Is 169 miles in one day realistic!?

Can it be done by first time rids riders!?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jkgillespie1

Hi we are planning a ride Easter Sunday, this is our plan, can anyone offer advice !!

Route!

Glouc (gl12tf) to Chelt (gl519fd) = 8.6miles = 40 mins
Chelt (gl519fd) to Worc (wr38hp) = 25miles = 1hr 45
Worc (wr38hp) to Hereford (hr49sb) = 28miles = 2hr
Hereford (hr49sb) to Newport (np194qt) = 45miles = 3hrs
Newport (np194qt) to Cardiff (cf241pq) = 10.2miles = 50mins
Cardiff (cf241pq) to Bridgend (cf313xx) = 20.4miles = 1hr 40
Bridgend (cf313xx) to Swansea (sa54ba) = 20.4miles = 1hr 50
Swansea (sa54ba) to Llanelli (sa129uz) = 9miles = 45mins

Total Miles= 166.6
Average Speed 15mph = 11hrs 8min cycle time (excl stops)

Working on basis you have 5-10min snack stop every hour (fluids / energy) and 15-20min break every 3rd hour for carb snack

8x 10min breaks
X3 20min breaks

2hrs 20mins

Total journey time:

13.5hrs

Depart- 06:00
Arrive - 19:30

Kies

I did 107 with lots of base miles under my belt (20,30 & 40's). Yes it can be done, but difficult for beginners IMO

bianchi1

Guru
I'm going to say no!

15 mph for over 12 hours would be an amazing effort along a not exactly flat route!

If you all train like mad it's possible if the weather is helpful, but be prepared to drop anyone who is slowing you up.

Best of luck anyway

colly

Re member eR
First time riders? I doubt it very much, especially with an average of 15mph. But hey, have a go.
The sensible thing would be to train like buggery for it with a proper structured training program. If they are young and determined who knows?

AndyPeace

As others have said 15mph over that distance would need some solid fitness. On the first 100+mile journey I rode I was going at 12mph avg... I did not build up enough fitness for the ride and the last 60miles ,of the 130 I did, where unpleasant. Prior to that day I'd only been cycling around 6months and my longest day's ride had been 60... I don't think the question should be can you do it; it should be will I enjoy it?

buggi

Bird Saviour
if you train your nuts off, allow yourself more time (average 12mph) stop every 25 miles for 20 to 30 mins to refuel ... and be prepared to hurt like hell. Hell yea! The camaraderie will see you through

Asking the question in the first place speaks volumes, so I would say no chance unless you have an endurance background and even then.......Theoretical times and speeds on paper are all very well but usually bear no resemblance to real world riding, cold, rain, headwinds etc. All of these plus you all would need to be of a similar standard, it only needs one of you to be having a rough day.

classic33

Leg End Member
Done 179 miles to Holyhead, ferry across, and then Dublin to Limerick within the 24 hours. But as others have pointed out you'll be riding as a group. You either go at the pace of the slowest rider or drop them.
That said 130 miles done with a local kids group some years ago, day of the Bradford City FC fire, within 12 hours.
For most of them this was their first long distance ride.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
if you train like billio then you won't be a beginner - you will be someone with some good hard miles behind you if you do some hard 100s then you will know how you will feel so i would say yes definitly as long as you slog some serious training miles in - if you only put an hour here and there then i would forget it . i dont know your fitness but 15mph maybe aiming high and if you bring it down a little it would make the ride more enjoyable and slightly easier , this is only my opinion but i have had a pop at a few longer rides and they can take you to a very dark place and for me the hard bit is about 2thirds the way in when you cant turn home and your a long way from the end - but break it down in your head to the break times and near the end all of a sudden you know you will do it - dog some miles in and get on with it - at worse you have to get picked up - at least you had a go - though the next day when you think you have bust your body dont blame me

marcusjb

Is the time important?

That's the tough bit.

Riding 270km at moderate pace is something you could certainly build up to without too many dramas.

Riding 270km in 13.5 hours takes a lot more effort and conditioning.

You need to decide if that time is important. If not, go for it - build up over winter, ride lots. Audax will be your friend.

If that time is important, ride lots more, mix up endurance miles with harder work, hill repeats, intervals etc. Get your body used to fuelling itself for longer. Learn to not stop a lot.

Either way, fitness is only one part of the story. You need to be comfortable on the bike and that takes a while to dial in. A bike that is comfy for shorter rides may start to show issues as you step up distances.

Lots and lots of people go from very little distance experience to riding 300km Audaxes in this sort of time frame (myself included).

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Part of the training for a ride like that is doing long rides (say 50 miles or more). So once you have trained you are no longer a beginner.

Why not get some serious training in and then decide?

Top Bottom