Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe because @Brandane isn't cycling. Lol.
With only one exception every time I've been out recently it has started raining just moments after I leave the house - I've taken over his duties as rain doctor :rolleyes:
Sadly, I'm no longer remotely competitive on Strava these days
If you enjoy it that's all that matters - let the racing snakes have their competitions.
Last weekend had a flyby encounter with someone who rode across the European Championships course and it's frightening how far the Strava-using pros travelled in the time it took me to get to Troon and back :surrender:

bruce1530

Guru
Well I had a good crack at it today. Currently on the train from Dumfries, having ridden there from Largs (95 miles). It was a struggle, I have to admit. And not a particularly nice route as it involved 3 sections on the very fast/busy A76; not my idea of fun! But surprisingly I dodged all the showers.

What route did you take?

I ended up (slightly unexpectedly!) on the A76 for about a mile today just south of Kilmarnock - that was far enough!

Brandane

Legendary Member
What route did you take?

I ended up (slightly unexpectedly!) on the A76 for about a mile today just south of Kilmarnock - that was far enough!
It was a route I had pre-planned using RideWithGPS. This link should show the route, but basically I was on the A76 between Mauchline and Auchinleck, then again from south of Cumnock to New Cumnock, and east of New Cumnock to Kirkconnel. The last section was ok thanks to roadworks which meant the traffic was coming in waves as they got through the traffic lights - so I pulled into the side of the road to let them passed and then had 5 or 10 minutes with nothing behind me.

Night riding is the best, I love how quiet and calm everything is. I never sing out loud as I would scare the local wild life away, stopping to watch the bats is fantastic.
I've often ridden home in the early hours, lovely if the weather is kind, of course.
It's weird, until I did the Carlisle to Newcastle overnight organised by @mcshroom I hated riding at night. I did it when necessary but could never enjoy it. Now it doesn't faze me at all.

The thing I miss the most about living in the Carse was being able to stop in the countryside on a clear night and look up at millions of stars. Singing Toto at the top of my voice at 3am on the back roads above the A90 was pretty good too, but doesn't have the same effect in Glasgow :crazy:

Riding with a headtorch is amazing/terrifying, so many eyes watching you from shadows.
I'll never forget the time I was riding through a forest in Provence, heard frenzied rustling before a wild boar (sow?) burst forth from undergrowth and ran off with her piglets squealing behind her (it wasn't my singing that prompted them, honest). That's not the kind of experience you can get riding in the day...

Top Bottom