Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Col5632

Guru
My one gripe with pfs is the bus cost

Brandane

Legendary Member
How's everyone doing?

I've been asked to do pedal for scotland by a mate so might actually try and get back on the bike and get training for that.

I've changed jobs more times than I can count, currently driving trucks to planes and loading them with food trolleys.
Doing fine but not doing enough miles on the bike(s) this year. Mojo has well and truly nose-dived recently. Maybe something to do with a more physical job resulting in me crumpling into a heap when I get home :ohmy:. Last thing I want to do is jump on a bike.

Sorry to hear you didn't get through your Polis interview, but IMHO - a blessing in disguise. Good pension deal is gone, housing allowance gone, and coupled with that it's a much more stressful job than it used to be - and it was stressful before! Truck driving though??? There's some decent driving jobs out there, somewhere, but an awful lot of dross too. I take it you work at Edinburgh airport rather than Glasgow? Alpha catering? I used to drive for Saints, the air freight mob based at Heathrow but have a depot at Glasgow next door to one of the Alpha places (but I think Alpha were moving out of there, last I heard).

As for PFS, they are having a laugh with the charges these days, and a £3.20 "processing fee"? As a matter of principle they can go and do one. £52.20 to ride 45 miles on public roads then a bus ride back to Glasgow? Errm, no thanks...

Brandane

Legendary Member
Maybe because @Brandane isn't cycling. Lol.
You can thank me later :laugh:.
Actually, I have still been cycling, just not as much, and the last month even less so. I got fed up with one or two people getting too competitive on Strava, so now all my rides are on the private setting.
Planning to get out today for a decent ride, so maybe that will kick-start the mojo.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
You can thank me later :laugh:.
Actually, I have still been cycling, just not as much, and the last month even less so. I got fed up with one or two people getting too competitive on Strava, so now all my rides are on the private setting.
Planning to get out today for a decent ride, so maybe that will kick-start the mojo.
Sadly, I'm no longer remotely competitive on Strava these days. Old age, carrying too much weight, back and leg nerve problems have all conspired to slow me down. Still reasonably enjoying it though, but not quite as far these days.

Hope your mojo returns.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sadly, I'm no longer remotely competitive on Strava these days. Old age, carrying too much weight, back and leg nerve problems have all conspired to slow me down. Still reasonably enjoying it though, but not quite as far these days.

Hope your mojo returns.
Hope you recover from your health problems soon, Mo. Even with them, I'm sure you could still go a lot further and faster than me!

Col5632

Guru
Doing fine but not doing enough miles on the bike(s) this year. Mojo has well and truly nose-dived recently. Maybe something to do with a more physical job resulting in me crumpling into a heap when I get home :ohmy:. Last thing I want to do is jump on a bike.

Sorry to hear you didn't get through your Polis interview, but IMHO - a blessing in disguise. Good pension deal is gone, housing allowance gone, and coupled with that it's a much more stressful job than it used to be - and it was stressful before! Truck driving though??? There's some decent driving jobs out there, somewhere, but an awful lot of dross too. I take it you work at Edinburgh airport rather than Glasgow? Alpha catering? I used to drive for Saints, the air freight mob based at Heathrow but have a depot at Glasgow next door to one of the Alpha places (but I think Alpha were moving out of there, last I heard).

As for PFS, they are having a laugh with the charges these days, and a £3.20 "processing fee"? As a matter of principle they can go and do one. £52.20 to ride 45 miles on public roads then a bus ride back to Glasgow? Errm, no thanks...

I think I'm the same, since I got a more physical job with more travelling involved I've stopped cycling altogether. Just back from 16 hard miles, don't like to make things easy for myself.

I'm based at the gyle but we drive to the airport, company is called newrest and they are at Glasgow airport too. Alpha, skychef and gate gorment are all at the airport too. I must admit I was sucked in by a job ad on indeed which turned out to be a course and not a job but once I learned more about the course decided to give it a bash. Worked in furniture removal for 3 weeks, driving all over the country including London but it was the hardest most physical job I've ever had and all for 8.01 an hour. My friend wants me to do pfs so for him and to motivate myself I might do it one last time

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hope your mojo returns
Well I had a good crack at it today. Currently on the train from Dumfries, having ridden there from Largs (95 miles). It was a struggle, I have to admit. And not a particularly nice route as it involved 3 sections on the very fast/busy A76; not my idea of fun! But surprisingly I dodged all the showers.

Last edited:

Col5632

Guru
Well I had a good crack at it today. Currently on the train from Dumfries, having ridden there from Largs (95 miles). It was a struggle, I have to admit. And not a particularly nice route as it involved 3 sections on the very fast/busy A76; not my idea of fun! But surprisingly I dodged all the showers.

I need to do crazy things like that more often. I have been thinking about cycling to my work at the gyle but I would need to leave at 1.30am to be there for 3am.

Top Bottom