Irresponsible Scout Leaders blocking cycle path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm still a bit confused

You called the police. Was that to inform them of illegal parking or dodgy water activities?

If it was for dodgy water activities it sounds like you have some specific knowledge of the site that the scouts may not have been aware of. Why not, in those circumstances, let the scout leader know at the time, rather than informing the police? By then the scouts had already been exposed to the risks

If you called the police to inform them of illegal parking why are you turning this into a H&S issue?
<tap tap tap > is this thing on?

Drago

Legendary Member
And, to be fair, all subsequent PMs and SoS's for Local Government (Brown, Cameron, May, Prescott, David Miliband, Kelly, Blears, Denham, Pickles, Clark, Javid) for letting it fester, as well as your local county/unitary councillors and mayors for under-managing the wardens.

Yep, my favourite people - politicians.

Just ask how their actions demonstrate their respect for the Scout Promise, in particular their breach of items 3 and 7 of the Scout Law

Tim Hall

Motorists. Cycle paths are for cyclists, not cars. The clue is in the name "cycle" path. It is not a car path.

It matters not if you're a scout leader, Peter Duncan, or Baden-Powell himself , there is no lawful or moral justification for putting a car on a cycle path. Do not do it!

Right, email that to the scouts and lock the thread.
It's not Peter Duncan anymore, it's Bear Grylls. <Rrrrrraaaaawwwww>

(I was talking to a bloke, Royal Armoured Corps, who'd been on some kind of escape and evasion course with Mr. Grylls. Apparently he had innovative places to hide Mars bars. Or one place anyway.)

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not Peter Duncan anymore, it's Bear Grylls. <Rrrrrraaaaawwwww>

(I was talking to a bloke, Royal Armoured Corps, who'd been on some kind of escape and evasion course with Mr. Grylls. Apparently he had innovative places to hide Mars bars. Or one place anyway.)

The military family is a small place. Everyone knows everyone, or knows someone who does. The word I get back is that he's a nobber, whereas Peter Duncan was in Flash Gordon, and is therefore cool as.

classic33

Leg End Member
The military family is a small place. Everyone knows everyone, or knows someone who does. The word I get back is that he's a nobber, whereas Peter Duncan was in Flash Gordon, and is therefore cool as.
He went down with food poisoning whilst camping, scout camp, did Mr. Grylls.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
<tap tap tap > is this thing on?
I called the fuzz as it's clearly a traffic offence. Many cyclists get berated and fined for riding on pavements. This is clearly a pavement, not a car park or raft launching facility. They didn't want to get a fine for parking on the double yellows but seemed oblivious to the laws governing pavements. usually in these cases i find that people's personal convenience over-rides anything else. Sorry, but what applies to cyclist applies to motorist too.

Is it too much to ask that as a cyclist on a segregated cycle path I shouldn't have to deal with objects that shouldn't be on the cyclepath?.
BTW, here's a lovely raft-launching facility I found in London. Nice and wide, plenty of room for parking the minibus & trailer:okay:
London.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
There is a 25 metre prosecution limit before the CPS will run driving other than on a highway through court. In addition, you need a witness or CCTV who save the vehicle being driven - it could be 50 miles from the nearest road and quite obviously not air dropped into position, bit you still need a human or technical witness to prosecute. With the aforementioned stripping of parking powers from the police, they're pretty much stuffed whennit comes to doing anything about it.

I agree wholeheartedly - designated cycle facilities are just that, no convenient car parks.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
[QUOTE 4843613, member: 259"]I never liked the look of the scouts when I was a kid - it was that weird uniform mainly - but this thread is starting to convince me they were really a bunch of lawbreaking, swashbuckling risk-takers and I'd probably have fitted in very well.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
I was all fired up to join the cubs but I was ill or something, and missed the meeting or whatever. Anyway childhood tribalism being what it is I immediately joined the "Scouts are rubbish" tribe, so when the next opportunity came around I spurned it. I could now be the successful holder of loads of badges, and have useful old lady helping skills. Instead I just turned out to be a failure. Our lives are built on such little things.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

It was a minor role and as I recall, he died. He was in The Exiles, season 2 episode of Space 1999.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Let me guess, it's Bear Grylls so ... In the minibar of your 5 star hotel room? Hidden inside the complimentary basket of fruit?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I called the fuzz as it's clearly a traffic offence. Many cyclists get berated and fined for riding on pavements. This is clearly a pavement, not a car park or raft launching facility. They didn't want to get a fine for parking on the double yellows but seemed oblivious to the laws governing pavements. usually in these cases i find that people's personal convenience over-rides anything else. Sorry, but what applies to cyclist applies to motorist too.

Is it too much to ask that as a cyclist on a segregated cycle path I shouldn't have to deal with objects that shouldn't be on the cyclepath?.
BTW, here's a lovely raft-launching facility I found in London. Nice and wide, plenty of room for parking the minibus & trailer:okay:
View attachment 357211

Given that it was a voluntary organisation trying to give some nice experience to youngsters I would be very much inclined to cut them some slack and forget about it

But Rules Are Rules, hey? Thin end of the wedge and all that....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom