Ironman in 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
@jay clock has more experience than I do. I'd particularly second his comments on practising run/walk strategies and eating & drinking on the bike and run (I did a race simulation where I ate far too much on the bike and got awful stomach cramps so that I couldn't run - better to do that in training than on the big day!)

My IM was Austria, which is known as a fast/easy course, and we were very fortunate to have warm but not very hot weather the year I did it.
I came in in 13:27 (I think) as 1h20 - 25ish swim, 7h (+ a minute or two) bike, 4h30ish marathon. 30 minutes for transitions sounds a lot but it was a long way from the water to the bike and I took my time in T2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm joining a webinar on Walk/ Run next week. I've submitted a few questions to them as well

http://team.oxygenaddict.com/runwebinar/

@fimm
That's a good time!
I try not to set expectations, as I'm not going to win, so it's just a case of doing my absolute best*, minimising the agony and crossing the finish line.

*This is hard to define!

Gert Lush

I'm Panicking Mr Mannering!

It's kind of going ok, the half marathon was a touch slower than I wanted.

My main concern is whether my plan will be effective. I've only got 19 weeks left. I'm a few kilos heavier then planned, but could lose another 6 or 7 kilos over this period.

Short of paying a coach to tell me I'm going to be fine, I think it's going to be a continual mental struggle to keep going both in training and at the event.

March plan is:

Mon Bike 2x50km
Tue Run speedwork
Wed Bike 2x50km
Thu Run tempo run (10-15km)
Fri Bike 2x50km add a 5km brick run
Sat Swim Tempo
Sunday Long run 13-21km, Swim Technical

It's tough though as I can't do all these, sessions are being swapped and missed. I'm hiding behind the idea that my focussed training doesn't start for seven weeks and that ~15hrs training of any sort will benefit this novice.

Oh, and thanks for asking :smile:

At least you have a plan :smile: Will you be increasing the swimming amount before the race?

I wouldn't worry about the weight tbh, that'll go before race day I imagine.

There seems to be a lot of information in this thread and it seems like there is people to ask if you have any questions.

Good luck with it :smile:

Ian A

Über Member
My training for my one and only IM turned into a shambles mainly due to family health problems at home. I got round but it wasn't pretty. No point me giving training advice out but I agree with the above about getting a good amount of cycle training in. Trust in your training (which you are actually doing), don't build up the volume too quickly and enjoy it on the day ^_^. If you enjoy it and fancy another then sign up for IM Wales the next year for the Tenby experience.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
My training for my one and only IM turned into a shambles mainly due to family health problems at home. I got round but it wasn't pretty. No point me giving training advice out but I agree with the above about getting a good amount of cycle training in. Trust in your training (which you are actually doing), don't build up the volume too quickly and enjoy it on the day ^_^. If you enjoy it and fancy another then sign up for IM Wales the next year for the Tenby experience.

I'd love to do Tenby one day, I used to stay with the monks on the island there many years ago.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Update!

Two weeks until Ironman 70.3 Staffordshire - Uhoh.
Ironman 70.3 Staffordshire

Did a local event this morning, OLT Sprint Triathlon at Leybourne Lakes. Three years ago I did my first Tri, Hever Sprint - it took 2:01:07. I was sixth from last. Today took me 1hr 17. :becool:

For anyone thinking about giving it a go - The training works. Be patient. Even if you're a wine and cheese tubster like me, you can do it.

In April, 70.3hrs , 59790 calories, 46 workouts, 819 miles.

I'd love to get some charity donations for Scope and Bloodwise if you're impressed. Linky

Last edited:

Stephenite

Membå
Blummin 'eck! That is a very good time. Was it the same distance? Even better is the improvement. Which means you've put the work in. Well done.

I'd def like to give it a go. I'm building up slowly :P I'm selling my size Large wetsuit to make funds for a size XLarge. Such is my love of the wine and cheese. (Actually, i've lost a bit of weight by reducing sugar intake.) I've signed up for a sprint tri in August but finding it very difficult to get any training in. The running and cycling i'm not too bothered about - I can find the odd session within the week to stretch the legs, and build up the speed. The swimming is hard for me. I need to put the hours in but struggle to find the time. I have to take care of my two beautiful children aged one and five. They are fantastic. They are brilliant. But they knacker me out. And after about fifteen seconds they become not very good at poolside cheerleaders. They want in. They want wet.

I'm rooting for you @Tin Pot . A little donation going your way because i am impressed.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Blummin 'eck! That is a very good time. Was it the same distance? Even better is the improvement. Which means you've put the work in. Well done.

I'd def like to give it a go. I'm building up slowly :P I'm selling my size Large wetsuit to make funds for a size XLarge. Such is my love of the wine and cheese. (Actually, i've lost a bit of weight by reducing sugar intake.) I've signed up for a sprint tri in August but finding it very difficult to get any training in. The running and cycling i'm not too bothered about - I can find the odd session within the week to stretch the legs, and build up the speed. The swimming is hard for me. I need to put the hours in but struggle to find the time. I have to take care of my two beautiful children aged one and five. They are fantastic. They are brilliant. But they knacker me out. And after about fifteen seconds they become not very good at poolside cheerleaders. They want in. They want wet.

I'm rooting for you @Tin Pot . A little donation going your way because i am impressed.

Fantastic! Thanks very much!

It really is just about getting out even if it's an hour, half an hour every day. I'm a big believer in z2 for people like us, builds endurance and minimises injury risk. 30 min run before your shower in the morning, 45 min ride in the evening, that's what got me going.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
@Tin Pot there's no update - apart from the avatar. Tell us, tell us...

I'm sorry I'm flat out and I haven't updated any of my sponsors.

As @jay clock said (and thank you for posting)
I managed to get around. I've done a few sprints and a couple of Olympics, this was the only triathlon I've enjoyed start to finish...basically because the whole time I was in euphoria that I was really and finally there and racing.

Lining up at the 32:30 marker for the swim was nervy, felt like just a few people between me and the pros and thousands behind. I really appreciated the ACDC Thunderstruck firing me up. the rolling start went well, none of the usual "swim biff" I've had before, the water pretty clear and warm, sighting was a bit tricky but just followed some feet. Lost a bit of time clearing goggles and was a bit afraid to push it - hence the 00:33:55 time.

Out of the water and trotting for a few minutes to T1. I had wondered why T1 was so lengthy in the previous year's results, and now knew why. Once there you grab you bag and get changed on some seats, dump the bag full of wetsuit gear and run to the bike. My bike had been moved overnight which made locating it a little awkward, but then out through some mud onto a path where my Mrs filmed me fumbling into the bike.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
The bike section was very flat, but the first half hour or so has some tight poor surface country lanes. I started a bit faster than perhaps I should and nearly wiped myself out on a few turns running wide right into the gutter. Not much to report in the ride except that it was a long time in the saddle, and that my training in aero got me through...ooh, the first twenty minutes? Hah. Achey from then but kept going.

Collecting water bottles and food was a comedy of errors and I must've launched four or five bottles and bars twenty feet in the air over the course. Meant I didn't eat until the last aid station but I did get enough fluids. Lesson learned: bring your own food taped to the bike. (As so many do).

A torrential down pour two hours in kind of slowed things up as Incouldnt see a thing. Lesson 2: put water repellant on sunglasses.

The route is very rural and I was well pleased to see people all through the course even if it was just one guy at a farm gate, clapping me on.

Not having GPS and there being no markers I felt a bit aimless after a two hours or so, eventually asked another rider how far we were in. Finished up about 45 mins later, and I'd gone from 39th in my age group to ~72nd I think.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
T2 was another long run, this time cross country in SPD sls which was not great, maybe I'll do the whole shoes left clipped in thing next time.

Easy enough though, park the bike in your allocated bit, into the tent with chairs to swap into run gear, dump bag, desperately ask for gels, get turned down and start running :smile:

At this point everyone starts cheering you - your first name is on the race number so they're all calling out like they know you. Big boost. Brilliant idea. Sadly my family had got caught up and missed the whole race so this local support was critical.

I eat fuel no problems but PowerGels are Satans Vengeance on triathletes. As I squished the nauseating green apple with strawberry vomit in, I wished I'd brought my own gels too. Rain had ruined the path so it was orange splashes all over the shop. The first 7k was hard. Usually I get over the bike to run legs in a mile or two, his time I needed to go to the portaloo for a sit down. When I came out, I was 30 secs per km faster ;)

At this point I'm thinking "man this is hard" and "wow I've nearly finished an ironman event" and "my knees hurt every time I try to push it" and "why the f is everyone so much faster than me?!?!". So I lost about a hundred places on the run to iirc 167th in my age group out of 408.

None of that really mattered at the time as on a three lap course I was running past some people who were a lap behind already, and saw some of the pros finishing their last lap. When I ran up the red carpet through the finish I was grinning ear to ear, only then did I remember my Fitbit and turned it off. I could not believe the time it registered! Under six hours was way way beyond my wildest hopes and dreams.

I spent he next hour trying to find my family, and then flew off to Amsterdam - But that's another story :biggrin:

I'm at Ironman UK in Bolton on Sunday - bib 1409 if you want to follow.

Thanks so much for your support and if anyone wants to chip in... Link

Top Bottom