Ironman in 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Anyone else signed up for an Ironman event for 2016?

I'm starting to panic that I havent settled on a training approach or plan...

screenman

Legendary Member
Anyone else signed up for an Ironman event for 2016?

I'm starting to panic that I havent settled on a training approach or plan...

You best get a plan soon or it is going to hurt worse than it will do anyway.

Have fun and I wish you all the best, I take it that you swim well already.

LocalLad

Good luck. Having done my first sprint this year, I have a new found respect for anyone who goes for the ironman.

I'm hoping to step up to Olympic next year, but even that will require some life changes to get the training in.

Depending on when in 2016 your race is, I'd have thought you'd be best off base building at the moment..concentrating on swimming technique and general fitness

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I have not signed up for one this year but did my first IM last year. Its an amazing experience.

I used this plan:
http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/files/2012/06/Super-Simple-Ironman-Training-Plan.pdf

I wasn't quick but it got me through. Which race are you signed up for?

Well done!

I'll check out that plan later. So much conflicting advice out there it's hard to tell what to do but I'm gaining confidence.

I'm on for 70.3 at Staffs and full at Bolton, so yeah a podium isn't likely...Id just like to be MOP rather than BOP.

screenman

Legendary Member
Well done!

I'll check out that plan later. So much conflicting advice out there it's hard to tell what to do but I'm gaining confidence.

I'm on for 70.3 at Staffs and full at Bolton, so yeah a podium isn't likely...Id just like to be MOP rather than BOP.

How is the swimming going?

screenman

Legendary Member

I must admit after 2 years and 5 miles a week in the pool I am still a cyclist and doubt I will ever be a swimmer.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I like swimming. If, like cycling and running, I could open the front door and start swimming I'd do it as frequently.

So I have built a plan, and I might as well share it here.

I have split the time remaining to IMUK into four week blocks, every fourth week is a recovery week.

There are seven training blocks left.

The high level focus is:
B9 Run/Bike (light)
B8 Bike (volume)
B7 Bike (volume) --current block
B6 Run
B5 Swim
B4 Swim
B3 All (3 sessions/sport )
B2 All
B1 All

The January weekly plan is:

Mon Bike 2x50km spinning
Tue Run ~5k easy am 10km tempo pm
Wed Bike 2x50km
Thu Run ~5km speed/intervals
Fri Bike 2x50km hard
Sat Rest
Sunday Long run on or off road increasing 2km each week

Planning on a big ride to Hastings to finish off the block and celebrate ;)

Next block I bring in a bit of swimming, drop down the bike volume and focus on a half marathon in Feb.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
How're you getting on?

I'm Panicking Mr Mannering!

It's kind of going ok, the half marathon was a touch slower than I wanted.

My main concern is whether my plan will be effective. I've only got 19 weeks left. I'm a few kilos heavier then planned, but could lose another 6 or 7 kilos over this period.

Short of paying a coach to tell me I'm going to be fine, I think it's going to be a continual mental struggle to keep going both in training and at the event.

March plan is:

Mon Bike 2x50km
Tue Run speedwork
Wed Bike 2x50km
Thu Run tempo run (10-15km)
Fri Bike 2x50km add a 5km brick run
Sat Swim Tempo
Sunday Long run 13-21km, Swim Technical

It's tough though as I can't do all these, sessions are being swapped and missed. I'm hiding behind the idea that my focussed training doesn't start for seven weeks and that ~15hrs training of any sort will benefit this novice.

Oh, and thanks for asking :smile:

fimm

Veteran
What's your longest bike ride going to be? My understanding is that (for a "get round" plan, at least) you want to focus on bike volume. I think my longest run pre-ironman was about 13 miles: I'd never run a stand-alone marathon when I set off on the IM run leg.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
What's your longest bike ride going to be? My understanding is that (for a "get round" plan, at least) you want to focus on bike volume. I think my longest run pre-ironman was about 13 miles: I'd never run a stand-alone marathon when I set off on the IM run leg.
Received wisdom is to do century ride at some point.

Half-marathons aren't a problem - just over 2hs, but the idea of a five hour marathon after nine or ten swimming and riding is daunting. One plan would have me building up very long brick sessions, but I'm unconvinced of the fitness benefits with that.

How did you do on the day?

jay clock

Massive member
@fimm is talking sense. I am a solid and slow back of pack triathlete and have done 3 IMs and about 7 or 8 halves

in no particular order
  • cycling do one long ride a week peaking at 6 or so hours maybe 7.
  • once in a while run a few k off the bike. or every ride do 10 mins run
  • If you are a decent swimmer just swim as usual
  • If you aren't then get in open water and build up over may to race day so you can do 3.8k and still walk
  • running I did max 27k in training... I have never done a standalone marathon
  • practise walk run. In training I did 7 or 8 mins run then a minute walk. Race day started at 4-1 and drifted to 2-1 or 1-1 or 0-1! Best IM run was 5:21 and worst 5:44.
  • Practise eating on bike and run and work out what suits
  • My training plan was to build up over 3 weeks then week 4 have an easy week
  • Have a rest day each week
  • Do a mini race simulation a few weeks out. Swim say 2.5k, bike say 120k and go for a 15k run. Change and refuel each time
  • I also try and do a half IM 6-8 weeks out. Last
  • Get mentally prepared for what your goals are and don;t beat yourself up if you aimed for say 12 hrs and you did 12:01. My second one was 40 degrees and 25% pulled out on the bike, so just getting round was a result.
The essence is get to the point where you can do the swim ok, then cycle for 5-7 hrs and when you get off at least feel like you can walk the run. Then be pleasantly surprised if you are any better than that!

Happy to answer specifics

Top Bottom