.jpg

I'll try that in the morning, cheers mate.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Winner winner chicken dinner!!

I actually managed to fix something on my bike :wahhey:

image.jpg

For reference, this is where the bit to tighten is on a 105 gear shifter - the back.

It was really loose - no idea how it got that loose!!

Anyway, one small step ...

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Got a fitting today and it has been a al eye opener!

The guy took all sorts of measurements (I was impressed by this for some reason!) then made adjustments to the seat (put it forward I think, down, and changed the angle slightly). It made a massive difference and got me more over the handlebars and pushing down with my feet flatter rather than my toe down. Might eventually need a longer stem and there was me saying I needed even shorter!

He also stripped the bar tape off and adjusted the angle of the gear adjustersand brought them in a bit. This also made a difference to the angle of my back/arms etc. He also adjusted my cleats as I'd just whacked them on randomly.

When in the hoods I can now actually look right up to the sky (although not a good idea as I might drive into something!) I couldn't do this before because of the angle I was sitting at.

Total cost £50 for 1 1/2 hours of fitting. Coffee was free.

It was Hooked On Cycling in Bathgate. Even though it is 20 miles away it is my new LBS - great service and felt very comfortable. Which is a first!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Trying to decide for Sunday. Do I take the Merida and probably walk up Cairn o' Mount, or take the Dawes with the silly low gears and lug it round the rest of the 200?

Any advice from the panel?

ShooglyDougie

Veteran
Any advice from the panel?

Take the Merida, my sister lives on the other side near Banchory and having driven the road a few times I think most things struggle, (my old wee polo did). Its a lovely road and one I hope to cycle myself at one point. Hope you have a good ride on Sunday :okay:

Top Bottom