Is 169 miles in one day realistic!?

Can it be done by first time rids riders!?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I can't see it being possible for a newbie in that time frame :smile: But probably only because I could never do it. Took me and another cyclist 12 hours to do a fairly flat 102 miles, no punctures, Strava had me at a moving average of 13-14 mph. I was pretty saddle sore by the end, could barely sit down for the last couple of miles :blush:

You'll need to do some serious training through the winter (which some have said will be the worst for 50 years :cold:)

I'd plan for a hundred miles and see if you can go further. You'll need to start doing 100+ miles every week with some good long rides (my furthest before then was 71 but a much hillier route on a very hot day)

Oh it can, @gam001 can attest to that.

135 miles and (IIRC) 8000ft of climbing in 1 day, over about 12 hours. He went from zero to 135 miles in about 9 months?

A variant of the Way of the Roses Route that Gam & I have done twice. The first time he did it on a Boardman hybrid too.

Last edited:

gam001

Über Member
Oh it can, @gam001 can attest to that.

135 miles and (IIRC) 800ft of climbing in 1 day, over about 12 hours. He went from zero to 135 miles in about 9 months?

A variant of the Way of the Roses Route that Gam & I have done twice. The first time he did it on a Boardman hybrid too.

Yes, in 5 months (April 10 to Sept 10), I went from my longest ride of 12 miles on the flat (at 13mph) to doing 136 miles / 8,000ft climbing C2C in 1 day (plus cycling 14 miles home after we got off the train, so that's 150 miles in 1 day) averaging around 14-15mph (albeit, with a tailwind and drafting 400bhp on the flats). We even averaged 20mph for the last 30 miles, as @400bhp wanted to catch the 6.20 train - now, that did hurt :wacko:

I started off at 18 stones and did the C2C at around 16.5 stones, so (at 5'8") it wasn't easy - but it definitley is doable! I even did a solo 90-mile C2C the week after from Carlisle to Gretna to Tynemouth :thumbsup:

Building the distance gradually week by week, I don't think I missed a Saturday ride for the full 5 months prep and think this was key. I did my first 100 miler (flattish) only the week before. I also did 3 commutes in the week to work upping my speed (10 miles each way).

Trust me - you can do it if you put your mind to it, plan for it and keep getting out on your bike every week, no excuses - you'll surprise yourself :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
I am sure it can be done...However, I am 41, on the heavy sid,e female, and have a fairly knackered knee that cannot cope with steep hills (not to mention prior back and elbow surgery :blush:)

...I really do believe I couldn't do it, which is what i said, hence my scepticism :smile: Never really been one for stamina, I am happy having done the 100 miles. 2014's challenge in London-Paris, over 3 days, so that's 80ish miles a day...saddle soreness is my biggest concern.

It would be the training through the winter that would do for me ultimately, IF you were planning this for September, then that might be easier

marcusjb

Trust me - you can do it if you put your mind to it, plan for it and keep getting out on your bike every week, no excuses - you'll surprise yourself :thumbsup:

^ that's more like it.

Strong positive thinking.

Riding long distances isn't really that impossible - so long as your pace is moderate, you've got your setup comfortable and you know what food and drink you can handle for long periods. Mental fortitude will see you through most challenges.

vickster

Legendary Member
make sure you get a full night sleep beforehand and have a proper breakfast :smile: And fill your saddle bag with jelly babies (Bassetts or Haribo are best ;) )

VamP

Banned
Yes, in 5 months (April 10 to Sept 10), I went from my longest ride of 12 miles on the flat (at 13mph) to doing 136 miles / 8,000ft climbing C2C in 1 day (plus cycling 14 miles home after we got off the train, so that's 150 miles in 1 day) averaging around 14-15mph (albeit, with a tailwind and drafting 400bhp on the flats). We even averaged 20mph for the last 30 miles, as @400bhp wanted to catch the 6.20 train - now, that did hurt :wacko:

I started off at 18 stones and did the C2C at around 16.5 stones, so (at 5'8") it wasn't easy - but it definitley is doable! I even did a solo 90-mile C2C the week after from Carlisle to Gretna to Tynemouth :thumbsup:

Building the distance gradually week by week, I don't think I missed a Saturday ride for the full 5 months prep and think this was key. I did my first 100 miler (flattish) only the week before. I also did 3 commutes in the week to work upping my speed (10 miles each way).

You're not really a newbie after 5 months of cycling though are you? I did my first century after 2 months of cycling, and by 5 months I was racing. The point of the OP, surely, is can untrained non-cyclists do this? My answer remains; it's possible but not for everyone.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You're not really a newbie after 5 months of cycling though are you? I did my first century after 2 months of cycling, and by 5 months I was racing. The point of the OP, surely, is can untrained non-cyclists do this? My answer remains; it's possible but not for everyone.

Depends, not far off I'd say...

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's possible. I did 233 miles in 16 hours travelling from SE London to NE Lancashire crossing the Peak District south to north. Two questions:

1. How many of you are there? More than 2 and you're onto dodgy territory. A group of 4 or more will take longer to do that kind of distance due to increase risk of puncture/mechanical plus the extra time faffing about that a group seems to create. I don't know why this happens, it just does.
2. Will you enjoy it? At the time probably not. It's a long way and there will be a mental aspect to it. You'll have to force yourself to keep going. However when you look back, you'll think "Wow, what an achievement"

gam001

Über Member
I was a newbie and then trained for 5 months. OP's event is in April, about 5 months away, so similar situation. Unless I have mis-read something.

vickster

Legendary Member
5 months of winter though... :cold: that said, if he can get through the training, the ride (weather permitting) should be a balmy breeze :smile: My first 100 mile attempt was killed by horrid weather...the third downpour killed me off!!

VamP

Banned
I was a newbie and then trained for 5 months. OP's event is in April, about 5 months away, so similar situation. Unless I have mis-read something.

Only the OP can answer. 5 months is plenty to prepare for any distance. I assumed there was a group of disparate non-cyclists so preparation would be not uniformly applied. And as you know, the limiter will be the weakest link in the group.

PpPete

Legendary Member
^ that's more like it.

Strong positive thinking.

Riding long distances isn't really that impossible - so long as your pace is moderate, you've got your setup comfortable and you know what food and drink you can handle for long periods. Mental fortitude will see you through most challenges.

This is the key to it.
I can hold 15 mph moving average for maybe 40 - 50 miles on a good day on a flat(ish) route.
But that's not a moderate pace for me, if I'm going to be doing 169 miles (or anything like that) I plan for 12 mph and hope to manage 13mph.
If you can hang on to the 18mph group on your Sunday morning club run then 15 mph may well be "moderate" for you. Even if you plan to start at that, I'd still expect your speed to drop off further towards the tail end of the ride.

5-10min snack stop every hour (fluids / energy) and 15-20min break every 3rd hour for carb snack13.5hrs
I'd not stop every hour....
Get used to drinking from your bidon on the move, and scoffing a few jelly babies (or whatever) from your back pocket likewise.
Then give yourselves a proper 30 minute sit-down in a cafe every 3 hours.

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Someone (who for now shall remain nameless) once told me that all there is to long distance riding is eating and sleeping. So far he's been proved right. I'd add that you need a bit of stubbornness and a bit of luck (to avoid mechanicals) but this advice has stood me in good stead so far.

Its doable if you are fit enough, earlier this year I rode to the start of the Tour of Flanders Sportive and then done the full event with light gone and the event organisers (left luggage) having lost my front light I decided to opt for a lift back after 180miles :blush: First time riders though I'd say not just now however --->>> train :bicycle:

Top Bottom