Is 169 miles in one day realistic!?

Can it be done by first time rids riders!?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Simple answer: NO. I think you are being very optimistic to keep a 15mph average speed, unless you are super fit and well trained. But I would be happy for you to prove me wrong.

Koga

The above comments include enough detail, however they all assume you are a beginner, the question is are you ?
Age will have some bearing on this.
My opinion, if you don't train, no chance, if you do train anything is possible, but you will soon need to train at distance and you will work it out from there.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I think its do-able, and its a challenge right ^_^ A few years ago after recently getting into road bikes I was an approaching 40 year old ex smoker who winced at the thought of 'training' (still do, I just ride my bike everywhere, I don't train, training is for the kind of person who would go to a gym, I'm not one of those people). I'd done a couple of centuries but wanted to try a solo 200 miles during daylight hours. I did it at the end of May and left after sunrise about 4.30am, I had a ruksak (not recommended for long rides) nearly as heavy as my steel bike, well over 3 hours worth of stops including a full pub lunch, so I was enjoying it not hammering it. Riding time was 13 hours and I managed just over 210 miles before dark. It was hard but brilliant fun, and I'm still boring people with it now:tired:.

So yes its possible but to mirror the sentiments of others there's nowt like practice to give you the belief you can do it. I assume you have a bike at the moment? In winter its harder being out for long rides, but you have a training partner to share motivational duties:hugs:, and the end of April is still 5 months away, so you should be able to get some decent miles in.

And to highlight what Marcus says being comfortable over those distances is a big thing, you need to know if your current saddle will try and cut you in half over 169 miles and you won't know that unless you've done 100 miles on it. (In my experience anything over 150 is damage limitation on the arse front, but maybe I've yet to find my perfect saddle). A centuary is a decent milestone to build towards and by then you should have found a comfortable bike set up and a better idea of your body's eating and drink demands for long days on the bike. (for me this is eat and drink a lot more than I'd think,I eat a lot anyway but on long rides I'm like Augustus Gloop:hungry:)

The direction you are going means it will likely be a headwind all the way so take turns on the front and my only other advice would be to not set off too fast, and have lights or a back up plan if it looks like you are going to miss your imposed time limit.

And of course, like me you'll be telling the tales of your intrepid adventure for many years to come, and you can cling to that thought if you have any rough patches on the way. Remember you'll get more mileage from the stories than you manage on the ride:smile:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Total Miles= 166.6
Average Speed 15mph = 11hrs 8min cycle time (excl stops)

Working on basis you have 5-10min snack stop every hour (fluids / energy) and 15-20min break every 3rd hour for carb snack

8x 10min breaks
X3 20min breaks

2hrs 20mins

Total journey time:

13.5hrs

Depart- 06:00
Arrive - 19:30

What equation are you using to determine that you will not get any delays due to punctures etc as I notice you have not given any time to the possibility of mechanicals or people coming off?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Easily do-able in a day, with the right training. I would start earlier than 6am though - you need to give yourself as much time as possible.

They dont have much daylight to play with.
Easter Sunday is 20th April,
Sunrise 05.55hrs - sunset 20.05hrs

What equation are you using to determine that you will not get any delays due to punctures etc as I notice you have not given any time to the possibility of mechanicals or people coming off?

You can only plan for things you can predict with some degree of certainty..

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't see it being possible for a newbie in that time frame :smile: But probably only because I could never do it. Took me and another cyclist 12 hours to do a fairly flat 102 miles, no punctures, Strava had me at a moving average of 13-14 mph. I was pretty saddle sore by the end, could barely sit down for the last couple of miles :blush:

You'll need to do some serious training through the winter (which some have said will be the worst for 50 years :cold:)

I'd plan for a hundred miles and see if you can go further. You'll need to start doing 100+ miles every week with some good long rides (my furthest before then was 71 but a much hillier route on a very hot day)

Dismount

I think it depends on the person(s) 169 miles at the thought of this, my mind says 'no, are your crazy' the answer is yes :crazy:. Moving on, people have mentioned physical but for a ride of this length you will also need to condition the mind. I thinking prior training is a must

One long ride a week, build this up 35, 50 and 75
One intense ride a week 20 to 25 miles
Never use the same route mix it up

On the day try keep loose
Don't stop for to long a period of time, you will get stiff - never sit down and get comfy (unless on your bike) ^_^
Drink frequently
You will need calories, hourly

Most of all enjoy the scenery and have fun best wishes to you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Possible, but unlikely!

What is the logic behind the route you proposed? It seems a bit arbitrary to ride through 9 towns/cities, and that would also potentially slow you down and make the task harder.

If there is a good reason for that route? For example, you are calling in at offices in each town to raise money for charity? If not, then do yourselves a favour and cut the route down to 100 miles and avoid the towns. You would definitely be able to achieve that with sensible preparation, but it would still be a good challenge for you all to aim for. Try and do the century in 6 hours of actual riding. That's a good steady and realistic target to have a go at!

Top Bottom