Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yeah exactly, just one of the amazing parts of this job.

I've done a bit of night riding before but never to work and not after 12 hour shifts
You'll be riding to work after a twelve hour shift!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Any lingering thoughts I had of doing the "Round Strathaven 50" this year have now been put to bed!

Screenshot (12).png

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
The thing I miss the most about living in the Carse was being able to stop in the countryside on a clear night and look up at millions of stars. Singing Toto at the top of my voice at 3am on the back roads above the A90 was pretty good too, but doesn't have the same effect in Glasgow :crazy:.
I spent three days pottering about those roads last year, next time I'll avoid tattie lifting season as some roads were coated in soft mud and it was interesting.
Nice area between there and the Carse, a good area for heading out to various places.
Only next time, I'll head up by Liff instead of casually riding up the Gourdie Braes..
I've been up and down that way many times in a car but a bike is MUCH different esp at 5pm:laugh:
I spent more time riding around the roads bordering the A94, I could never escape a headwind for some reason.

I'll head up by Liff instead of casually riding up the Gourdie Braes..
I've been up and down that way many times in a car but a bike is MUCH different esp at 5pm:laugh:

Some excellent climbs in the Sidlaws, particularly at night. The "mixed surfaces" (to borrow a euphemism from the European Championships road coverage) make for interesting descents.

I spent more time riding around the roads bordering the A94, I could never escape a headwind for some reason.
Ah yes, the omnidirectional Forfar headwind, I know it well. I reckon the surrounding hills act like a chimney. At least on the Carse it's only ever blowing a monster hoolie in one direction...

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Some excellent climbs in the Sidlaws, particularly at night. The "mixed surfaces" (to borrow a euphemism from the European Championships road coverage) make for interesting descents.

Ah yes, the omnidirectional Forfar headwind, I know it well. I reckon the surrounding hills act like a chimney. At least on the Carse it's only ever blowing a monster hoolie in one direction...
I always made sure I headed down 'The Braes', excellent roads, enjoyable. I'll return soon.

One day I made my way to Wolfhill as almost 40 years of passing the sign for it, I was disappointed, no real hill or wolves:laugh:
Kinpurnie Tower was a beacon to where I'd left and was to return to (Newtyle) and finally made it there twice in the last nine months, by foot.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Any lingering thoughts I had of doing the "Round Strathaven 50" this year have now been put to bed!

View attachment 424638
Oh well.....!!!!!!!! Thanks BBC; I needed to get a few jobs done on the ageing car anyway. I didn't really want to go on a 50 mile bike ride in the warm Sunday sunshine, and eat some excellent cake and sandwiches which are always supplied at feed stations on this ride. No, I didn't want to do that today at all :cry:.
To those who DID do it (@bruce1530 ); you can thank my failure to register before Thursday's deadline for the complete swing in the weather compared to that forecast :rolleyes:.

bruce1530

Guru
It was good. First time I’ve done the Straven 50 - and the first time I’ve done a ride with as many participants.

The forecast looked a bit rubbish all week - 80-% chance of rain, then 60, then 40.

Arrived at Strathaven just after 9, drizzle. Most people were wearing waterproofs. Lots of long sleeves and leggings.

Set off at 10 - it was damp - but it was more low cloud than rain.

By the time we got to Loudon Hill (about 10 miles), the rain jacket was feeling a bit “boil in the bag”, so it came off. And it stayed dry for the rest of the trip! Roads were wet for the first couple of hours, and muddy, so a little slippy.

And I was talking to one chap on the way round - he said he’d registered on the morning!

Slick

Guru
Got a bit of the lurgy so not been on the bike for a while now and it's starting to annoy me. Newly winterised steed with 2 new Durano + tyres and new set of mudguards all lubed up and ready to go but just can't summon the strength.

Glasgow shuts on Sunday so I may take Mrs Slick in if I can convince her to cycle in and not take the train. Always good to get the freedom of the city with like minded individuals.

Top Bottom